Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 04:50 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer232 View Post
I'm trying to leave the island. I'm very depressed here. I feel so beaten down. I have lost hope in life.
Wherever you go, there you are. Have to fix the insides before the outsides matter. If it's all about money, def move, there are fine cheaper places around, but finances are proportional. People in the ex-pat utopias struggle too. Don't buy into all the superstars on here who left with home sale windfalls or NY pensions and 401ks or paid for job transfers (by the companies who fled like MSC and Arrow). I can be rich too if I sell my house and buy a double wide in S. Carolina, but that sounds like purgatory to me and my wife and kid would straight lop my head off.

Still, LI is a ridiculous place for anyone under 35, over 70 or without kids to live. It's a place for martyr moms and dads to make as much $ as possible, raise kids, build some property wealth and eventually gtfo. It could be a great place, but it refuses to develop or compete. It wants to just hide as some suburban utopia. Unfortunately if a region isn't growing, it's dying. Dying regions never become utopias. Growing ones do. That is why LI was a utopia in the 50-60's and now it's a crumbling pile of elitist dung built on corruption, apathy, greed and debt.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 10-30-2019 at 04:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 05:58 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Wherever you go, there you are. Have to fix the insides before the outsides matter. If it's all about money, def move, there are fine cheaper places around, but finances are proportional. People in the ex-pat utopias struggle too. Don't buy into all the superstars on here who left with home sale windfalls or NY pensions and 401ks or paid for job transfers (by the companies who fled like MSC and Arrow). I can be rich too if I sell my house and buy a double wide in S. Carolina, but that sounds like purgatory to me and my wife and kid would straight lop my head off.

Still, LI is a ridiculous place for anyone under 35, over 70 or without kids to live. It's a place for martyr moms and dads to make as much $ as possible, raise kids, build some property wealth and eventually gtfo. It could be a great place, but it refuses to develop or compete. It wants to just hide as some suburban utopia. Unfortunately if a region isn't growing, it's dying. Dying regions never become utopias. Growing ones do. That is why LI was a utopia in the 50-60's and now it's a crumbling pile of elitist dung built on corruption, apathy, greed and debt.
I have to agree with this. We were fortunate in our choice of new home when we moved from Long Island which was still cooking, to a location that was struggling, but was about to make a big turn around. The crazy thing is we essentially lived the life our parents did on Long Island. The key is to get into an area where growth is early enough to get in on the first floor but far enough along where it’s not a big gamble.

FWIW, I think LI can make a big comeback as it’s really a feature rich location.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:23 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I have to agree with this. We were fortunate in our choice of new home when we moved from Long Island which was still cooking, to a location that was struggling, but was about to make a big turn around. The crazy thing is we essentially lived the life our parents did on Long Island. The key is to get into an area where growth is early enough to get in on the first floor but far enough along where it’s not a big gamble.

FWIW, I think LI can make a big comeback as it’s really a feature rich location.
That's funny because where you moved to sounds a lot like where I moved to. The area is called "emerging," with dynamic and growing film and tech industries, and the state is rolling in dough thanks to billions flowing out of the Permian Basin. It's still under the radar, so growth is steady but manageable. There's simply not enough water to handle a large, quick population influx. Crime is the main problem, and few to no whines about taxes here.

I'm not so sure about the LI comeback you mentioned, or what it could look like. Something drastic would have to happen to effect major change on LI, like a catastrophic storm. To me, LI's dysfunction is locked in place.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:49 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
To me, LI's dysfunction is locked in place.
Invented and perfected right here!!

The only problem for youse guys is the ex-pats take it with them and get elected in your new digs. Sooner or later, the problems will appear. Easy when flush with oil money. Not so easy when it dries and industry flees. But then, that is why Austin and Dallas are class cities and 'burbs ranked in the top 5 every year and LI slides further down the QOL ladder. It can't attract industry or youth or mid-level career changers, or development due to cost, obstruction and lack of options. If you're 50+ on LI and get "down sized" good freaking luck with the 2-3 low paying "gig" jobs you will get to rely on to survive here. If it happens in central TX, you can find another decent payer in a month. THAT is the difference between real growth and economic "opportunity" vs nimby fueled slow death like LI. So sad when Texas is way more progressive than New York, but it is what it is. Zeldin is a bigger dipstick than Ted Cruz...and holy crap I never imagined any bigger ding dong than Cruz.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:32 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Invented and perfected right here!!

