Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM

138 posts, read 491,857 times

Advertisements

Massapequa Park has a nice little downtown, and great proximity to the Bethpage Park bike trail. i know it wasn't on the list, but it's close enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:39 PM

22 posts, read 81,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I think your best bet would be Farmingdale, it's the only one with a legitimate downtown area and it's one of the best on LI. If you lived close enough to it (and there are some extremely nice areas nearby - not sure if they're in your price range, though) you could walk everywhere, including the train station which averages 50 minutes to Penn Station. Wantagh has one too, but it's much smaller and really geared towards the bar scene entirely. Massapequa and Seaford are nothing but strip malls and highways.

Good to know. many thanks.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:47 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,196 times
If you want to commute from Farmingdale station, keep in mind that village residents get preferential treatment for parking. There's a waiting list for non-residents. Massapequa Park is also village only.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Zing View Post
Massapequa Park has a nice little downtown, and great proximity to the Bethpage Park bike trail. i know it wasn't on the list, but it's close enough.
True true....that one is extremely tiny though - like one block. I remember going to some ice cream shop over there during Christmas when I was really young, it was good!

Farmingdale is fairly close to that bike trail too, the lake in Massapequa (or Massapequa Park) is great. I used to go fishing there all the time. Wantagh also has a bike trail down to Jones Beach and a similar park/lake to Massapequa.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
I think a lot would depend on other things that you may be interested in, or might be looking for. In many ways these areas could be considered very similar in terms of "nicer downtown". As far a "natural environment" you are a bit closer to the beach in Wantagh only because I think it's closest to the Wantagh Parkway. Beyond that there are plenty of parks in each hamlet and block after block of standard LI suburbia.

Are you looking to buy or rent? Kids or no kids? Commuting? Planning on staying 5 or more year? Is distance to family important? I think answers to questions like these will result in more specific answers as to which area might suit you best.
In terms of natural environment - where the people actually live in Wantagh is still several miles away from Jones Beach. And Seaford, and for that matter, Bellmore, Merrick and Freeport are not much further. Massapequa has the Massapequa Perserve right in the middle of it. And Farmingdale has the large Belmont state park.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:17 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
massapequa should be your first choice. excellent school, #1 on long island.
?? #1 according to whom??

Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
What is the measurement that determines this ranking?

Its common knowledge. you can also google the #1 schools on long island and it will come up.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:51 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,915 times
Massapequa has great beaches. Farmingdale doesnt. Massapequa has great parks and bike paths. one starts on Curones on Merrick road and extends into bethpage. I used to ride it when I was a kid. Theres no need to leave Massapequa if you want to go shopping, it has "EVERYTHING".

Old 03-10-2009, 06:16 AM

153 posts, read 380,634 times
I had the same choice to make, same budget, last summer. I had Seaford/Massapequa targeted. I ended up looking a bit further East. I recommend spending a day in Babylon Village before deciding.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:49 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
In terms of natural environment - where the people actually live in Wantagh is still several miles away from Jones Beach. And Seaford, and for that matter, Bellmore, Merrick and Freeport are not much further. Massapequa has the Massapequa Perserve right in the middle of it. And Farmingdale has the large Belmont state park.
I think you meant Bethpage State Park in Farmingdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island