Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:13 PM

294 posts, read 879,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
We did sign that paper. And she sent comparables in one instance. After I told her to do so. But her usual advice was "it is priced to sell".
Aha, did you sign just one paper? Because if you did, that is just the disclosure stating that she works for the sellers. We are to get that signed first time we meet with any buyer (at open houses or at first physical meeting).
If you truly signed on with her, then you would have signed that one disclosure (with buyer broker checked off) AND another contract-looking form, in duplicate, which states commission paid and criteria for house hunting, arbitration and legal info,etc....pretty inclusive form.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:25 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,384 times
What about the houses with the impeccably maintained landscaping, perfect lawn/shrubs, but still have the dark wood paneling, green shag carpet and baby blue bathtub/tile. Those are usually the ones that only show outside shots.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:07 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
What about the houses with the impeccably maintained landscaping, perfect lawn/shrubs, but still have the dark wood paneling, green shag carpet and baby blue bathtub/tile. Those are usually the ones that only show outside shots.
In my house the carpets were white, with stains everywhere and the kitchen was pink tile & sink with pink and black flooring. Yeah, that got gutted quickly!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,473,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post
Dang, you must have had a really bad experience. We (RE agents) are NOT all LIKE THAT. We do not say "ANYTHING" to get a house sold. As listing agents we do work for the seller, but have a responsibility to ALL parties to be fair, respectful and honest.
When I work with buyers, I almost always sign them on as a buyer broker, meaning I work for my buyers. IMO, that is the only way to work the buyer end of a deal.

LOL!!! Come on! Real Estate people are SALES PEOPLE, plain and simple. You don't make money if you don't make the sale..... What are you going to do, tell a person, "Fresh Paint Job" to cover the black mold that is in the walls...... "Central Air" because the windows haven't been updated in decades and there are drafts throughout.... "Great Views" through the hole in the roof... "Great family neighborhood" if you like to party like the Osbournes

Don't play anyone for a fool by trying to convince anyone that a SALESPERSON is 100% honest, upright, and forthright. If you were, you wouldn't make much money.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:19 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,763,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Don't play anyone for a fool by trying to convince anyone that a SALESPERSON is 100% honest, upright, and forthright. If you were, you wouldn't make much money.
This shows a complete lack of understanding about what we do. You probably believe that surgeons recommend unneeded operations so that they can make more money. Some people (even -- OH NO! -- real estate agents) have ethics. Granted, we have some bad apples, just like in any profession, but you shouldn't paint with such a broad brush.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 PM

108 posts, read 358,001 times
this is a great thread.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:33 PM

294 posts, read 879,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
This shows a complete lack of understanding about what we do. You probably believe that surgeons recommend unneeded operations so that they can make more money. Some people (even -- OH NO! -- real estate agents) have ethics. Granted, we have some bad apples, just like in any profession, but you shouldn't paint with such a broad brush.
Ditto, ditto, ditto

Old 03-20-2009, 01:39 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,602,731 times
"Winter waterview" = If, in the midst of winter when all the leaves are off all the surrounding trees, you stand at just the right angle in front of one particular second-floor window (or if you climb up on the roof) you will be able to just about see the sunlight glinting off a small patch of visible water (but on sunny days only, and not after said trees put on another foot or so of growth).

"Professionally landscaped" = Someone went to Home Depot or Lowes and bought a half-dozen shrubs, several bags of bark mulch, and a "charming" plastic lawn figurine (gnome, flamingo, bent-over lady with polka-dot bloomers, etc etc)

Old 03-20-2009, 01:57 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post
Ditto, ditto, ditto
As they say...WHOA !

I'm sorry if you, appear to be "exceptions"...EVEN, if you must say so, yourself !

But THERE ARE surgeons who perform unneeded surgery for money, as well as, that the Sun, rises in the East and sets in the West.

What I am curious about, just how much hostility do you encounter...what kinds...and how do you deal with it ?

We would be fascinated to learn this, I'm sure.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:04 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,763,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
What I am curious about, just how much hostility do you encounter...what kinds...and how do you deal with it ?

We would be fascinated to learn this, I'm sure.
Actually, most of the hostility that I encounter is on this board, even though I have been giving away free advice and insider information for about a year and a half. I think that it is because the anonymity afforded here allows people to be rude in ways that they would never be in person.

In my business life, I really don't encounter that much hostility, because if someone is a jerk, I just refuse to work with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island