The only problem for youse guys is the ex-pats take it with them and get elected in your new digs. Sooner or later, the problems will appear. Easy when flush with oil money. Not so easy when it dries and industry flees. But then, that is why Austin and Dallas are class cities and 'burbs ranked in the top 5 every year and LI slides further down the QOL ladder. It can't attract industry or youth or mid-level career changers, or development due to cost, obstruction and lack of options. If you're 50+ on LI and get "down sized" good freaking luck with the 2-3 low paying "gig" jobs you will get to rely on to survive here. If it happens in central TX, you can find another decent payer in a month. THAT is the difference between real growth and economic "opportunity" vs nimby fueled slow death like LI. So sad when Texas is way more progressive than New York, but it is what it is. Zeldin is a bigger dipstick than Ted Cruz...and holy crap I never imagined any bigger ding dong than Cruz.
Yes, all that, but I think LI's problems are deeply rooted in the multi-tier political structure. All those unnecessary layers of government and thousands of cronies on the public dole are at least half the problem. The schools seem to burn taxpayer cash to heat the classrooms.

LI people become accustomed to $15K property tax bills, but everywhere else it's ludicrous. LI's lack of industry and good jobs disappearing is rooted in this problem. It's a 1950s government, which was set up for local control, and it evolved into a racket. LI'ers have oftentimes encouraged the high taxes out of fear of "the city," and it has spiraled out of control.

Let's face it: LI isn't particularly special, except for its NYC access. It would be mostly a rustic, beachy area sans NYC proximity. Land would be cheap and housing would be sparse without this economic engine nearby.

Nimbyism comes from protectionist urges to keep their little fort comfortable and valuable. Homeowners pay so much of their dough for housing, and yearly keep ploughing more into the taxman's pocket. They want to sell it for top dollar when they decide to get out.

Both Texas and New Mexico are raking in Permian Basin dough. The US has become the #1 energy producer (or near the top). This one of the few positive stories of this decade.

Last edited by manekeniko; 10-30-2019 at 10:44 AM..

Old 10-30-2019, 10:52 AM

412 posts, read 289,784 times
Long Island is so overcrowded that no one wants to live here.

Something Yogi Berra would say...

Old 10-30-2019, 11:30 AM

186 posts, read 217,935 times
Thank you. Im trying. I need a change of senery. I would like to move to Tampa. Long Island is so expensive and I don't make good money. I went to school for medical assisting. I can't break into the field here. I'm middle aged. I just have no quality of life here. It's depressing.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:40 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Yes, all that, but I think LI's problems are deeply rooted in the multi-tier political structure. All those unnecessary layers of government and thousands of cronies on the public dole are at least half the problem. The schools seem to burn taxpayer cash to heat the classrooms.

LI people become accustomed to $15K property tax bills, but everywhere else it's ludicrous. LI's lack of industry and good jobs disappearing is rooted in this problem. It's a 1950s government, which was set up for local control, and it evolved into a racket. LI'ers have oftentimes encouraged the high taxes out of fear of "the city," and it has spiraled out of control.

Let's face it: LI isn't particularly special, except for its NYC access. It would be mostly a rustic, beachy area sans NYC proximity. Land would be cheap and housing would be sparse without this economic engine nearby.

Nimbyism comes from protectionist urges to keep their little fort comfortable and valuable. Homeowners pay so much of their dough for housing, and yearly keep ploughing more into the taxman's pocket. They want to sell it for top dollar when they decide to get out.

Both Texas and New Mexico are raking in Permian Basin dough. The US has become the #1 energy producer (or near the top). This one of the few positive stories of this decade.
Without NYC it’d be the Outer Banks, and I don’t mean that as an insult. Long Island is an incredibly beautiful place and without NYC it’d likely have stayed farming, fishing and summer resorts.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:54 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer232 View Post
Thank you. Im trying. I need a change of senery. I would like to move to Tampa. Long Island is so expensive and I don't make good money. I went to school for medical assisting. I can't break into the field here. I'm middle aged. I just have no quality of life here. It's depressing.
This is not a finger wag reply, but, please before you make the leap to that area or any other area, go on INDEED.com, or MONSTER.com and check out what your options are for a job. Often in that field the pay is little better than minimum and often hard to break into. If you have family in the area and that is part of the reason for the relo there, I understand that, but before you head there, be sure that is what you want all the way around. I am sure that you would not be the first person to move closer to family and then it doesn't pan out like you hoped.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:55 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Long Island is so overcrowded that no one wants to live here.

Something Yogi Berra would say...
How can it be overcrowded if no one wants to live here? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island