Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:33 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,176,725 times

Advertisements

Great photos! I love it downtown. It always feels very vibrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 12:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Loved the pics. We make it down to the fashion district once or twice a month. Head over to Hollywood Blvd once or twice a month as well. I have been to Santee Alley and the area at night and have not felt like we were in any danger. Sure as some said their may be problems but I have not noticed anything to bad.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
To all those who criticized my post: What do you think I just make this stuff up to push your buttons? I only speak from personal observations after numerous trips through downtown (although the last time I brought an out of town visitor they noticed it right away) Otherwise how would I know how beautiful it actually is? As for the BH comment I read it years ago in LA magazine but thought it made a lot of sense, then and now. L.A. has much to be proud of and no place is perfect but wearing blinders really doesn't accomplish anything.
LA Magazine doesn't represent anything all of L.A.

LA Magazine is essentially about the belt stretching from Malibu on the west to Silver Lake on the east, stretching a little south on the coastline to Marina Del Rey but otherwise within a few miles of the hills.

Beverly Hills would be close to the geographical center of the "LA" represented in LA Magazine, or maybe West Hollywood. But it is definitely not a "downtown". Beverly Hills HAS a downtown but it's not downtown for the entire L.A. area nor has it ever been.

By now however even LA Magazine would have to recognize downtown as happening.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:06 PM

749 posts, read 1,863,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

By now however even LA Magazine would have to recognize downtown as happening.
You are correct. Even the often parochial LA Magazine (where anything "east" of La Brea is considered the "Eastside") did a cover story on the "new" downtown back in 2008.

Downtown 2.0 - Los Angeles Magazine

A small sampling:
"It's time to raise a glass to downtown—after decades of broken promises, the city's historic core is lively again and, thanks mostly to one man, home to a vibrant nightlife scene. So many bars now exist that you may just need a map to navigate them all."

Old 12-31-2010, 12:16 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Anyone else think the Disney Concert Hall is a hideous pile of dog****?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:03 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,784,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
LA Magazine doesn't represent anything all of L.A.
You do realize that LA Magazine, which I haven't looked at in years, has absolutly nothing to do with my personal observations of downtown? I think the issue may be that some of you are thinking downtown is better then it used to be rather than comparing it to some of the really vibrant downtowns around the U.S.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:44 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,634,297 times
Quote:
You do realize that LA Magazine, which I haven't looked at in years, has absolutly nothing to do with my personal observations of downtown? I think the issue may be that some of you are thinking downtown is better then it used to be rather than comparing it to some of the really vibrant downtowns around the U.S.
I think you haven't been to downtown LA in a very long time.

I worked AM watch for a few years until recently. Many of my co-workers were irrationally scared to go outside at night. I went out for lunch nearly every night around 2-3am. Their fear was unfounded, but they could not get over their notions that were previously true.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:04 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,454,986 times
Quote:
I found you were rather complimentary and I get what you're saying about improvement, except for your needing to editorialize about Mexicans. DTLA has always been vibrant--this from someone who used to bus through there from the 'burbs in the old days, the '70s and early '80s. Yeah, there were a lot of Mexicans. There still are. And it's perfectly fine!
Quote:
Your pictures really tell the story. LA has one of the most beautiful downtowns in the US. This has been the case for many years and it keeps getting better and better........ looking. There just aren't many people there, day or night, except Mexicans, many of whom are probably illegal. It has been said many times before but LA's true downtown is still Beverly Hills.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:46 PM

749 posts, read 1,863,858 times
Quote:
I think it was your comment that Beverly Hills is the downtown of LA which brought LA Magazine into the discussion.

This is an open forum so nothing wrong with telling it like you see it. Also nothing wrong with people telling you they see it differently than you see do.

Again, agreed that downtown LA is still a work in progress, esp. compared to very dense, urban more "mature" 24/7 downtowns.

That said, to suggest that there is nobody else in downtown but Mexicans and illegals was also just plain wrong. Granted the daytime population on Broadway is largely Latino....but that is part of what makes downtown interesting these days. You have a real mix of people....no it's not Rodeo Drive but far more interesting in many ways that tired old tourist trap.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
I think it was your comment that Beverly Hills is the downtown of LA which brought LA Magazine into the discussion.

This is an open forum so nothing wrong with telling it like you see it. Also nothing wrong with people telling you they see it differently than you see do.

Again, agreed that downtown LA is still a work in progress, esp. compared to very dense, urban more "mature" 24/7 downtowns.

That said, to suggest that there is nobody else in downtown but Mexicans and illegals was also just plain wrong. Granted the daytime population on Broadway is largely Latino....but that is part of what makes downtown interesting these days. You have a real mix of people....no it's not Rodeo Drive but far more interesting in many ways that tired old tourist trap.
Rodeo Drive is even more of a tired old tourist trap than the Sunset Strip! At least the Strip still has Book Soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles