Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:00 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,927,579 times

Advertisements

The reason for very few walmarts in the La area is the high cost of land. Also when Wal Mart tries to build a store many local residents and city government do everything they can to keep WalMart out. Target has many locations in the San Fernando Valley. Target now has a location in Westwood village,Culver City,West Hollywood and is opening a store in Beverly Blvd and La Cienega.

LA and the San Fernando Valley can do without having many Wal Mart locations. Wal Mart stores are dirty,sell junk and pay their employees low wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 AM

810 posts, read 1,342,789 times
I've always wondered their employees choose to continue working there is they are so abysmally treated.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
I've always wondered their employees choose to continue working there is they are so abysmally treated.
lack of choice. They want out but at the moment, no one else is hiring so they are in it for the long haul. Either they gotta finish school or they already have the skill or degree but the better job just isn't available.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Mostly due to zoning laws.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Quote:
Mostly because they have few other choices once Walmart puts everyone else out of business. They are efficient even if they treat their staff like dirt.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,541,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk92681 View Post
If you're looking for those big box stores that combine retail and groceries, you'll probably be happier in one of LA's suburbs, rather than the city itself. And when I say "suburbs", I mean Simi Valley, Santa Clarita, Palmdale, etc. and not Pasadena, Glendale or Burbank.
I'm in Glendale and there are 3 Targets within about 5 miles of where I live (Eagle Rock, Glendale Galleria, and Burbank). They all sell groceries.

Wal-Marts are more difficult to find close to here, but that's not necessarily a bad thing IMO.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:46 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
I'm also in Glendale. We were counting the number of good grocery stores we have near us (within 3 miles) the other day and came up with over 10.

There is no Walmart in city limits that is open 24-hours that I can think of. I know when you get outside of the city (like in Barstow and Palmdale), they have Walmarts that are open 24-hours, but not around here.

There is no need for a Walmart here. Most of the stores I've been into are big and dirty. I doubt I'd shop in one even if it were a couple of miles away. There are too many better alternatives here.

Also, if you are looking for electronics, try Fry's in Burbank. They are cheaper than Walmart and Best Buy and a hundred times better. The store is huge.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:51 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
24 Walmarts in LA:

Pico Rivera
Norwalk
Torrance
Santa Fe Springs
Lakewood
Long Beach
Industry
Baldwin Park
La Habra
Covina
Anaheim
Westminster
Santa Clarita
Glendora
Santa Ana
Orange
Pomona
Chino

Quote:
Hmmm...could it possibly be that the news media/propaganda organizations make up stories out of thin air?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
24 Walmarts in LA:

Pico Rivera
Norwalk
Torrance
Santa Fe Springs
Lakewood
Long Beach
Industry
Baldwin Park
La Habra
Covina
Anaheim
Westminster
Santa Clarita
Glendora
Santa Ana
Orange
Pomona
Chino

Hmmm...could it possibly be that the news media/propaganda organizations make up stories out of thin air?
How many of those are in Orange County?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:20 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
How many of those are in Orange County?
Five-orange, la Habra, Westminster, Santa Ana, and Anaheim.

All the rest are la county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles