Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:06 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times

Advertisements

I think you're right. I know there is a 'small' Wal-Mart in South L.A. Councilman Parks had no qualms about rolling out the red carpet for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
And none of those are 24-hour Walmarts. I don't think any of those are Supercenters either -- just normal sized Walmart stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
I don't think you need be a Democrat to 'despise' Wal-Mart. Just look at all the class-action lawsuits against them. I bet trial lawyers LOVE them. They treat their workers like crap. The last thing they want is collective bargaining. Workers with representation don't trigger 'enormous costs', unless you think saving the middle class is a worthless goal. Without what little bargaining power Unions possess, we would be even closer to either rich or poor and nowhere in-between. Just my 2 cents.
Costco and Trader Joe's are both nonunion AFAIK and they are both known for low prices.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
I don't know why this is a common complaint. The area is a lot larger, I guess. I heard many times that we need more of both. Pasadena's the same way, a friend of mine said the closest WM is too far and he has to drive to Target all the time.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:03 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
Yes, TJs is non-Union. They aren't in the news for labor or pay issues, either.I shop there, doesn't bother me because they appear to possess some integrity. Many Costcos ARE Union, though I honestly don't know if the Teamsters represent the Los Feliz store or not.

Quote:
Costco and Trader Joe's are both nonunion AFAIK and they are both known for low prices.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:05 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Yes, TJs is non-Union. They aren't in the news for labor or pay issues, either.
They pay just fine, and their employees are glad to work there. Seems much the opposite frequently comes up in regards Wally World, but those must be the pesky 47% we should ignore or revile (since we're mysteriously doing the Dem/Rep thing again in here).

Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
The CEO of Whoile Foods Market has written in the WSJ that his non-union employees are paid more and have better benefits that the unionized stores such as Von's & Ralphs.

Anyone living in Pasadena looking for a WalMart can find a full-size one in Duarte, a mere ten minutes from Old Town Pasadena.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The CEO of Whoile Foods Market has written in the WSJ that his non-union employees are paid more and have better benefits that the unionized stores such as Von's & Ralphs.

Anyone living in Pasadena looking for a WalMart can find a full-size one in Duarte, a mere ten minutes from Old Town Pasadena.
Doesn't matter. It isn't in Pasadena. I told him to come to Rosemead, but there's nothing within a couple blocks.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 AM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
This sort of took the wrong tangent...getting into union vs non-union, left vs right, etc. It still seems like a metro the size of LA should have more.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:24 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Walmart workers strike in Socal: Southern California Walmart employees go on strike — Business — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Seems pretty timely....

Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Quote:
I believe in just compensation--but really, no one is forcing these guys at gunpoint to work at Walmart.

There are pleeenty of people who would jump at the chance to have a job, even if it's a Walmart job.

I don't think in this kind of job and economic climate, these workers should be that picky about the jobs that they have.

If they don't like Walmart, maybe they should leave and work somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles