Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:51 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Your pictures really tell the story. LA has one of the most beautiful downtowns in the US. This has been the case for many years and it keeps getting better and better........ looking. There just aren't many people there, day or night, except Mexicans, many of whom are probably illegal. It has been said many times before but LA's true downtown is still Beverly Hills.
I thought it was Century City?

And do you have any proof that there aren't many people Downtown....especially in the daytime? Same goes for your illegal comment, do you have proof? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
just wait till the sun goes down
Yeah, if I get out of a place further south I still prefer to walk to Temple and Hill to catch the bus. Bright as day.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:21 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,664 times
Quote:
Your pictures really tell the story. LA has one of the most beautiful downtowns in the US. This has been the case for many years and it keeps getting better and better........ looking. There just aren't many people there, day or night, except Mexicans, many of whom are probably illegal. It has been said many times before but LA's true downtown is still Beverly Hills.
Actually, I think you came up with that one.

I have heard it said before that: 1) LA has multiple Downtowns; or 2)that WILSHIRE BLVD is LA's "Main Street".

That said, you sound like you poked your head out on Broadway and jumped back in your car as you headed back to BH or wherever you came. I think JETHRO needs to get back downtown because he's not very informed.

The Downtown Business Improvement District did a study of downtown's demographics in 2008. As of 2008, there were about 40,000 residents in downtown (about twice the number in 2000).

http://www.downtownla.com/files/DCBI...ve-Summary.pdf

Moreover, the ethnic breakdown of the new residents of downtown according to the study:

-White (Non-Latino): 53.8%
-Asian/Pac. Islander: 20.9%
-Latino: 17.4%
-Black: 8.3%

Also, the EDUCATION level of downtown residents is 78% with a bachelor's degree or higher, far higher than the Countywide average (of about 25% or so).

True, downtown LA is very much still a work in progress, esp. compared to other 24/7 downtowns in other cities. Downtown LA currently has 40,000 residents but it probably has the capacity for 80,000 residents (or even more).

The good news is that even in this bad economy MORE people are moving in and new buildings are leasing up. So in due time, more and more blocks of downtown will become active with residents and supporting retail.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,783 times
Quote:
Beverly Hills has always been boring. Nothing to do there except walk around, shop and eat. Anything more fun requires you to go to the surrounding cities like Hollywood or Century City.

While I grant you that most of the people in the downtown area are hispanic during the day (hey, what can I tell you, we're addicted to cheap retail), downtown at night is extremely different that it was 10 years ago. The saying used to be "there's nothing to do downtown after 5 o' clock" and you would only find fun and interesting things in the downtown area if you were "in the know". I can tell you stories of a few out of this world parties that I went to in the artist district back in the late 90s and early 00s or of some great bars I found hidden in China Town.

Now there are more and more interesting restaurants and bars downtown and you have places that have always been there like the Music Center along with new ones like LA Live.

Knock downtown all you want but this isn't the movies and Beverly Hills has never been as vibrant as Pretty Woman or Beverly Hills Cop made it out to be.

By the way, don't bother responding to my post. It's not here for you but for the folks who want to keep the LA forums positive.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
How long has it been since you've been in downtown L.A.? There are MANY people there now at all hours.

Beverly Hills has NEVER been a "true downtown" or anything like it, perhaps Century City or the Sunset Strip both of which are next to Beverly Hills but not BH itself, but neither one would be considered a "downtown" IMO. And, coincidentally, downtown is the new Strip, given that the Strip has descended into being a dull upscale tourist trap.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:32 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
To all those who criticized my post: What do you think I just make this stuff up to push your buttons? I only speak from personal observations after numerous trips through downtown (although the last time I brought an out of town visitor they noticed it right away) Otherwise how would I know how beautiful it actually is? As for the BH comment I read it years ago in LA magazine but thought it made a lot of sense, then and now. L.A. has much to be proud of and no place is perfect but wearing blinders really doesn't accomplish anything.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:19 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
downtown la is definitely an activity center for the city and region, but as someone else mentioned, it is one of many. beverly hills has a nice little downtown in the 'golden triangle', but i've never heard anyone mention it as the true downtown of la.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 PM

244 posts, read 629,341 times
Great pictures

Old 12-30-2010, 11:53 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
downtown la is definitely an activity center for the city and region, but as someone else mentioned, it is one of many. beverly hills has a nice little downtown in the 'golden triangle', but i've never heard anyone mention it as the true downtown of la.
Even downtown has different "downtowns" so when I hear people speaking broadly about its lack I wonder what part they went to, or if they just cruised past Disney Hall and thereafter deem themselves experts.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
I'm impressed. It ain't New York but it looks a lot better than I remember from the last time I was there over 15 years ago. Add to that the significant drop in violent crime and L.A. appears to be on the mend, despite the lousy economy. Good to see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles