Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Thinking more about the logistics of the actual move now. And it dawned upon how much I could streamline the process having one of these nearby.

The reason I mention stores like walmart/target (yes, I know lots of people hate walmart but that's besides the point) is because at Super walmart or Super target, you can literally buy all the food you'll need (unless you're into that "foodie" thing, which I'm not), a plasma TV, household cleaning supplies, a table, super glue, advil, a flash drive, and a bottle of wine to top it off if you'd like.

All in one visit. I don't like the idea of going to Vons for this, CVS for that, and end up paying more, then having to find an electronics store for basic electronics. Best Buy doesn't seem easy to come across either in LA.

Also, I've never found a place that is across-the-board as cheap as walmart for basic necessities. I need to be on a budget when I get there.

To the people who moved to LA from elsewhere...

Did you ever find it hard to "set up shop" so to say with the lack of these department stores that seem to be oversaturated everywhere else?

not sure the reason, as have not been there for awhile...can only suggest, poor quality product(generally bottom of the barrel chinese product), poor view of their overall way they treat their staff (consumerism backlash?)...just a personal view opinion (having visited-no buys, will not return to wal-mart)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 03:09 AM

810 posts, read 1,342,669 times
Yeah, but it's really just a store. The anti-Walmart campaign is as annoying as political campaigns in my opinion. If you need printer paper, windex, a dozen eggs, and a 2-liter of coke zero...it's better having one nearby than not.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:26 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,618 times
I dont think there are any Super Targets in the LA area, maybe in the high and low deserts. There is a Target Greatland in Burbank. It is a bigger store I think but not really that different from other local target stores in terms of merchandise. You find many Target stores in "suburban" areas generally within a complex like a shopping mall especially Westfield shopping malls. There are also many stand alone Targets. Target's everyday prices are cheap but many times you can find better deals on household products, cosmetics, or groceries if you shop at different places if you check their weekly sales and/or use coupons/double coupons at places like Rite-aid, CVS, Vons, Ralphs etc.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:39 AM

Yeah, but that takes more time, and couponing has never been a hobby of mine.

Overall, Walmart is the cheapest. Super Walmart would probably save every struggling American some money if they had one available, food there is cheap too. Even those who claim to hate Walmart could benefit.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
Does't wall mart take jobs and kills businesses? All the while making jobs but treating their employees like complete ****?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:15 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times
I've been here three months and have yet to see a Wal Mart. I've seen plenty of Targets. Too many if you ask me. As many Wal Marts as there were back home I see that Target flooded the LA market.

I also see a lot of Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Ralphs....my god do ya'll love Ralphs of what! I guess this your answer to our Krogers back home.

I think it's a good thing Wal Mart has kept their distance. Those monster shops really do kill local businesses. I prefer for Wally world to be kept at bay even if the lesser of two evils; Target, fills the void leftover.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:40 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
Funny thing about Walmart, they don't grab people off the streets and make them shop there. Everybody loves to blame Walmart for killing local businesses, but they love saving money.

And its there really any difference between Target and Walmart in terms of its impact on local business? They both carry about the same stuff at about the same prices. Target isn't paying its workers twice what Walmart pays. I find Target to be a more pleasant experience (Walmarts feel too crowded with narrow aisles and merchandise stacked everywhere) but that's a personal preference. The real reason Walmart is hated in big coastal cities is that they're anti-union and from a conservative part of the country.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:05 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
I think there is a Super Target in Cerritos, but with the addition of the grocery department, most of the Targets function similarly, though the regular stores may not have a photo studio, clinic, or optometrist. No shortage of Target in LA as others have noted.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmcrocker View Post
Funny yous guys say this. I'm from Minneapolis, which is Target's HQ and Target really is everywhere out there. Don't feel like there are too many out here.

Can't wait for that one to open up downtown though.
Minneapolis exported a few things to L.A. : the Lakers, Target, probally quite a few people.

Just keep your cold winters up there.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:08 PM

Target is never 24 hours, Walmart is sometimes. For some reason, I always find myself pickings things up very late.

Not a big deal, but when you're used to having a 24 hour store with most everything you'll need at a low price, it is nice. Grocery stores always end up costing more when you are buying that isn't food there. And, you have to find their sales, or it still costs you more.

Walmart is also cheaper than Target, basic things like a 2-liter of coke zero can cost double at Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles