Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,574,917 times

Advertisements

Restating my post from yesterday...

Take Ocean Blvd West over the Vincent Thomas Bridge in to San Pedro ending at Gaffey

Take Gaffey North about 4 or 5 miles (Gaffey turns into Normandie)

Your destination is on Normandie at PCH

STAY OFF THE FREEWAY!! TRUST ME ON THAT ADVICE

Your commute will not take more than 30-35 mins with that route. If you take the 405 you will must definitely be stuck in traffice for nearly an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraaa View Post
Thanks so much for all your replies.

Some of those places are very expensive but the Riviera is doing some renovation to the building now which I believe has some of the prices for rent dropping. There are couple one bedrooms I've seen on Craigslist for 1500 to 1800 - these are the most glam of those in the building, but they do have some very nice views - either ocean or city but probably not both. Still though, gosh - now with that in mind about the commute times I thinking maybe Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach would better choices - that way I could go south on the 405 instead of north. Or, maybe avoid the 405 altogether. Google says about 20 minutes from MB or HB to Torrance. What do you guys think about that idea? The only problem with that is I sort of like the style of downtown long Beach a little more than MB or HB - LB seems more city-like.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:05 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,574,917 times
The commute from LB will be easier than from MB or HB. Redondo Beach or Torrance would probably work better. Palos Verdes is a good option as well, although more family oriented.

Belmont Shore area of LB is very nice too.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:51 PM

21 posts, read 69,211 times
Default examine the citydata.com and do research demographics

It is surprising how many people are relying so much on the forum for information. If you doubt what I have said in my posts, do research. The largest population in Long Beach is hispanic. They own it. And 90% of them are illegals. It abounds with crime. One of the threads above stated they were asking opinions because they had checked it out and discovered it had a high crime rate. That's right. It does!!!!!

A movie was recently made about Long Beach. It states that one can simply walk out their front door and end up shot. Get on the web and find the documentary about Long Beach and you will know the truth.

Anybody with a child in school in Long Beach and is not concerned or fearful for their child is deaf, dumb, and a mute. Don't see, don't hear, don't know. ignorance is bliss whhile your child is beaten up and/or shot and left for dead in some dirty alley.

And the traffic? In L. A.? Are you serious! 1/2 hour to get from Long Beach to Torrance. Get real! Try an hour and a half one way. 3 hours round trip. Wake up, boys and girl! Smell the coffee. Don't take everything as if it is a personal attackon you. This forum is about getting information to people who want to live here; people coming from far away in some cases. Tell the truth!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:01 PM

21 posts, read 69,211 times
No. It is the 'Orange Wall'. And it was not named so by the angelinos. it was named that by orange county residents and it meant they wanted l.a. people to stay out of orange county. so 'orange' county figuratively put up a 'wall'. it had nothing to do with republicans and democrats. it had to do with sophisticated orange county wanting to keep out l.a. trash.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,384,823 times
Yes, large portions of Long Beach are horrible, but not Belmont Shore. You can't classify a city of 500k all as one thing. Bixby Knolls isn't that bad either. The CSULB area is okay. Coastal DT LB is okay.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:35 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,134,131 times
If you want to travel against traffic (going south on 405) consider the Westchester area or if you want the beach, Santa Monica.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:26 PM

916 posts, read 3,705,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy lady View Post
It is surprising how many people are relying so much on the forum for information. If you doubt what I have said in my posts, do research. The largest population in Long Beach is hispanic. They own it. And 90% of them are illegals. It abounds with crime. One of the threads above stated they were asking opinions because they had checked it out and discovered it had a high crime rate. That's right. It does!!!!!

A movie was recently made about Long Beach. It states that one can simply walk out their front door and end up shot. Get on the web and find the documentary about Long Beach and you will know the truth.

Anybody with a child in school in Long Beach and is not concerned or fearful for their child is deaf, dumb, and a mute. Don't see, don't hear, don't know. ignorance is bliss whhile your child is beaten up and/or shot and left for dead in some dirty alley.

