Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 05:58 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
With gas at $4 a gallon, you'll spend the extra $1 just driving to Walmart. It's not worth it.

Here's the Yelp reviews for the Panorama City Walmart. One star ratings all around! Walmart - North Hills - Panorama City, CA

Walmarts grocery department is actually very expensive compared to the ethnic markets. The produce at Walmart is outrageous!
Lol have you read the reviews?

I used to live a mile from there. I'll admit it's super crowded. But most of the negative review are from non Hispanics calling the place ghetto.

Just a slight touch of racism in those reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 06:14 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Lol have you read the reviews?

I used to live a mile from there. I'll admit it's super crowded. But most of the negative review are from non Hispanics calling the place ghetto.

Just a slight touch of racism in those reviews.
I used to shop in that store when it was a Broadway and I worked down the street.

I didn't really read the reviews. I've only been in that store once and that was enough. I shopped in the Porter Ranch store when it was new and I worked in Chatsworth -- but then I started "rediscovering" LA and I found that Walmart was actually pretty expensive compared to other places. You can find better quality, more variety and better prices if you just shop around. People who are stuck on Walmart never seem to realize how much they are paying for the privilege of shopping at America's largest retailer.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:25 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,519,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
I go to Ralph's at times, but there's a Vons within walking distance of my apartment and my mainstay over the past eight years has been Stater Bros. (they're great) but lately have been shopping the 99 cent only store and Big Lots. The first has refrigerated and frozen food, and the other has food selections as well.

Figure if I can save money by getting food that's or is virtually the same as at the "name brand" stores, why not?
I've found 99 Cents Only to be great for some things; for instance two four-ounce bottles of Tussin DXM cough syrup cost about half of what you'd pay for one bottle at CVS or Ralphs. But all the food isn't great. All the merchandise isn't great. It can all be somewhat hit or miss. They likely won't have everything you need on a given day*, so you end up having to go to another store anyway. In fairness, this also happens with higher market stores as well; for instance Trader Joes usually has gin and it may have limes, but it won't have tonic water. And they won't have the sodas that people usually want when they don't want alcohol.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
There's no shortage of Target stores in Los Angeles County, or the IE or Orange County either.

WalMart is despised by the Democrats nationwide because it's the nation's largest private employer and has no interest in becoming unionized.

Democrats are willing to impede their constituents from earning a living working in a WalMart while allegedly representing them, disregarding the fact that if WalMart were to become a union shop, the first two things they'd have to do would be to cut their staffing levels and raise their prices in order to accomodate the enormous costs in operating a business which unionization requires and mandates.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:46 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,519,293 times
Quote:
24 Walmarts in LA:

Pico Rivera
Norwalk
Torrance
Santa Fe Springs
Lakewood
Long Beach
Industry
Baldwin Park
La Habra
Covina
Anaheim
Westminster
Santa Clarita
Glendora
Santa Ana
Orange
Pomona
Chino

Hmmm...could it possibly be that the news media/propaganda organizations make up stories out of thin air?
You do realize that most of these places are not "neighborhoods in L.A.". They are their own separate cities and most of them are a drag to drive to especially, but not only, if you live anywhere west of DTLA. There's nothing between the average Angeleno and those places but a couple of hours of crawling on the freeway and a few gallons of gas at $4 per.

To those of you who might have wondered about the thread topic yourselves, don't be misled by the above list. Those do not represent Wal-Mart locations in L.A. If you live in L.A. proper, going to those places is called "driving miles out of town to get to a Wally World."

Old 09-29-2012, 10:59 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
Your average WalMart is also substantially larger than your average Target, so keep that in mind as well.

If you live in any of LA's suburbs, there's no shortage of either one of them.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:35 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,237,365 times
I don't think you need be a Democrat to 'despise' Wal-Mart. Just look at all the class-action lawsuits against them. I bet trial lawyers LOVE them. They treat their workers like crap. The last thing they want is collective bargaining. Workers with representation don't trigger 'enormous costs', unless you think saving the middle class is a worthless goal. Without what little bargaining power Unions possess, we would be even closer to either rich or poor and nowhere in-between. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
There's no shortage of Target stores in Los Angeles County, or the IE or Orange County either.

WalMart is despised by the Democrats nationwide because it's the nation's largest private employer and has no interest in becoming unionized.

Democrats are willing to impede their constituents from earning a living working in a WalMart while allegedly representing them, disregarding the fact that if WalMart were to become a union shop, the first two things they'd have to do would be to cut their staffing levels and raise their prices in order to accomodate the enormous costs in operating a business which unionization requires and mandates.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:46 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
Five-orange, la Habra, Westminster, Santa Ana, and Anaheim.

All the rest are la county.
Not Chino.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
You do realize that most of these places are not "neighborhoods in L.A.". They are their own separate cities and most of them are a drag to drive to especially, but not only, if you live anywhere west of DTLA. There's nothing between the average Angeleno and those places but a couple of hours of crawling on the freeway and a few gallons of gas at $4 per.

To those of you who might have wondered about the thread topic yourselves, don't be misled by the above list. Those do not represent Wal-Mart locations in L.A. If you live in L.A. proper, going to those places is called "driving miles out of town to get to a Wally World."
There are four Walmarts within city of LA....

Porter Ranch
Baldwin Hills
Woodland Hills
Panorama City.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Quote:
There are four Walmarts within city of LA....

Porter Ranch
Baldwin Hills
Woodland Hills
Panorama City.
And none of those are 24-hour Walmarts. I don't think any of those are Supercenters either -- just normal sized Walmart stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles