Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 03:02 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
That's just not true. Seriously.
The 3 areas that people in NY mention moving to in NC are Wilmington, Charlotte, and the "research triangle" , of which in my experience the third is the most mentioned. Do searches on this board.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:08 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The 3 areas that people in NY mention moving to in NC are Wilmington, Charlotte, and the "research triangle" , of which in my experience the third is the most mentioned. Do searches on this board.
We need to get you out of the house... lol I hope you have google stock the way you throw that name around! As big as CD is, it doesn't represent "New York" or "Long Island" as a whole. You might as well link me to a Crooks poll as a reference! Even then you're only getting the LI side of it here... meaning people who move to another area post on THAT board because that's the info they're looking for. So you'd need to search on those boards.

When I lived North of Charlotte (Iredell county) I swear some of the neighborhoods could have been called "little LI". I was constantly meeting people from this area. So, OK - maybe you can say ALOT OF people move to Wake county... but all?! Should I have told these people I met they were lying because CD says different?!

Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
We need to get you out of the house... lol I hope you have google stock the way you throw that name around! As big as CD is, it doesn't represent "New York" or "Long Island" as a whole. You might as well link me to a Crooks poll as a reference! Even then you're only getting the LI side of it here... meaning people who move to another area post on THAT board because that's the info they're looking for. So you'd need to search on those boards.

When I lived North of Charlotte (Iredell county) I swear some of the neighborhoods could have been called "little LI". I was constantly meeting people from this area. So, OK - maybe you can say ALOT OF people move to Wake county... but all?! Should I have told these people I met they were lying because CD says different?!

I DIDN'T SAY ALL.

Done with ya, Mikey.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
I DIDN'T SAY ALL.

Done with ya, Mikey.
This is the quote I said was wrong... that we went back and forth on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
dman is right about Wake County - that's where all the New Yorkers are.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:31 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
That's just not true. Seriously.
Why do you think that? Cary, Wake Forest, Apex - all massively popular with New Yorkers right now and all in Wake County. Cary even goes by the nickname - Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

Not saying they don't go other places too but Wake County is full of New Yorkers. Seriously.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

So you couldn't find the stats either? It seems that nobody really keeps meaningful County stats.

If you haven't been here it's hard to really understand. Wake County isn't all that different to Long Island. If you removed pretty much all of Long Island south of the LIE, then you'll have a fair idea of what Wake County looks like. But no beaches of course...

Last edited by Keeper; 03-02-2010 at 06:07 AM..

Old 03-01-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
So you couldn't find the stats either? It seems that nobody really keeps meaningful County stats.

If you haven't been here it's hard to really understand. Wake County isn't all that different to Long Island. If you removed pretty much all of Long Island south of the LIE, then you'll have a fair idea of what Wake County looks like. But no beaches of course...

Crime

So is it the looking 5 hits down on google thing that is too much to ask?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Crime

So is it the looking 5 hits down on google thing that is too much to ask?
You might want to check that link - I don't think it means what you think it means.

I don't have any stats to back it up, but after living in both places I would guess that Wake County has quite a bit less crime than Nassau County. Certainly less murders.

I'd be happy to look at any stats that anyone can provide.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
You might want to check that link - I don't think it means what you think it means.

I don't have any stats to back it up, but after living in both places I would guess that Wake County has quite a bit less crime than Nassau County. Certainly less murders.

I'd be happy to look at any stats that anyone can provide.
Maybe it doesn't mean what YOU think it means. I provided stats and you are putting your fingers in your ear going "na na, I can't hear you".

You get the crime "rate" by taking the number of incidents divided by the population of a given area.

Your guess about murders happens to be wrong. In 2000 Nassau county had 25 murders, Wake county had 33, and Nassau has almost 500K more people than Wake, 35% more population.

But you guys keep going on with your anecdotes and how you "feel" about a certain area. It gets funnier with every post.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 AM

Do you even realize that you are quoting stats from a whole different decade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island