And the traffic? In L. A.? Are you serious! 1/2 hour to get from Long Beach to Torrance. Get real! Try an hour and a half one way. 3 hours round trip. Wake up, boys and girl! Smell the coffee. Don't take everything as if it is a personal attackon you. This forum is about getting information to people who want to live here; people coming from far away in some cases. Tell the truth!!!
You are wrong. There are many neighborhoods that are as nice as any in SoCal. There are also many good schools. There are some crappy areas in LB. It is a big city.

I live in Naples. You can not buy a house for under 800k and one sold last year for 8 million. Naples elementary and Rogers intermediate are exceptional schools regardless of city. Wilson is at worst an average high school. I have worked in Torrance and even on the freeway it rarely took me more than 45 minutes.

FYI 30% of LB is hispanic (not that it matters) and for the most part they are concentrated in a one area of LB.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:57 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,384,823 times
[mod cut: unnecessary]

I thought I read somewhere LB Poly is one of the best schools in LA. Or maybe it was LB.

If we dropped gypsy onto Naples and had her guess where she was, she would never know it is in Long Beach.

From Wiki:
The racial makeup of the city was 45.16% White, 14.87% African American, 0.84% Native American, 12.05% Asian, 1.21% Pacific Islander, 20.61% from other races, and 5.27% from two or more races. Latino of any race were 35.77% of the population. Non-Hispanic/Latino whites were 33.13% of the population.

According to a report by USA Today in 2000, Long Beach is the most ethnically diverse large city in the United States.[8] Its Asian community includes a large Cambodian community, the second-largest Cambodian community outside of Asia (after Paris); and a neighborhood along Anaheim Street is called "Little Phnom Penh". There are also sizable populations of immigrants and descendants from Vietnam and the [[Philippines.

Last edited by SandyCo; 04-15-2008 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: moderating commentary deleted

Old 04-13-2008, 09:03 PM

312 posts, read 1,061,023 times
After reading all these posts, I wonder what ever happened to the black guy from NY? I think you just have to get to know the city to know where good and bad areas are. I suppose gypsy lady was in the downtown area, and it's true, one wrong turn can put you in some scary areas. Ocean Bl. seems ok, but on the west side of town, if you go a couple of blocks north,it's a barrio with mentally ill homeless people wandering around. in the center of town, once you get up a few blocks, it is bordering on the hood. There was a murder a few months ago at the WalMart on Long Beach Bl. The gay area on the east side is pretty cool once you get past the Alamitos area, but if you wander north a few blocks, you might feel like locking your doors. Go by 10th and orange, and check out the house with bullet holes in the stucco. (I think it's orange, or that area.) Belmont shore is pricey and congested but I still like it. Naples and the marina, too. I also like Seal Beach, even though it's just beyond the Orange Curtain, it's a cool little beach town in my opinion. Never heard of the "Orange Wall" by the way.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:44 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,240,199 times
Default response from Mr. Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy lady View Post
No. It is the 'Orange Wall'. And it was not named so by the angelinos. it was named that by orange county residents and it meant they wanted l.a. people to stay out of orange county. so 'orange' county figuratively put up a 'wall'. it had nothing to do with republicans and democrats. it had to do with sophisticated orange county wanting to keep out l.a. trash.
Oh my.

Well, if sophistication means knowing how to do alittle research, then you may have to re-examine your 'facts.'

A brief google search pulled up primarily political references to the term, i.e. liberal versus conservative. I mentioned Reagan in my post. He was a politician, so that fits. Below is from an OC blog:

http://annieha.blogspot.com/2007/12/orange-curtain.html

This one is actually called 'Politics from Behind the Orange Curtain.' It is a conservative website, by its' own admission:

[SIZE=3]http://ocblog.typepad.com/ocblog/politics_behind_the_orange_curtain/index.html[/SIZE]

So, it appears it had EVERYTHING to do with politics.

And you were saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles