Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 01:06 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,710 times

Advertisements

I have my handful of favorites (my absolute fav being Mohawk Bend because I'm a big beer aficionado and they have over 60 on tap with a rotating lineup). I've always wanted to go to the Varnish, since I've heard a lot about it, but all in all I don't think I've cracked the ice yet.

So...I want everyone's "Best bars in LA" list cause this city's nightlife is super rad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,847,969 times
My personal favorite right now is probably The Misfit in Santa Monica. They have great drink specials for happy hour, it's in an old converted bank, and the food is delicious. They also have Alesmith Nautical Nut Brown on tap which is one of my all time favorite beers. Also worth mentioning in Santa Monica are the rooftop bar at the Shangri-La (excellent for watching the sun set on warm summer days", Bar Chloe (classy), and Copa D'Oro (speakeasy-esque).

If you are looking for some downtown LA nightlife, The Edison is an absolute must. It's a bar with excellent bartenders and is located in the converted old power plant for the city of LA. Perch and The Standard are also great if you want to experience the rooftop bar scene. I've heard good things about Varnish and Villains Tavern downtown as well but have yet to check those out.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM

362 posts, read 818,126 times
I too was going to say Mohawk Bend - fantastic beer selection, particularly if you are a fan of Cali IPAs. Selection of non-IPAs is ok.

Others for beer nerds: LA Brewing Company downtown, Verdugo Bar in Eagle Rock, 38 Degrees in Alhambra, Lucky Baldwins if you make the trek to technically non-LA Pasadena... I can't speak for the Surly Goat or Blue Palms as I haven't made my way there; and I've been meaning to check out Beer Belly in K-town.

For regular bars, I'm over the Edison and Association. They're nice for an occasional stop. Perch is alright and Spring Street Bar is nice as well (and has good beers to boot). Next to Spring Street - The Falls is straight garbage, however. Horribly packed and understaffed. Has potential if a new manager/owner with a clue would take over.

Villain's is worth a trip as well.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,541,466 times
In addition to the above...
- Library Bar and 7 Grand in downtown
- Griffin, Bigfoot, Roost on Los Feliz in Atwater
- La Cuevita and the York in Highland Park
- Black Boar in Eagle Rock
- Big Fish and Golden Road Brewery in Glendale
- Tiki Ti Bar on Sunset

Just off the top of my head (hmmm... may have a drinking problem lol)

Old 08-02-2012, 12:27 PM

362 posts, read 818,126 times
Haha now I'm thirsty...

Might as well add:

Wurstkuche downtown for great beers and unique sausages - technically more a beergarden / restaurant, but whatevs.

Casey's Irish Pub downtown and Bar 107 for more of a casual / non glam vibe.

I've been meaning to try the Escondite as well. The food and beer menu has captured my attention.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:25 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,628,299 times
Name the best place for good drinks, mingling and dancing

Old 08-02-2012, 04:05 PM

151 posts, read 299,457 times
The Foundation Room at The House of Blues Sunset Blvd is always fun. if you are an out of towner call and speak with the woman in charge of memberships and she will make arrangements for you

Old 08-02-2012, 06:24 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,310,371 times
Any bar with happy hour specials and two for one drinks.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:02 AM

497 posts, read 1,504,446 times
I used to go the basement in Santa Monica a few times a week...man i would hammered after I left that place. but it was fun.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,249,261 times
There's a cool bar in the Biltmore Hotel that has live jazz. It's beautiful, grand and old. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles