Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,865,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
You'll be glad you went to NoHo. You can always move in a year if you really want WeHo (but I think you'll understand the drive better once you're out here).

Studio City seems like the most central location for the least amount of money. I'd start there, if I were you.

Burbank is very nice and a short drive. You'll like it there, but it's more of a subarb and for some reason seems a bit more expensive to me (not nearly as expensive as WeHo though).

Check out padmapper.com
I think part of the reason Burbank is more expensive is the elementary - middle - high schools...

I would think right in the heart of the NoHo Arts District might be a good choice (I think around Lankershim and Chandler) - My wife and I were looking at that area at first, it is pretty reasonably priced and a safe enough neighborhood that is really close to many of the studios. It has theaters and some nightlife and decent restaurants, plus you have subway access for the times you want to come to Hollywood proper or go downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 02:21 PM

884 posts, read 1,172,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think part of the reason Burbank is more expensive is the elementary - middle - high schools...

I would think right in the heart of the NoHo Arts District might be a good choice (I think around Lankershim and Chandler) - My wife and I were looking at that area at first, it is pretty reasonably priced and a safe enough neighborhood that is really close to many of the studios. It has theaters and some nightlife and decent restaurants, plus you have subway access for the times you want to come to Hollywood proper or go downtown.

Totally agree! It's been about a year since I looked there, but I remember 3 bedrooms being right in OP's price range and even a little less.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 PM

395 posts, read 707,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I guess to some people $300 makes a huge diff; for me not as much...
There's a lot of poverty in the US and Worldwide. Many children could benfit with a $300 donation.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 16,486 times
Semi-hijacking the thread! I'm interested in moving to NoHo as well, but I wonder if there are any community colleges close enough to justify a daily commute? If so, which are they?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 PM

199 posts, read 400,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fictional View Post
Semi-hijacking the thread! I'm interested in moving to NoHo as well, but I wonder if there are any community colleges close enough to justify a daily commute? If so, which are they?
L.A. Pierce College. You can take the Orange Line straight from the NoHo subway station to Pierce's front doorstep. Really couldn't be any more convenient.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kess0r View Post
Basically, we're going to each have between 5 and 8k saved up, and there's 3 of us like I said. We want a somewhat affordable 3bedroom apartment, and yes, obviously, proximity to classes/auditions takes precedence, as does safety.

Thank you to everyone who's posted so far in this topic, we're still just up in the air about NoHo vs WeHo, and there are a lot of pros and cons for each :|
That's not a lot of money. Not trying to burst your bubble, but you will go through that pretty fast. Do all of you have cars?

You don't mention jobs. Why don't you look at Oakwood Apts? They come furnished and I believe they're month to month. This way you're not commiting to a lease.

Many people who are trying to break into the entertainment industry stay there. If none of you have a job lined up you may be looking at a very hefty deposit in order to rent.

I moved in the 80s from NY to LA and went out with 10K(which at the time I thought was a fortune), now I wasn't pursuing acting...LOL. But money has a way of going out much quicker when you have nothing coming in.

That's really not enough money. Between rent, food, car expenses, car insurance, gas, etc., even being thrifty it will be gone in a few months.

I would try and save more before making the move. I would also pick North Hollywood over West Hollywood. WeHo is going to cost you more and is land locked(not close to freeways).

North Hollywood gives you close access to the freeways and you have the Redline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles