Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:18 PM

479 posts, read 1,237,100 times

Advertisements

Marilyn,

Best of luck on your move back east. Wish I could join you, but I'm married and have a family and have to stay here. I also miss the weather back there to a certain extent. I hate the heat in the Valley right now. When I first came out here 30 years ago, I was excited and wanted a change but it's gradually lost its appeal. Have you thought of looking into PA for a lower cost of living? Also NC seems to have a good job market. I grew up in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and while I think it's greatly improved there, the job market still isn't the greatest. Somewhere in eastern PA may be better. It seems like a lot of New Yorkers are moving there.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 03:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
Marilyn,

Best of luck on your move back east. Wish I could join you, but I'm married and have a family and have to stay here.
Me too. PM me some time if you want to chat. I am here for 17 more years, until the baby is 18. There are lots of great things about Southern California so I'm not saying there aren't. Anyway, PM me if you'd like.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
The circumstances ARE improving.
Do you have kids?

Old 09-01-2007, 05:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you have kids?
Fewer and fewer people do.

Since I came back to CityData, I'd made a couple of posts mentioning how the west side is emptying of kids (Even non-LAUSD areas like Beverly Hills, Culver City or parts of Santa Monica). Turns out it's not just the west side.

I was out in Echo Park the other day hanging with two married friends of mine, and they were both saying how even there one sees fewer children then in the past. It's not because of the schools, which have been crappy over there for awhile. Perhaps it's because Echo Park has gotten LESS Latino and more non-Latino white? (The exact opposite of much of LA county, particularly the opposite of the San Fernando Valley?)

Old 09-01-2007, 08:22 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetCowboy View Post
my wife wanted me to move to Florida for the cheaper housing I absolutely hate it there.You have to be able to speak spanish to communicate,the hurricanes,people are ass backwards.Dont know what we are going to do yet,but I can relate.

You do not have to speak Spanish to communicate in Florida .... unless you are in Miami ... get your facts straight . I am from Florida and currently in Santa Monica on business and I am hearing a hell of a lot of Spanish here .

How and where are the people ass backwards .... Florida is a big state and you should not generalize ..... I have seen many low lifes and derelicts here in California this week , see Venice Beach , Santa Monica and Culver City yet that does not mean that every one in California is that way .

Old 09-01-2007, 09:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Perhaps it's because Echo Park has gotten LESS Latino and more non-Latino white? (The exact opposite of much of LA county, particularly the opposite of the San Fernando Valley?)
This is consistent with what others have been posting.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Fewer and fewer people do.
Maybe the people with kids (like Charles) are bailing out of LA and California in general and leaving it to the DINKS and wanna-be stars.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:31 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Me too. PM me some time if you want to chat. I am here for 17 more years, until the baby is 18. There are lots of great things about Southern California so I'm not saying there aren't. Anyway, PM me if you'd like.
JerZ...I don't mean to get personal, well maybe just a little, but why do you have to have your child grow up in L.A.? Even if you left when she is in Elementary School is ok, not too traumatic and easy to make new friends elsewhere. I guess it is the family of your husband's that are the ties that bind? That is a toughy, but I am assuming you have family back east too? Hopefully you can visit back east enough to get a fix now and then. All the best.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
JerZ...I don't mean to get personal, well maybe just a little, but why do you have to have your child grow up in L.A.? Even if you left when she is in Elementary School is ok, not too traumatic and easy to make new friends elsewhere. I guess it is the family of your husband's that are the ties that bind? That is a toughy, but I am assuming you have family back east too? Hopefully you can visit back east enough to get a fix now and then. All the best.
I'll PM ya, Puffle!

Last edited by JerZ; 09-01-2007 at 11:46 PM..

Old 09-01-2007, 11:58 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,274,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You ever read the Tennessee forum? The mods and everyone posting there would have you believe that the place is the second coming or something.

I've also noticed that if you post anything remotely negative about the place or god forbid ask about "employment" opportunities, the thread gets cut down immediately. Employment questions are answered by the same people over and over again, but yet EVERYONE IS SO HAPPY AND THRILLED TO BE LIVING IN TENNESSEE. How can you be happy living someplace where the majority of people are living in trailers?

Trailers?......for real...when was the last time you were there and saw all the trailers....there are good paying jobs available in Tennessee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles