Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:30 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Very true!

My children are some years behind yours, but the same still applies here.

Their friends are from all ends of the district and we haven't had any problems with not being able to have what the wealthy families have.

My children have a solid family unit, 2 loving and involved parents and a modest home where everyone sits down together for dinner every night. They've seen us budget and plan, they've seen us buckle down when need be, they've seen us celebrate when things go very well.

If a family's priorities are in order, being on the middle to lower end of the economic totem pole in a wealthy area is not an issue.
Sorry Beehave

As a former Murphy kid in 3V I'd have to disagree greatlty.

In fact the the gap between the haves and the have lesses has gotten worse with time.

crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:32 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
i am not talking about 3v hhh, i dont consider most of those areas rich. upper middle class imo. Dont get me started about the rich hurting. i work in the upper class areas, and there is so much construction and such going on. down in hewlett harbor, 3 homes were having elevators put in.Hurting? i dont think so. the middle class is getting f%$ked! all these ceo's still getting bonuses while workers are getting laid off? gimmie a break.

Oh God no.

3V North of 25a is big, BIG dollars in most cases.

Old Field/HOH/Poquott/Strongs Neck/Old SB

crooks

Old 02-13-2009, 11:40 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Oh God no.

crooks
agreed, for the most part 3v sd is not upper class if you averaged in all the areas. the areas you posted, i would guess alot of kids go to private school

Old 02-13-2009, 11:54 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Sorry Beehave

As a former Murphy kid in 3V I'd have to disagree greatlty.

In fact the the gap between the haves and the have lesses has gotten worse with time.

crooks
A former Murphy kid from what -- 20+ years ago?

Not saying it's a perfect world, but it is all in the way one perceives themself. No school is immune from snooty, snotty brats. It's all about who your choose to surround yourself with. If you aspire to run in a group based solely on their parent's economic status, you're bound to get hurt if you aren't a Richie Rich. If you run with friends who share the same values, you'll be friends with a wide group of people from rich to poor.

I have a current WM, former PJG who is friends with lots of RCMs. At PJG we were lower tier economically, yet my older child made lots of friends he still has today.

Hubby graduated WM in the 70's. Back then kids seemed to hang around with neighborhood kids. There weren't any arranged playdates like we see now. As a result, the kids in each section had a more insular experience and tended to keep within their own groups. Chances are it was like that when you were in the 3V, too.

Speaking from current experience -- the kids aren't playing solely in their neighborhoods anymore because everyone is involved in different activities. They spend more of their time with fellow team members, dance school friends, etc., who live all over the area.

It's a disservice to say that children who aren't of the same economic class are going to be hasseled by those whose parents have more money. Not every wealthy kid is a brat, nor every poor kid downtrodden.

AndreaII nailed it -- it's about parent's attitudes.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Oh God no.

crooks
There is very little BIG dollars in Old SB. I live here. Unless the house is right on the water, or has a very good waterview, the houses are coming down in price.

SB is the best deal for buying N25A at this time, provided a person likes older homes and the constraints of the HDAC &/or DEC.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
agreed, for the most part 3v sd is not upper class if you averaged in all the areas. the areas you posted, i would guess alot of kids go to private school

Most of the kids in the areas crooks mentioned attend the 3V schools there is a small minority districtwide who attend private school.

Some people who send their children to private school are the parents who want their kids in parochial school.

There are some who send their kids to non religious private schools. Many of the people I have met who are private school parents are the same type of people who are very label conscious. It's all about appearances for that type. We had a neighbor who with a litter of children, and bragged about 'moving up' from the S section to N25A. He McMansionized his house (no fucco, thank heaven!) sent his kids to Laurel Hill and then found himself in a financial jam, forcing him to sell his not yet completed McMansion. Hubris?

Another group who send children to private school tend to be transplants from the UK who send their children to Laurel Hill. They usually pull them out within a year or two to attend the public schools.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:13 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times
I don't think younger kids really pick up on this stuff. It becomes more of an issue in high school. Obviously all kids are different, but I doubt most "poor" kids will experience a "severe negative impact" if they're in a rich district. None of that BS matters once you're out of high school anyway.

However, I think you're beeing naive if you don't see the potential for your kid to feel a diminished sense of self worth or even a little jealous if he's taking the bus in 11th/12th grade and there's other kids showing up in brand new SUV's, Wranglers, BWM's, etc.

The best parenting in the world is not a cure all for jealousy and basic human nature.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
the "rich" are not affected by the current recession.
You're absolutely right.

Despite recession, East End summer rentals in demand -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzhamp1312451976feb13,0,4365444.story - broken link)

Old 02-13-2009, 01:34 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,620 times
WRONG...THE LAST PARAGRAPH, LAST SENTENCE, PLEASE.

"Instead of people from the city heading to Europe, I think they'll be coming to the Hamptons."

Old 02-13-2009, 01:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
WRONG...THE LAST PARAGRAPH, LAST SENTENCE, PLEASE.

"Instead of people from the city heading to Europe, I think they'll be coming to the Hamptons."
What do you mean by wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island