Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Nothing says a city in decline like record-low crime rates and rapidly improving infrastructure.

Hopefully LA never achieves a built-up nature like that! I do see how some Asian cities look similar to the dystopia.
Agreed on both points!

I really have no desire to go to those crowded Asian cities: (Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Beijing, Bangkok, Manila, etc.) Besides here in California we can experience those cultures in a cleaner urban environment. (Except Singapore which is clean to the point of being downright creepy).

Not to mentioned much improved air quality. Even the most cynical seem to agree that the air quality is much better than in the 80s.

And seriously, LA has ALWAYS been super culturally diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
rapidly improving infrastructure
I've heard that from other City Data posters, too, but I just haven't seen it. Here is your chance to educate me on how the core is any more improved than it was in the late 70's when the script was penned. I am all ears Smog-wise yes perhaps, thanks to improvements in federal emissions standards. But other than that I don't see it. Nor the diversity.

I was there earlier this year, and still found myself in a sea of 98% Hispanics. Not sure how that is considered "diverse". The buildings mostly had Spanish vinyl banners covering up the history of the town, and flea markets with Chinese knock-offs for sale in Spanish. Below the grime were still traces of a once fabulous store where innovators proudly displayed their wares, much like in Blade Runner where the bones of the building have had random cheap stuff tacked onto them with no respect for history.

The streets were still just as dirty and broken up as I remembered. The buildings just as dirty and abandoned (when not being squatted by trinket stands). Perhaps there is a street that has improved, or a few feet near where you guys live/work, but the rest is no more improved than 40 years ago. Definitely not the antithesis of Blade Runner. If the heyday of the 20's 30's returned then I would agree, but it has not.

On a positive note, I will say that I didn't feel like I was going to get stabbed, so that is an improvement!!! The last time I had been downtown, about 2006, I was filming at the Rossyln hotel. Just outside a few "gentlemen" took quite an interest in me - in a very violent way.

Last edited by Wing Feathers; 02-17-2012 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Los Angeles, 2019. Being only seven years away I find the movie actually comedic. So when are those pyramids going to be built. How come we don't have flying cars yet?
I don't know, but I have met many replicants when I was living there.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
I've heard that from other City Data posters, too, but I just haven't seen it. Here is your chance to educate me on how the core is any more improved than it was in the late 70's when the script was penned. I am all ears Smog-wise yes perhaps, thanks to improvements in federal emissions standards. But other than that I don't see it. Nor the diversity.

I was there earlier this year, and still found myself in a sea of 98% Hispanics. Not sure how that is considered "diverse". The buildings mostly had Spanish vinyl banners covering up the history of the town, and flea markets with Chinese knock-offs for sale in Spanish. Below the grime were still traces of a once fabulous store where innovators proudly displayed their wares, much like in Blade Runner where the bones of the building have had random cheap stuff tacked onto them with no respect for history.

The streets were still just as dirty and broken up as I remembered. The buildings just as dirty and abandoned (when not being squatted by trinket stands). Perhaps there is a street that has improved, or a few feet near where you guys live/work, but the rest is no more improved than 40 years ago. Definitely not the antithesis of Blade Runner. If the heyday of the 20's 30's returned then I would agree, but it has not.

On a positive note, I will say that I didn't feel like I was going to get stabbed, so that is an improvement!!! The last time I had been downtown, about 2006, I was filming at the Rossyln hotel. Just outside a few "gentlemen" took quite an interest in me - in a very violent way.
I think what he meant by rapidly improving infrastructure, might be that LA is catching up in terms of public transportation with other US cities. Whereas when Blade Runner was made there was none at all.

I understand what you are saying no doubt, but this can describe really any major city to an extent.

I think New York for example actually much more resembles the physical landscape of Blade Runner much more.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Blade Runner = Motion Picture = Fiction

Los Angeles + 2019 = Reality

Old 02-17-2012, 01:59 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post

Yeah I am referring to the growing public transportation system, as well as what is a 'rebirth' of Downtown, Mid-Wilshire and Hollywood...

Just one example, the building in Hollywood that I live in was at one time a grand hotel - then, around the time Blade Runner was filmed, it was a sh*t hole slum apartment (a murder, gambling ring run out of the laundry room!) - now it has been restored to an attractive but reasonably priced apartment building. This is the story of so many neighborhoods and buildings in LA.

In fact it seems like the one place that is declining in Los Angeles is the San Fernando Valley - once considered the escape from the ills of urban life!

You obviously don't like being around a large amount of Hispanics so yeah, LA is not the place for you. There definitely is a Latino majority (Being from Santa Maria, CA I couldn't care less about lots of Hispanics - doesn't bother me one bit).

But there is no denying that Los Angeles is very diverse, the census and countless other studies show that.

EDIT: I'll give you that the streets and sidewalks in LA are pretty beat up. Sounds like you went to Broadway, which is in fairly bad shape still but (literally) every day it seems like a new retailer has decided to open up shop on Broadway.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:38 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Being only seven years away I find the movie actually comedic. So when are those pyramids going to be built. How come we don't have flying cars yet?
Couldn't we say the same about Orwell's 1984? Or Prince's song "1999"? Or the film "2001, A Space Odyssey"? Or Bradbury's Farenheit 451? Prediction of a scenario in the distant future is never going to be exact, nor, in most cases, is it intended to be.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:30 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
You guys forgot "Soylent Green!" We're apparently going to be EATING each other in 10 years!

(might still happen)

"Bladerunner" is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Couldn't we say the same about Orwell's 1984? Or Prince's song "1999"? Or the film "2001, A Space Odyssey"? Or Bradbury's Farenheit 451? Prediction of a scenario in the distant future is never going to be exact, nor, in most cases, is it intended to be.
Oh, I know. You are spot on. I just brought up Blade Runner because it was specific to Los Angeles. I know the makers of the movie didn't seriously think LA was really going to look like that.

(Although in all honest, the way LA was growing by leaps and bounds in the 70s and 80s) it might have almost seemed by some that it was heading in that direction!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:27 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times
Quote:
I think New York for example actually much more resembles the physical landscape of Blade Runner much more.
They made a movie for that too: "Escape From New York"

......Snake Pliskens can't be far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles