Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2019, 08:14 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times

Advertisements

Florida, under pressure from NY, had to up the vehicle fees and regulations because if you remember back in the day, there was an epidemic of NY'ers using FL addresses to register and insure their vehicles because it was far cheaper than NY. Mostly for the lower insurance costs (which is not the case anymore).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 08:26 AM

655 posts, read 1,061,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Florida, under pressure from NY, had to up the vehicle fees and regulations because if you remember back in the day, there was an epidemic of NY'ers using FL addresses to register and insure their vehicles because it was far cheaper than NY. Mostly for the lower insurance costs (which is not the case anymore).

They (NY) needs to do the same for all those PA/MD/IL license plates I am seeing everywhere.
But they may be harder to track for obvious reasons.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:09 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
They (NY) needs to do the same for all those PA/MD/IL license plates I am seeing everywhere.
Those out of state plates are usually because of other "legal" issues...

Old 11-27-2019, 10:32 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
Why are you so surprised that out of state plates are prevalent? Wouldn't most alert neighbors report seeing an out of state plate in a driveway/parking lot day in and day out. I mean they call the town for excessive leaf blower usage, this is far more serious...

Old 11-27-2019, 07:41 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislanddude View Post
50% is an exaggeration, but for what you get your money can still go much further in Jersey than Nassau county. For $1 mio, you can get a 3000+ sqft house that is < 10y old with taxes under 20k in a decent town whereas that same house in Nassau would be well north of 1.5 mio.
wtf is mio?
and please cite examples for your claims, and make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:01 AM

363 posts, read 443,272 times
unless your parents are giving you a house, it would be pretty much impossible for any normal kid to save up 20% for a downpayment andbe able to pay over a grand a month in property tax....

Old 11-28-2019, 09:24 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Thank you, Robert Moses, for giving us that marvelous entity known as the Public Authority.

LIRR, Metro-North and TBTA all were subsidiary corporations under the Metropolitan Transportation Authority aegis. Hence, by paying 6+ bucks to cross the Throggie, I am subsidizing some hipster's 3-stop ride on the dopey G train, never mind that the thing doesn't in fact go anywhere.
years ago, our AT&T land line phone bill had an "MTA Surcharge". I never figured that one out.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:58 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolish1 View Post
unless your parents are giving you a house, it would be pretty much impossible for any normal kid to save up 20% for a downpayment andbe able to pay over a grand a month in property tax....
Hello neighbor to the north. I tell people here about LI taxes and the reaction ranges from shock to disbelief. If there's to be a NYC downturn it's over for LI r.e.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:08 AM

174 posts, read 106,677 times
And the sun will become a Red Giant in only 7-8 billion years. Start preparing.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:00 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
And the sun will become a Red Giant in only 7-8 billion years. Start preparing.
That’s the problem - LI won’t collapse today or tomorrow. But how much longer can this be realistically kept up?

I see 10 years no problem.

But as time moves on the population growth on LI doesn’t keep up with the nation as a whole. LI loses representation in Congress. Less federal funding to keep things afloat.

We may all be long dead by then but it’s not unreasonable to think 50 years from now LI turns into more of a backwater when many NYC jobs don’t have to be done in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island