Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2019, 06:38 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
When I took into consideration that my (current) property taxes will consume 20% of my projected SS retirement benefits, there will be a For Sale sign on my front lawn and I will be moving to NH or Maine. Snow and grey winters do not bother me. Why should I pay a king's ransom in taxes to useless political hacks and the schools? No bagel or pizza is worth that much.
This!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 05:10 PM

186 posts, read 217,935 times
I'm trying to move off long island. I have really suffered here

Old 10-15-2019, 09:08 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer232 View Post
I'm trying to move off long island. I have really suffered here
In the words of Master Yoda, "do or do not...there is no try".

Old 10-18-2019, 02:26 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
When I took into consideration that my (current) property taxes will consume 20% of my projected SS retirement benefits, there will be a For Sale sign on my front lawn and I will be moving to NH or Maine. Snow and grey winters do not bother me. Why should I pay a king's ransom in taxes to useless political hacks and the schools? No bagel or pizza is worth that much.
From what I've heard, property taxes in NH and Maine are not exactly a bargain. Not sure, but you might want to look into that.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:04 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
From what I've heard, property taxes in NH and Maine are not exactly a bargain. Not sure, but you might want to look into that.
Yeah Maine is terrible and very expensive.
Everyone should stay away from Maine.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:57 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
I've lived in many different places, including 2 other countries, but I've lived on Long Island the longest. I'm approaching retirement -- 6 years away -- and am now researching less expensive areas to move to. As much as I thought I couldn't wait to get out of here, I'm finding that LI really does have it all, and I may consider staying. I thought about Florida, but I have a huge bug phobia, and I've been told by many locals there that I should just forget anyplace in the deep south (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, maybe even the Carolinas). I thought about New Hampshire or Maine, but they have such long and gray and snowy winters, and that's not for me. I currently live about 10 minutes from the beach, 15 minutes from a good hospital, minutes from abundant shopping, 40 minutes from Manhattan on a fairly decent LIRR line. There isn't any kind of food that I can't get here, entertainment I can't see, or activity I can't find. Living in so many places has taught me that every place will have it's drawbacks. But all things considered, I think Long Island is a pretty good place to live.
Good points here. When looking for a place to live when approaching retirement, many people don't think ten years ahead, they're thinking golf courses and beaches ..
Are there large hospitals in the area ? Might not be a factor at 62, may be a factor at 72.
Would you be comfortable living in a state where open gun carry is permitted ?
How about smoking in restaurants ? Might be an issue if you're a non-smoker and eat out often.
Things like that.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:15 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Good points here. When looking for a place to live when approaching retirement, many people don't think ten years ahead, they're thinking golf courses and beaches ..
Are there large hospitals in the area ? Might not be a factor at 62, may be a factor at 72.
Would you be comfortable living in a state where open gun carry is permitted ?
How about smoking in restaurants ? Might be an issue if you're a non-smoker and eat out often.
Things like that.
i agree with all of this. My DH and I both have parents that lived well into their 80s (his mother died at 90 and his dad is still kicking at 91)....there's old and then there's OLD. The slide starts around 75 and then picks up speed, how fast it goes downhill depends on the person. But many if not most people have not seen people aging to that extent, and don't realize how it's gonna go.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:46 AM

46 posts, read 22,618 times
New York City and areas around it remain the highest prized areas to live across the globe.

The ratio of housing to income is the lowest here in the world. You will never beat it not matter how high the taxes go, how high it costs to live because the incomes will go higher.

Thank you, but if you cannot make it here, you aren't willing to give it everything. That is fine if you don't, but complaining won't do you anything good.

I'm paying a dirt cheap 2500 mortgage (with taxes). Income is nearly 6 times the house mortgage. I'm good thanks.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:13 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsenuh View Post
New York City and areas around it remain the highest prized areas to live across the globe.

The ratio of housing to income is the lowest here in the world. You will never beat it not matter how high the taxes go, how high it costs to live because the incomes will go higher.

Thank you, but if you cannot make it here, you aren't willing to give it everything. That is fine if you don't, but complaining won't do you anything good.

I'm paying a dirt cheap 2500 mortgage (with taxes). Income is nearly 6 times the house mortgage. I'm good thanks.
Its only a prize if its something you want. Its not a matter of "making it" as you put it but what quality of life you want and for many the end dollar is not worth what you have to put up with.

To assume that posters "aren't willing to give it everything" sounds like arrogance on your part but then you write like a single professional who only has to take of care of themselves.

As for "complaining" we are genetically pre-disposed to it, were New Yorkers it goes with the territory...

Old 10-19-2019, 10:35 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Its only a prize if its something you want. .
yeah living with tenants is an absolute no-go for me and I made it a point to live where others couldn't have them either. I remember many couples I knew just starting out having big arguments about whether to have a tenant or not, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island