Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 PM

136 posts, read 493,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
It did not take an NY Times article to note that fact...just sit on a train line for an extended period going into and out of the city. Each stop denotes the ethnic makeup of the surrounding area. And to the earlier poster that noted middle class (upper middle) ethnic families such as African American and Hispanic do not bother moving here because of the dynamic, I agree. I have close friends of both persuasions who moved south (Virginia-African American) and west (Latino) for that exact reason. Both with PhDs. I laugh when those who have only lived here make such broad-based assumptions that if "they" could afford it, they could live in a more desirable area. For the most part "they" do not even bother because they do not want to raise their children in such a segregated area. This does not dismiss the obvious socio-economic issues for many minority communities, but unfortunately there are a lot of "Vinnies" and "Sean's" on the island who assume all blacks and hispanics are a reflection of what they have experienced on LI (I am speaking from my own experience, given I look like a "Sean" and they have no problem sharing their thoughts with me at bbqs, soccer games, etc...). I have had three black bosses (egads!!), with the lowest degree earned being a law degree. My own homogenous upbringing made a lot of my transition to the work world a steeper learning curve than I expected.

In my opinion this is a struggle if you live in an area like Smithtown, which I do, which is very homogenous but an area I do like. How do you balance the perspective of your children that there are people of all shapes and sizes in the world...especially when you enter the work world.

Stepping down off of soap box,

JRP
Obviously it did not take a NY Times article to note that fact. That was referenced for people that have not lived on Long Island and experienced the divide first hand, as I and others here have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,331,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
In the early sixties, we kids used to love to go to Hempstead Village on the bus from Roslyn on Friday nights because there were actually stores that were OPEN. John's Bargain Stores and Woolworths. What could be cooler?
That bus route still exists as the N27, BTW

Old 06-17-2009, 07:10 AM

4,444 posts, read 5,174,699 times
I think you'll find that middle class black and hispanic families don't want to live in majority black/latino towns. They are looking for diverse towns that are about 40 to 60% white. They tend to stear from 80%+ white towns. This is of course contributes somewhat to segregation. Asians seem to like it the more white the town is. This of course leads to blacks and hispanics moving in to these towns as demographics move to a level they find more inviting. For the future of Long Island look to the peninsula area south of San Francisco (San Mateo and northern Santa Clara counties). If your content with the diversity we have now and don't want to become more crowed, then shut immigration down.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 AM

20,176 posts, read 20,953,859 times
I thought black folk loved living in all white neighborhoods?
Doesn't everybody like to live in all white neighborhoods?
ha ha!

I know from being ALL over this Island on a daily basis, there aren't too many "white folk only" neighborhoods left. The Island has become very diverse now.
I've also noticed a large increase in middle eastern families over the past few years.

Anyway, I think white flight is over. Economic flight is definitely the word these days.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,060,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I thought black folk loved living in all white neighborhoods?
Doesn't everybody like to live in all white neighborhoods?
ha ha!

I know from being ALL over this Island on a daily basis, there aren't too many "white folk only" neighborhoods left. The Island has become very diverse now.
I've also noticed a large increase in middle eastern families over the past few years.

Anyway, I think white flight is over. Economic flight is definitely the word these days.
West Islip is very white. Oakdale is very white. Massapequa is very white. Mt. Sinai is very white. These are places where 90% of the population is non-Hispanic white.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 PM

270 posts, read 970,639 times
Northport/East Northport is 97%/95% white according to the last census. Not sure how much has changed since 2000, but I'm not white so I'm helping to diversify those statistics

Old 06-17-2009, 02:47 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,606,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
West Islip is very white. Oakdale is very white. Massapequa is very white. Mt. Sinai is very white. These are places where 90% of the population is non-Hispanic white.
Agree with all of those, and would also add the following either all- or over- 90%- white areas:

Nissequogue
Head of the Harbor
Old Field
Poquott
Asharoken
Laurel Hollow
Mill Neck
Matinecock
most of Huntington Bay
certain sections of Smithtown

Granted that the first eight areas listed are also those with large-lot zoning and high-priced homes but the fact is that they do qualify as almost-entirely-white areas if that's the only criteria.

I'm not familiar with the demographics of the East End communities nor with specific sections of most Nassau County towns nowadays other than the three listed, but I'm sure others could also add to the list.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:56 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,410,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Nancy, when I was in grade school my mom used to work part-time, from 10 am to 1 or 2 pm, in the W.T. Kress store in Hempstead! Do you remember that one?

The three "dimestores" in Hempstead were Woolworth's, Kress, and Kresge's. I can't recall whether all three of them had soda fountains but I know that at least Woolworth's did because I remember having egg creams there.

Here's a question for you: Which store was it that had the pet department with the canaries and parakeets on the lower level? Was that Woolworths? I think it may have been but can't remember precisely.
wasn't TSS over there too? Not sure if it was a discount store...I def. remember a TSS though...i think it was 80's or 90's when that was there...I'm only 27...lol.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:40 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,193,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Agree with all of those, and would also add the following either all- or over- 90%- white areas:

Nissequogue
Head of the Harbor
Old Field
Poquott
Asharoken
Laurel Hollow
Mill Neck
Matinecock
most of Huntington Bay
certain sections of Smithtown

Granted that the first eight areas listed are also those with large-lot zoning and high-priced homes but the fact is that they do qualify as almost-entirely-white areas if that's the only criteria.

I'm not familiar with the demographics of the East End communities nor with specific sections of most Nassau County towns nowadays other than the three listed, but I'm sure others could also add to the list.

Miller Place and Rocky Point are pretty much a White out too.

Its kinda weird.

Crooks

Old 06-17-2009, 09:53 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,309,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Miller Place and Rocky Point are pretty much a White out too.

Its kinda weird.

Crooks
I'm guessing Hot Karl misses about 75% of Long Island in his travels .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island