Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:50 AM

497 posts, read 1,504,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I always encountered more seaweed than I liked down in OC (Newport, Corona Del Mar specifically). Last time I was in Malibu, the water was the same color as root beer.

Nothing to worry about, red tide from phytoplankton...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
LA county beaches are notoriously polluted. Best to go to OC beaches or even better, further south to San Diego
Not entirely correct. The Top Ten most polluted beaches in the state from Heal The Bay includes beaches in LA County, Orange County, San Diego, Santa Cruz, and San Francisco County.

10 most polluted beaches in California, According to Heal the Bay Report Cards | abc7.com

A lot of it depends on location near urban water run off or stagnant water such as Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro.

Of course, Avalon Beach in Catalina is the biggest offender. Very sad b/c we all know Catalina Island is one of the most beautiful spots in So.Calif.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Hi, I was just in LA over the summer. I absolutely loved the city but I was less than impressed with the beach that I visited. Redondo Beach had a ton of seaweed everywhere that I went along the beach. Is that normal? )
As others have stated Seaweed is a natural phenomenon.

But I AGREE 100% with CHARLES: Zuma Beach is one of the most BEAUTIFUL (and clean) beaches in LA County.

Zuma is in the western part of the city of Malibu. Many tourists miss this spot. The core part of Malibu (where the pier is located) is NOTHING special in my view.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
We have kelp forests not coral. Full stop, end of discussion.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I'm pretty sure that pic isn't in CA.

I did not partake in the root beer water.
haha yea that is actually the Caribbean, I know that my friend went to Laguna Beach before and the water looked pretty close to that color actually ( I didn't get a chance to go that far south on my trip.) And I can't really blame you too much, very few people actually have to courage to swim in red/brown water

Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
We have kelp forests not coral. Full stop, end of discussion.
I'll be upset when there isn't seaweed on the beaches.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:37 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
certain beaches like Venice and Santa Monica it's a good idea not walk barefoot on the sand, there might be used syringes and other assorted drug paraphernelia in there left by the junkies there at night that you could step on

Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,361 times
malibu, huntington beach, newport beach, laguna beach, and san clemente, these are very clean beaches, with smooth sand, and clear water

Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
certain beaches like Venice and Santa Monica it's a good idea not walk barefoot on the sand, there might be used syringes and other assorted drug paraphernelia in there left by the junkies there at night that you could step on
never thought of that before but it is a good point. Guess I can say thank god the people I was with avoided Santa Monica like the plague and we could not find parking within 3 miles of Venice Beach lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles