Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 02:28 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,158,452 times

Advertisements

And so the bickering on a 2 year old thread continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 03:46 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
It’s always the same LI Debbie downers over and over. I don’t even read it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
And so the bickering on a 2 year old thread continues.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:54 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
There will always be inventory available for sale and it will all get sold. My aunt literally got an offer on her house 4 days after she put it for sale - there are a lot of people hungry for good homes here …
If your aunt lived in Western Nassau near a train I wouldn’t be surprised. If she was in Central Suffolk I would be.

As long as there are commutable high paying jobs LI will be in demand, at least within a 60 minute commute.

Where it gets tougher is when a ton of jobs in the middle of Suffolk disappeared - Symbol, CA and so on. CA had over 2000 people on LI and friends tell me it’s down to under 200 since it was sold. Many of those people lived east of Exit 58.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
It’s always the same LI Debbie downers over and over. I don’t even read it anymore.
It’s honestly getting ridiculous.

Go hate on LI elsewhere. So sick of ppl coming in here and b*tching about LI, esp if they’ve left. Let bygones be bygones, you left!

And for those still here that hate it, please just leave already.

I would like to live my comfortable awesome LI life in peace .... Sayonara!

Dawgy out (for now)

Old 12-04-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If your aunt lived in Western Nassau near a train I wouldn’t be surprised. If she was in Central Suffolk I would be.

As long as there are commutable high paying jobs LI will be in demand, at least within a 60 minute commute.

Where it gets tougher is when a ton of jobs in the middle of Suffolk disappeared - Symbol, CA and so on. CA had over 2000 people on LI and friends tell me it’s down to under 200 since it was sold. Many of those people lived east of Exit 58.
Yup Western Nassau. I was surprised how fast she sold it. Still on the isle, just downsizing

Old 12-04-2019, 05:25 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yup Western Nassau. I was surprised how fast she sold it. Still on the isle, just downsizing
My house was in eastern nassau only a few miles from suffolk and we had multiple over ask offers before we even had the damn open house. Nassau and near train with “perceived” good schools = sold. Wouldn’t be so bad if 300k people left LI less traffic and congestion.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:02 PM

174 posts, read 106,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post

"B-b-b-but the suburbs are bastions of conformity and lack the authenticity of city life!!"

Garden-variety knee-jerk pap from the 60s boho playbook, assist to the late Jane Jacobs. Of course Jacobs was proven wildly wrong (in two countries, yet) but some people still think this sort of silliness is quite daringly transgressive.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:07 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,902 times
Another study to be taken with a pinch of - you know what -

https://www.gobankingrates.com/makin...iggest-cities/

If you are not happy... Don't be sad - be mad !
Btw, it really does not matter what you earn anywhere - it matters how much is left over each month.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
My house was in eastern nassau only a few miles from suffolk and we had multiple over ask offers before we even had the damn open house. Nassau and near train with “perceived” good schools = sold. Wouldn’t be so bad if 300k people left LI less traffic and congestion.
My thing with schools is like if you are an involved parent and your kid has more than one brain cell, he/she will probably get a pretty decent education. Your high school doesn't determine your success as an adult.

But I mean I get it. People want good schools, that's cool. Still even the worst schools on LI are pretty good compared to most of the schools in this country.

New York's curriculum is more rigorous than other states to begin with, so even just by that alone.

I wouldn't purposely seek out low-ranking school districts but @ the same time, even if I did have kids, if I got some amazing deal on a great house, I might consider it.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:00 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Schools schmools.
If your kid is smart they will do good in Jericho or Hempstead schools.
But if your kid is a moron, they will be a moron in any school as well. Mama always said you can't fix stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island