Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2019, 09:31 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I felt that way when I was younger. I get plenty of interaction when my second job begins at night going to games and track meets and so on. And I talk to and IM my co workers throughout the day. I’m definitely over the being in the office thing.
Exactly - as you get older and have other priorities, convenience & freedom are king. WFH is the primary factor when I look for my next job. So far lucky with 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 01:02 PM

186 posts, read 217,882 times
I wish I could leave long island. I'm barely surviving here.Low pay. High taxes. Out of control red light camera program. Very depressing place to live.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:24 PM

376 posts, read 310,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Exactly - as you get older and have other priorities, convenience & freedom are king. WFH is the primary factor when I look for my next job. So far lucky with 2.
It has nothing to do with age but more with personality. I’m the type that goes anywhere and talks with every and anyone, perhaps a bit too much.

I just like interaction and working from home would make me age quicker.

Plus there are very very few jobs that pay well (LI standards 6 figures) that allow you to work from home on a permanent basis

Old 10-23-2019, 02:36 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer232 View Post
I wish I could leave long island. I'm barely surviving here.Low pay. High taxes. Out of control red light camera program. Very depressing place to live.
I personally love living here.

People always want the "cheap" living then they b*tch & moan about how they wish they were back on LI.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:05 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I personally love living here.

People always want the "cheap" living then they b*tch & moan about how they wish they were back on LI.
Not everyone.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:37 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Not everyone.
I would say most and the others just won't admit it.

That's why they still visit these forums … a bit of feelings in the heart, they can't stop thinking about us

Old 10-24-2019, 01:41 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,158,452 times
The returning posters are cyclical. When they are having a tough time in their new home or feel lonely they come back to hear us bitching about the usual taxes and cost of living and it helps them better tolerate their new area a little while.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:57 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
The returning posters are cyclical. When they are having a tough time in their new home or feel lonely they come back to hear us bitching about the usual taxes and cost of living and it helps them better tolerate their new area a little while.
For many people the money saved off LI can easily pay for a trip to NYC to see the tree and some shows. Most people living on LI never leave the island.

And the kind of people who can't adjust or have a "tough time" are like any others - no matter where they come from or go to. There are so many options in the US and worldwide to cater to anyone's tastes. For many that's LI, for many others it's elsewhere.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:15 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
For many people the money saved off LI can easily pay for a trip to NYC to see the tree and some shows. Most people living on LI never leave the island.

And the kind of people who can't adjust or have a "tough time" are like any others - no matter where they come from or go to. There are so many options in the US and worldwide to cater to anyone's tastes. For many that's LI, for many others it's elsewhere.
Exactly! I've got one kid who moved to a low cost of living area and can't wait to come back. The kid has a beautiful apartment with a terrace and fireplace with more closets than we have in our home. There's a pool and a gym and practically pays rent for the same that I pay to PSE&G per month. The weather is awful and there's nothing there to do except drink, which is a popular past time over there.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:44 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would say most and the others just won't admit it.

That's why they still visit these forums … a bit of feelings in the heart, they can't stop thinking about us
Always thinking of my former neighbors.

And visiting is so much more fun when you know you don’t have to pay for the day to day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island