Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 02:31 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,992 times

Advertisements

Aside from Wal-mart requiring just about all their suppliers to set-up shop in China, the consumer reason I detest Wal-Mart is that going to the store is such a negative experience: The items are not stocked well, and the few that are available have been opened and or damaged; too many kids messing with the items on the shelves; LIMITED stock as in they don't have what I'm looking for and even NOT at the right price. Putting up with the ghetto folk would be worth it if Wally fix my complaints.

Why I prefer Target are all the reasons cited above, but not problems at Target. The employees at Target seem a lot SMARTER, as well. It always a positive experience with well stocked shelves that are NEAT and don't have items broken into with better selection.

Everything is a compromise, and while Wally World is cheaper overall, we have to also factor in the economic principle of SATISFACTION. This is why Starbucks ($5 for a Frappa-what drink?) is still doing very well, even in this economy, and the fact that many of their beverages are "personal items" that while expensive, are still RELATIVELY inexpensive enough that people feel entitled to their $5 ice drink because of other cut-backs they have made.

Targets seem to be everywhere throughout the entire LA Metropolitan 5 county area. Wal-Marts are more in the suburbs of LA and few in the city. I think it is the market. Perhaps consumers in our metro area find Target the best balance of positives I've cited with not the rock bottom lowest prices. I can't recall any community in our Metro area EVER opposing a Target, but some have Wal-Marts.

Also, in the City of LA, aren't there still places like Circus Circus and 99 Cent stores that seem to fill the "Wal-Mart" void when Target seems to expensive. There are a number of smaller stores in the city like Circus Circus and 99 Cent, but practically no such stores like that in the suburbs. Also, many cities have Dollar Tree, and a host of other such stores.

I think the other big reason we don't have that many Wal-Marts is the VERY tightly competitive business market that is the LA Metro area. Wal-Mart let Target saturate LA before Wal-Mart began to seriously consider LA, and now it is a challenge to find a place--real estate--and a community accepting that can also make economic sense enter the LA area so late in the game. Let's not forget that Ralph's and Vons (and to a smaller extent, Albertson's under the previous ownership out of Boise, ID) have run out supermarket competition that was supposed to have buried them. However, they won't be able to do that with Target, Wally, or Costco, but they will make it VERY difficult for Wally as will Target and everyone else. In many parts of the country it is Wal-Mart and NOTHING else but Wal-Mart. LA has never been and easy market to conquer, especially with the competition Wally will face here in all it's forms.

There are many people who are not willing to put-up with the negatives I've cited about the Wal-Mart experience and are willing to pay a bit more at Target to for my cited positive experiences, especially after a hard day at work and they want to get their stuff and GO. Target is excellent about opening cashier stations to move us all out NOW.

To each his own, I guess.

Last edited by HarryKerryJr; 09-21-2012 at 02:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
You defiantly sound like a Midwestern suburbanite lol. You have to adapt to those sort of things when you relocate and think maybe there is a reason why they don't want there city full of big box stores

Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
He didn't sound defiant.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:22 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,445 times
I don't like Wal-Mart too much either but, damn, I'd give my left arm to be treated like a Wal-Mart employee! Please, if you want to know what being treated like **** is, go see your nearest Army Recruiter

To be honest, I like Target better, they also have the best plastic bags of all the big stores. Really, they are great, you can use them for anything and they are really good quality bags. Thank you Target. Thank you.

Last edited by Count David; 09-21-2012 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: expletive

Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
He didn't sound defiant.
I know that you know that he probably meant to write "definitely" instead.

I still do shop at Wally but barely. Main reason is certain items I can only find there, not to mention the lowest retail prices anywhere south of Amazon.

I do think Target used to be a bit more competitive with their pricing against Wally but the last several years, their attitude seemingly changed where they seem to focus on creating a better overall shopping experience instead of more competitive pricing which I think most Target fans like.

When I go to Wally, I don't like taking my time, I wanna grab what I came in to buy and then get the hell out. At Target, I seem more at peace, the place seems a lot more cleaner and vibrant than Wally so if I am not super tired or in a rush, I don't mind taking my time and browsing through the isles. Their employees are typically much easier on the eye too!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:13 AM

611 posts, read 1,601,395 times
That really is the main difference between the two for me. I run into walmart to quickly grab what I need and gtfo. Target on the other hand, there were many occasions where I went in to buy toiletries and end up walking out with much more than "shaving cream and toothpaste".

Old 09-22-2012, 12:39 AM

810 posts, read 1,342,669 times
It really is one of those things you get used to. I don't really like walking around stores for too long, I prefer to find what I need and leave.

I thought given how expensive LA generally is, it would be a way to save some money having a walmart nearby. I generally buy certain basic things at walmart. Usually, these basic things if they have them at grocery stores, cost more.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:41 AM

810 posts, read 1,342,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You defiantly sound like a Midwestern suburbanite lol. You have to adapt to those sort of things when you relocate and think maybe there is a reason why they don't want there city full of big box stores
lol, I am a midwestern suburbanite. Never liked the midwest much though. Already getting cold. When I was on the 101 going north...I knew I had to be in LA.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:22 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,553,915 times
I'm not a fan of Wal*Mart, either, mostly due to the way they treat their employees (rarely giving the part time ones enough hours to qualify for health coverage, etc.). I didn't realize that one is opening in Burbank, but I've been to the Porter Ranch and Panorama City stores. The Porter Ranch store isn't bad. The Panorama City store? Euww.

The argument can be made that around here, Wal*Mart has much less of an impact than it did on the "mom and pop stores" that got hit hard in the midwest whenever one would open and steal all of their customers - but just because goods are cheaper at Wal*Mart doesn't mean they're the best. I've bought make-up from there, and it was awful. I'd rather pay more and get a decent product, and yes, a better shopping experience.

I'm a Target shopper, and I'm grateful there are so many in the SF Valley.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:08 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I don't like Wal-Mart too much either but, damn, I'd give my left arm to be treated like a Wal-Mart employee! Please, if you want to know what being treated like **** is, go see your nearest Army Recruiter
Ya, but bootcamp ends in 3 months(or whatever the army has.). Wal-Mart, your there until your completely devoid of a soul. God forbid find yourself at 50 wondering where the last 25 years went. Aim higher, dont settle. **** those jobs. Only a temporary stepping stone to move higher, and not higher in the company, but get your ass to a better job higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles