Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What do you mean?

It looks like they were supposed to stay at the biotech research incubator until 2022.
Right, but it's safe to say that they outgrew it and it is state owned property. If a company is out of the incubation stage then it's time for them to go off and stand on their own.

From what I understand OSI leaving isn't the worst thing, but that the Broad Hollow incubator and Long Island bio-tech didn't take off like it was hoped for by the politicians. I'm not sure why, considering CSHL along with a lot of excellent universities in the area it would look like a natural fit.

The other sad thing is that it's impractical for Islanders to drive or take a train a mere 40 miles or so to the new location. Poor planning of roads is another reason to leave. Oyster Bay-Rye Bridge (I-287, unbuilt)

FWIW I drive 60 miles to work in under an hour.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yeah, I know your pain.
I'm being uprooted by political stupidity as well.
Hmmm. Looks like the local politicians are "banning" karl???? (just kidding )

Old 02-25-2010, 01:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Right, but it's safe to say that they outgrew it and it is state owned property. If a company is out of the incubation stage then it's time for them to go off and stand on their own.

From what I understand OSI leaving isn't the worst thing, but that the Broad Hollow incubator and Long Island bio-tech didn't take off like it was hoped for by the politicians. I'm not sure why, considering CSHL along with a lot of excellent universities in the area it would look like a natural fit.

The other sad thing is that it's impractical for Islanders to drive or take a train a mere 40 miles or so to the new location. Poor planning of roads is another reason to leave. Oyster Bay-Rye Bridge (I-287, unbuilt)

FWIW I drive 60 miles to work in under an hour.
Yeah they outgrew it but it would have been prudent to bend the rules (they bend rules constantly anyway with special referendums) to let them become bigger. It's not like there is a line of companies beating down the door to get onto that property. It only had three other tenants, one of which already moved to San Diego, CA.

We are even getting beat out by other high cost places: San Diego, Westchester. Thanks to some little martinet of a local politician in this case. Ardsley smelled the blood in the water and made a sweet deal that was so good it kept them from considering any other property on LI, so we lost them.

Still a lot of mileage on your car and gas burned. Are you driving to a big city to work? Are there no jobs nearby for you at all?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 PM

342 posts, read 1,094,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Flowergarden -- I am sorry that you have to be uprooted by total political stupidity.

Thanks - me too. Just to be fair, the issues were more than one politician's problem with bidding it out. There was resistence from a lot of different places. OSI is a good company. The did try hard to stay here, but they just ran into more or less ambivalance. Road blocks were put up rather than a cooperative environment built between LI officials and the company. It's sad. All that money being spent in Ardsley rather than Farmingdale. Again, I bring this up not to whine and wail, but to rather point out that LI does not have the mindset or the government agencies to attract new industry, given that they don't even care enough to try and work out keeping the ones they have. No development offices here.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
There are local jobs but this one pays better and is a great project. I just get a cup of coffee, tune into Howard Stern and I'm off on a pleasant trip. With that said I may be soon working closer to home, which will save gas, though I may miss my morning quiet time.

The point being is that at least I had the option to commute and live where I want, even if it's a long distance. Good old Island politics and NIMBism killed a bridge (or two) that may have allowed people who work at OSI to stay on the Island. So what happened at Broad Hollow isn't a surprise and is a long time problem.

Now was Calverton ever proposed as a site for OSI? I think that might be a better use than an indoor ski mountain.

Add Long Island politicians as another great reason to leave.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,108 times
im moving in mastic beach frm italy, is it a bad area??why home are so cheap???

Old 02-26-2010, 06:04 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmony View Post
im moving in mastic beach frm italy, is it a bad area??why home are so cheap???
Every area has its Broadway...and its Baltic Ave.

Theres plenty around info about about Mastic Beach.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:08 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default You sound like you could be my twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
To get back to the OP----Why would I leave LI? I already did leave as a gift to my husband who'd dreamed of living in FL for many, many years.

I moved to a place commonly called "Paradise" by many of it's inhabitants (Naples, FL) And the very first year I came back to LI for 6 weeks in the summer because I was so homesick, by the second year I started renting a small apt. on LI and stayed for 2 months, by the third year I stayed 6 months in summer and a month in winter, etc. And, I can't wait to get back again this summer to BUY something permanent on LI.

