Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 10:16 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Love NoVA! Traffic makes it a no-go (literally). if I could live anywhere, though, I'd probably live there. Housing too expensive though. DC is a great city and most things are free. Easy to get in and out on the metro. Great schools with lower taxes. My niece just moved to Alexandria for her husband's job.

Where can you get the exact same or better? Depends on what you really want - there's always a trade off. Raleigh is really a big suburb with a small city core. Durham is cool. Chapel Hill has some nice things but it's mainly a college town (you better love Carolina blue, even the firetrucks are that color). Everyone wants walkability now...so that's what they're building. I could live without all the build-up - gonna look like Nassau County in 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 01:12 PM

622 posts, read 853,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
So where did you move to? All of your CD posts still consist of LI posts. Nothing to write about or ask about in the new neighborhood in a year?

LOL, well the local forum for where I moved in the Southwest really doesn't have much complaining. Seems like in my 25 years of living on LI, I really honed my complaint skills. Hence I still come back here for yucks and complaints. Funny, not much has changed on LI since we left. More wooded acreage has been mowed down as they put up more assisted living facilities and apartment houses. More sugar sand, once plentiful on LI, has been mined and stripped off. Oh and people are still livid over the LIRR, COL and taxes. Somethings never change.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
LOL, well the local forum for where I moved in the Southwest really doesn't have much complaining. Seems like in my 25 years of living on LI, I really honed my complaint skills. Hence I still come back here for yucks and complaints. Funny, not much has changed on LI since we left. More wooded acreage has been mowed down as they put up more assisted living facilities and apartment houses. More sugar sand, once plentiful on LI, has been mined and stripped off. Oh and people are still livid over the LIRR, COL and taxes. Somethings never change.
Not sure that local forums just have to be about complaining. In fact it could be a useful tool for people looking to relocate to that area. That is why I am surprised you haven't written a single post in your new location's forum. No questions about your new area? No new discoveries to share with your fellow residents?

If we didn't know better we might just think you are lonely in your new area and deep down really want to return back here!

Old 09-15-2019, 02:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
or...another low tax utopia proves to be cheap, but boring. LI: High median income, high COL. Not really rocket science. The corruption and public union shenanigans?! Well, we invented and perfected that, but fortunately are mostly exporting it to those low cost utopias now. Keep an eye on your tax base. Here come the IDA's!!

Old 09-15-2019, 02:49 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
The issue is most people here venture out "locally" to vacation spots like the Poconos, Finger Lakes, or Catskills. And it doesn't have the same everyday amenities as here (who vacations in another suburb next to a large city?). You have to drive a lot farther just to get to the store. And then there's only a Dollar General while the Walmart is 25 minutes away from there. And the food is basic, rarely with variety. So unless you come from such scant services and amenities, everyone's going to like where they come from as home.

Instead start telling us how where you are is the exact same or better. I loved a few NoVA areas myself. Walkable newer mixed suburban-city infrastructure with plenty to see, eat, and partake. And you don't get ripped off with where the taxes go. Downside is the higher priced homes to start and the area traffic.
What you ask for is a perspective, I have never heard of someone basing their impression of outside NYC Metro based on a weekend trip to the Poconos/Catskills. I and others have posted over the years of what life away from Metro NYC is like but for many the beaches, food, schools are never adequate for them. Most sentences include "with a city like NY" or "You can go to the city" well if everything other than beaches has to be compared to NYC than nothing can compare.

As to your question I live outside Richmond VA, same as another poster on here and there are a lot of people from the NY area. All your observations in NOVA are here but at a far more manageable prices, less traffic and the low taxes you observed. I think here you have a quality of life you can actually enjoy and don't have to go broke to have we also have sewers, no septics unless you choose to live out in the country...

Old 09-15-2019, 06:48 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
It’s hard to compare Richmond to Long Island, but here’s why I like it.
You can pick your living lifestyle.
If you like the burbs you have the choice of several different ones. If you like country living where you have acres of land you’re covered. You can even live more in the mountains only an hour away. And now that the city is coming back you have that choice too with everything from loft living, to historic houses.
The area is also really usable with most things within a 20 minute drive. Also day trips to the mountains is a breeze, as is the amusement parks.
Another great feature is there are numerous walkable options for young people to work, live and play.
And there are festivals, great restaurants and museums to visit.
The only real gripe are the summers can be brutal.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
^ You forgot there is no salt water unless you’re driving a good ways.

I love the salt life!

Old 09-15-2019, 09:30 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post

I love the salt life!
And it is something I miss, but I get to the Caribbean four times a year for sand, surf and sun.
So while not a weekly trip to RMSP I do get beach in the winter.

I also have friends with places in OBX who head there every weekend.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:57 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post

I love the salt life!
The drive isn't that far and far closer than the mountains are for you plus we don't have to go through the traffic and expense of someplace like NYC just to get to the mainland. If Salt Water living is a preference you could live an hour east and be far closer to salt water and still be within a commute to metro Richmond.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:09 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The drive isn't that far and far closer than the mountains are for you plus we don't have to go through the traffic and expense of someplace like NYC just to get to the mainland. If Salt Water living is a preference you could live an hour east and be far closer to salt water and still be within a commute to metro Richmond.
Ok Va beach the closest ocean beach (not the bay) is hours away from Richmond. You guys may love it there and that’s fine but as far as beaches go there is no comparison between Richmond and LI. If someone that loves living near the beach or a reasonable distance from the ocean even are looking elsewhere then Richmond is not the place to look.

Also as though I’m sure the suburbs are nice Richmond itself has some of the worst crime rates in the country where 1 in 4 live below the poverty line.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247wall...-capitals/amp/

Last edited by Yac; 09-17-2019 at 06:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island