Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I like GG. She gave me a new phrase..diversity poisoning. It just says it all...and its so...so ...PC.

I dunno...'poisoning' still has a negative vibe.

Let's try "Diversity Mal-absorption" sounds like something we can buy Maalox to cure.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:56 PM

47 posts, read 110,443 times
cost of living is too high, even for my well paying job!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,487 times
I get the distinct impression that Crookhaven is total Snob. Sorry crook, but there are many other reasons to leave LI other than "you were all too poor to live here in the 1st place". I lived in the 5 towns area for many years before my job transfered to IL. I can tell you that LOTS of poor people live on LI. many in your neck of the woods and belive me those folks are not going to leave there any time soon.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
To get back to the OP----Why would I leave LI? I already did leave as a gift to my husband who'd dreamed of living in FL for many, many years.

I moved to a place commonly called "Paradise" by many of it's inhabitants (Naples, FL) And the very first year I came back to LI for 6 weeks in the summer because I was so homesick, by the second year I started renting a small apt. on LI and stayed for 2 months, by the third year I stayed 6 months in summer and a month in winter, etc. And, I can't wait to get back again this summer to BUY something permanent on LI.

For me the grass may have looked greener elsewhere (well, for my hubby), but it still isn't home (for me). I breathe a sigh of relief every time I get back to LI, dirt, grit, gridlock, litter, snow and all! I "get" it, and I "get" the people here but feel like a fish out of water in FL. (Don't know if it's like that for anyone else or in other states.) It's all a personal thing, but this I know, you can be discontent anywhere. I learned that I was far more discontent in "Paradise", lower taxes, nice roads, cleanliness, good weather and all than I ever could have dreamed of being in the 58 years I lived on LI!

Wow, you're so much like my mom, TANaples on city-data. She also lives in Naples. You should search for her posts and message her. She loves meeting people who are also unhappy in Florida.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:45 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
My responses (both inside and outside the quote box, in blue, bold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What you have are paintings done by contemporary American artists in an imitation of the style of Impressionism (not strict imitation, but according to their own interpretation), but not Impressionist paintings. All nice work, but I have to say of the three Gerald Deloach is my favorite. Thank you for being kind. Glad to hear we haven't been buying schlock. Actually, I just wanted big, water-gilded frames. What went in the frames would not have mattered to me. Why lie: I would have, at that point, gone for pictures of palaces and swans, or School-of-Paris renditions of Provencal villages, like the rest of Jackson's arrivistes buy. But I've got a great decorator, who gently steered me away from the one-point-perspective fountains-of-Versailles scenes, to the artists you saw. He said they would be more versatile, and was right. I was skeptical: but he showed me pictures of the paintings Amalia de Fortabat has in her gilded frames, and I was convinced. OK, he also had to show me what Gayfryd Steinberg had, and also Carolyne Roem. Now, my impressionist-like paintings are in a semi-bleached (that's not the proper term) Maple, which matches the floors. The water-gilded frames are carefully stored, for when we move again.

I'm asking whether your vitrol is directed at both homegrown and foreign "miscreants" or just foreigners. Oh, mostly, toward all stupid people who cause problems. I don't, in the final analysis, care about color, creed, or origins. But our first investments, as kids still in grad school, were residential buildings. Being a landlord will strip away all that is romantic or noble in one's view of humanity. When thousands upon thousands of dollars are at stake (and when one is still a poor grad student, sometimes rolling pennies to buy food for the kids), one starts to see patterns....who is going to tear up the unit....cause the good tenants to move away...skip out on the rent...try to cook up a lawsuit...Like I said, when your whole future could plotz, because you rented to a zhlub who stomps around and slams doors, or worse, a gonif who's going to make off with the appliances, a cynical categorization of other humans becomes ingrained.We don't own any residential units, anymore. But I never forgot those bitter lessons.

Do tell. What have you got out there? (I am envisioning a compound with barbed wire on top of the fences, guard towers manned by uniformed survivalist types, etc.)
An "Architecturally important estate home". Basically what you see on the dunes in the Hamptons, but nestled in a forest of conifers, instead (and without a Hamptons pricetag). View of the lake, but not on the lake (so we don't have to worry about renegade Seals doing the scooba/home-invasion robbery thing). We have 'Embassy Fencing', which is much more discreet and aesthetic than Chainlink. I think the gates are tacky...kinda artsy-craftsy. But our best friends bought up the mountain from us a bit, and their gates are worse...and this is the West...so I'm doing my best to adjust my aesthetic sensibilities. But the house is better than the gates (which were by the Landscape Architect, not the House Architect). Marble is more me (cheaper, too), but the floors are Maple, cushioned like a basketball court. The walls are covered in travertine, except for a few Maple ones, and virtually every outside wall. Those are big sheets of glass, held together by big chromey things. I'm not adjusting to the glass walls very well. I keep my stairmaster in my Wardrobe, where there are no windows, and have set a computer up in here, as well.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:56 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,635 times
A study in black & blue.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI to IL View Post
I get the distinct impression that Crookhaven is total Snob. Sorry crook, but there are many other reasons to leave LI other than "you were all too poor to live here in the 1st place". I lived in the 5 towns area for many years before my job transfered to IL. I can tell you that LOTS of poor people live on LI. many in your neck of the woods and belive me those folks are not going to leave there any time soon.

Snob?

Hmmmm.

No offense taken I just see it as a function of economics.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:08 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Crooks is no snob. He just hasn't gotten out much lately.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:08 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Hey now!
What's wrong with a run down 50's cape on a postage stamp?
...in one of the most desirable areas of the country?

Its about the same as "whats wrong" with a 600sf Studio on the UWS.

Supply and demand.

Only the strong survive.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:38 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
All that blue text nearly gave me a seizure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island