Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2019, 01:46 PM

46 posts, read 22,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Its only a prize if its something you want. Its not a matter of "making it" as you put it but what quality of life you want and for many the end dollar is not worth what you have to put up with.

To assume that posters "aren't willing to give it everything" sounds like arrogance on your part but then you write like a single professional who only has to take of care of themselves.

As for "complaining" we are genetically pre-disposed to it, were New Yorkers it goes with the territory...

I have a mini-family to take care of actually. Money is a common source of problems, so instead of being broke, working smart and hard to get to the point where you can have a family without providing their lives an uphill battle is worth it.

It's not arrogance, but a lot of people stop doing work, whether tired, boring, or worn out. I keep going to till my body drops dead, every day.

Do I want to live it like this till I die? No, but if this puts me ahead of 90% of people, then yes, I will do it even if I die. At least my kids will have a better start. I could care less about my personal opinions and quality of life. I am making this sacrifice because that's what you have to do in this world, do something that most other people aren't doing to make it better, otherwise I'll be just washed away like the rest of the middle class has been over the past 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 04:37 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
If you'e working till your body drops every day you aren't even middle class. No way to live and you'll never learn to spend your money on things you enjoy. You'll just hoard it till you die but at some point before that you'll wonder why.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:40 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you'e working till your body drops every day you aren't even middle class. No way to live and you'll never learn to spend your money on things you enjoy. You'll just hoard it till you die but at some point before that you'll wonder why.
I had an uncle that way. Extremely cheap/thrifty, even built his own house. Run-down used cars, never took a vacation, 50 year old furniture, etc. but saved a ton in the bank. Died after a short bout with cancer and my cousins made out well with their inheritance.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:49 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsenuh View Post
I have a mini-family to take care of actually. Money is a common source of problems, so instead of being broke, working smart and hard to get to the point where you can have a family without providing their lives an uphill battle is worth it.

It's not arrogance, but a lot of people stop doing work, whether tired, boring, or worn out. I keep going to till my body drops dead, every day.

Do I want to live it like this till I die? No, but if this puts me ahead of 90% of people, then yes, I will do it even if I die. At least my kids will have a better start. I could care less about my personal opinions and quality of life. I am making this sacrifice because that's what you have to do in this world, do something that most other people aren't doing to make it better, otherwise I'll be just washed away like the rest of the middle class has been over the past 30 years.
No idea what a mini family is but real families cost no matter how well you "work smart and hard" but I agree its worth it. You think working to possible death will put you ahead of most and create a better life for your kids it won't; just be a parent and that's the best that you can do for them. I see to many people who are adults with legal guardians rather than a parent, they will love you just as much in the long run without the ski vacations and Disney trips every other year.

It is arrogance when you say"if you cannot make it here, you aren't willing to give it everything", you are assuming someone didn't try. Not everyone has job skills that can return a good income, many people are supporting real families with real issues, many people have had health concerns that affected them. And yes there are people that look at the QOL return for killing yourself with the commute and everything else and decide that its not worth it. You can have a great QOL in many places pizza & bagels included.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:58 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It is arrogance when you say"if you cannot make it here, you aren't willing to give it everything", you are assuming someone didn't try.
That's an accurate statement if you work on Wall Street or in another position that requires proximity to NYC and its commute and can't pay the same elsewhere. For many roles and industries you can make the same - not even adjusted for COL, actually the same - living elsewhere.

Quote:
You can have a great QOL in many places pizza & bagels included.
And a bigger/newer house, lower taxes, excellent schools, better commute, less stress, etc. etc.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:18 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Some people enjoy the work they do so it's fun and they don't mind.

I LOVE my job. I much prefer choosing to work on a weekend than sitting on my butt watching TV doing nothing productive.

And, yes, I am middle class.

I am not planning to retire. I will probably literally drop dead @ my desk hahah

Old 10-22-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Some people enjoy the work they do so it's fun and they don't mind.

I LOVE my job. I much prefer choosing to work on a weekend than sitting on my butt watching TV doing nothing productive.

And, yes, I am middle class.

I am not planning to retire. I will probably literally drop dead @ my desk hahah
Liking what you do and working till your body is ready to drop are two entirely different things. And study after study bears out which is actually better for you.

I have a pretty sweet gig myself and work from home full time but when quitting time rolls around, I'm done unless asked to do otherwise. There's a whole wide world between working till you drop and sitting around doing nothing productive.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:56 AM

376 posts, read 310,837 times
Quote:
Liking what you do and working till your body is ready to drop are two entirely different things. And study after study bears out which is actually better for you.

I have a pretty sweet gig myself and work from home full time but when quitting time rolls around, I'm done unless asked to do otherwise. There's a whole wide world between working till you drop and sitting around doing nothing productive.
Well working from home isn’t totally exciting tho. That’s why when quitting time comes, you have no objection. In my case I work in aerospace which is what I went to school for and I very much enjoy my job. I also enjoy daily interaction with other people and I would be miserable if I had to work from home with no outside interaction.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
Well working from home isn’t totally exciting tho. That’s why when quitting time comes, you have no objection. In my case I work in aerospace which is what I went to school for and I very much enjoy my job. I also enjoy daily interaction with other people and I would be miserable if I had to work from home with no outside interaction.
I felt that way when I was younger. I get plenty of interaction when my second job begins at night going to games and track meets and so on. And I talk to and IM my co workers throughout the day. I’m definitely over the being in the office thing.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:27 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
Yes I find working @ home quite boring (the few days a year I do it). I can only have a conversation with my dog so many times lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island