Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
As far as your car goes, some people would probably think this is a scummy thing to do....but I'd just buy an out of state plate on eBay. That way they can't even check your registration/inspection or give you a ticket/summons if you have to move it into the street temporarily or something. Personally, I think it's totally ridiculous that anyone can be told they can't keep a car on their property. I understand on street parking regulations and stuff, but this is just stupid.
The jerk neighbor I was at odds with tried this. No good. One call to the police department finished him off.

The OP should spend the money on a cover. No need for a fancy cover. A tarp and some bungee cords covering the vehicle from under the front bumper to under the rear bumper is sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The jerk neighbor I was at odds with tried this. No good. One call to the police department finished him off.

The OP should spend the money on a cover. No need for a fancy cover. A tarp and some bungee cords covering the vehicle from under the front bumper to under the rear bumper is sufficient.
Is that gonna be good enough for the Village of Lake Grove, though? If that's where she got the ticket from it would seem they've probably got different laws than the Town of Brookhaven.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Is that gonna be good enough for the Village of Lake Grove, though? If that's where she got the ticket from it would seem they've probably got different laws than the Town of Brookhaven.
The OP should contact code enforcement and ask for the specific section in the Village's code which would apply to her vehicle.

Code Enforcement (631) 585-2000 Ext's 114, 115

Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjane View Post
what a pain in the neck and elsewhere. thanks for the advice!!!!
Well, the Village I live in has an evening session one night a week for the Court and you don't have to be scheduled either ... you can just walk in and be seen by the Village Justice along with everyone else ... bring a book as there will be waiting. Tell the Village Justice that you didn't know having an unregistered car was not even allowed in your own driveway and you cannot register the car for another 2 months and see if he'll give you some sort of temporary reprieve due to the circumstances. But if he does, register the car when you told him you would and don't fool around. Regulations like this exist because there are people who will have unregistered car(s) rusting away on their property for years and they become neighborhood eyesores!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Yeah because if you are a resident of NYS your cars are supposed to be registered here, not out of state. There is a short grace period time limit for out of state people who move to NY to get their cars registered here. That doesn't stop the people who have relatives out of state from falsifying their location for registration and insurance purposes, so that's why you will see out of state plates "living" here, but if the police cite them, the countdown begins.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 593 times
does anyone know if lake grove have any rules in place for people that constantly park in front of your house.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:26 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tomidnight View Post
does anyone know if lake grove have any rules in place for people that constantly park in front of your house.
As far as I know none of the villages do. The street is a public place and people are free to park where ever they want. If people have driveways they can park there unless it's a family with 5 drivers and 5 cars and they all can't fit into one driveway then they have no choice but to park in the street. Are they blocking your driveway? What's the reason this bothers you? I am just curious because I think it's a ridiculous complaint. My cousin had a neighbor like this and we were told not to park in front of his house because he has been know to scratch cars with a key and even puncture tires. Unfortunately nothing can be done because he's a retired cop and has the Nassau Cops wrapped around his finger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island