For me the grass may have looked greener elsewhere (well, for my hubby), but it still isn't home (for me). I breathe a sigh of relief every time I get back to LI, dirt, grit, gridlock, litter, snow and all! I "get" it, and I "get" the people here but feel like a fish out of water in FL. (Don't know if it's like that for anyone else or in other states.) It's all a personal thing, but this I know, you can be discontent anywhere. I learned that I was far more discontent in "Paradise", lower taxes, nice roads, cleanliness, good weather and all than I ever could have dreamed of being in the 58 years I lived on LI!
We are about the same age, lived on LI, and now live in "blissful" Naples too. My husband came here for a job, but always considered retiring to Florida. NEVER on my radar at all, especially having lived here for 6 months when I was young and single.

I, too, go back to NY as many times a year as I possibly can; mostly in the winters!!!!! I SO miss the 4 seasons, LI, and Fall Foliage and SNOW. My daughter, who moved here to be near us and went back after 4 months, called it "a bad vacation that never ends". She also said, "I would rather be poor on LI than a millionaire in Florida". I agree 100% with everything she said, especially the last one.

I could go on, but I know how you feel. May we both be able to move back ASAP to OUR "paradise".

Last edited by TANaples; 02-26-2010 at 06:20 PM..

Old 02-27-2010, 10:10 AM

14 posts, read 31,873 times
Red face Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearingly View Post
[SIZE=3]I left Long Island and moved to Orlando Florida two years ago. I left for several reasons, but largely because of the cost of living. I remember being 25, a college graduate and working as an Analyst for one of the largest publicly traded companies on Long Island and could not afford a nice house, even with a 10K down payment. I tried entering the home lottery in Melville to get a townhouse for 140K, fat chance when thousands applied for just a few units. Oh yeah, I was living with my parents and was not going to move out to live in a BASEMENT. Or live in ghetto communities like Brentwood, Wyandanch, Bay Shore, Mastic, Central Islip, and Freeport…etc. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I moved, make a about the same, but take home more money since I don’t pay state tax here in Florida. You should see, here you can get a 2500-3000 sqt foot house in a nice area for less than $200K. Yeah, lets see anyone try to get a deal like that in Long Island. Plus its warm and sunny the whole year!!!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]All my friends that stayed regret it. One friend but down $80K he saved on a down payment on a house in Nassau. He paid almost 375K, for an old ranch that needs to be gutted. And guess what, he and his wife work around the clock, and save NO MONEY! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]What type of life is that!!!! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I would suggest to every single young person, move out of Long Island. There is no future where the taxes are high, the homes are over priced, and people quite frankly have a high paced NY attitude. The quality of life is better else where.[/SIZE]
Good luck! Hope you succeed....I'm in my 40's and feel the same. Thank God I don't have a husband or kids to contend with.

What part of Fla did you settle? I'm an RN, thinking of several locales Miami/Dade, Broward (Ft Lauderdale), Boca Raton, Tampa area (probably nr SoHO), or Naples/Ft Myers. I'm looking for the area of Fla. that I can live out the rest of my days in the sun, and just enjoy life a bit, after taking care of my elderly parents for the past 15 years. I was the "good daughter" who is now looking for peace and happiness.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:14 AM

14 posts, read 31,873 times
Angry Why?

WHY,WHY,WHY are people SOOOOOOO Nasty? It's true I've been feeling this for a long, long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel08 View Post
I would say the number one reason I'm thinking of selling my house in Nassau County and moving to another state is RUDENESS...

Long Islanders are very rude people. They have absolutely no concern for each other. They're rude on the roads, rude in the stores, rude at work, rude to customers, just plain RUDE! Actually, I don't know if it's just rudeness or spitefulness. Long Islanders are just plain spiteful to each other for no good reason at all. I can live anywhere I wanna live in this country, why should I tolerate rudeness?

Another reason is the Police are basically nonexistent. They are just never out there pulling any of these crazy drivers over and enforcing the rules of civility on them. I think maybe I'd rather live somewhere where they rules of civility don't have to be ENFORCED on people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island