Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 7,201 times

Advertisements

I have to live in Long Beach to be close to work so I guess for now I have to make the best of the situation and choose a relatively safer area.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:31 AM

916 posts, read 3,700,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Don't move to Long Beach.

I know people are giving it thumbs up, but unless your job or business is going to be close by I wouldn't move there. Long Beach is like Harlem in NYC. It's getting good, but if drive down the wrong block or road you can wind up back in the 1970s (harlem) or crime ridden territory (LB).

If you're willing to ride out the "change" or "gentrification" of the area, then go ahead.
This is an uninformed comment. Drive through Naples, Park Estates or Belmont Shore and tell me if you feel like there is a better neighborhood in SoCal. This comment is like saying Los Angeles is a bad city. Tell that to the folks in Brentwood.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
This is an uninformed comment. Drive through Naples, Park Estates or Belmont Shore and tell me if you feel like there is a better neighborhood in SoCal. This comment is like saying Los Angeles is a bad city. Tell that to the folks in Brentwood.
Nothing in my comment said that and it's NOT uninformed. How dare you?

I've driven through Long Beach (thank you very much). The place is half and half to ME. I'm giving MY opinion and MY opinion only with what I saw with MY own eyes. I didn't drive all over, but there were some places that didn't look too nice and others that were great - JUST LIKE HARLEM.

Please don't begin to dissect MY comments since you don't know me.

MY personal opinion is if you don't have to live there to be close to work, school, etc., then find someplace else in the city to move to.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,778 times
I seen a few posts with inquiries about moving to Long Beach so I figured I would post this here if its no problem. I'm thinking of moving Long Beach. Could someone tell me what they think of this area?
West Ocean Blvd 90802. The apartment is 795 feet for 975 for 1 bedroom. Is that considered small? I know nothing of the area so any info would be great.
Thanks!!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
For any downtown that is not small. That place is in downtown LB on the street closet to the ocean. It's a great place to live.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:30 PM

48 posts, read 245,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Nothing in my comment said that and it's NOT uninformed. How dare you?

I've driven through Long Beach (thank you very much). The place is half and half to ME. I'm giving MY opinion and MY opinion only with what I saw with MY own eyes. I didn't drive all over, but there were some places that didn't look too nice and others that were great - JUST LIKE HARLEM.

Please don't begin to dissect MY comments since you don't know me.

MY personal opinion is if you don't have to live there to be close to work, school, etc., then find someplace else in the city to move to.
I had written a long and flame war worthy response. I've decided not to post it. Instead, I suggest you either spend some more time in the city of Long Beach and get an informed opinion or take a step back and recognize that your opinion is singularly uninformed. To compare the 35th largest city in the nation with a single neighborhood in a single borough in NYC is, by any reasonable estimate, as pointless as comparing the entire USA to Switzerland because you once drove through Detroit.

I don't need to KNOW you to dissect your comments. If knowing you would change MY OPINION of YOUR OPINION, you need to tell how and why in this forum, the only place we're likely to meet.

Last edited by mallthus; 12-08-2007 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: I Don't Need To Know You

Old 12-10-2007, 11:01 AM

830 posts, read 2,861,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascara View Post
I seen a few posts with inquiries about moving to Long Beach so I figured I would post this here if its no problem. I'm thinking of moving Long Beach. Could someone tell me what they think of this area?
West Ocean Blvd 90802. The apartment is 795 feet for 975 for 1 bedroom. Is that considered small? I know nothing of the area so any info would be great.
Thanks!!
That sounds like a pretty good deal. In LA a place like that could easily run you $1,300-$1,400+ per month.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,412 times
Wow, those pics are beautiful! I am planning on moving to Long Beach July 08'. I am excited!

Old 03-27-2008, 02:24 AM

21 posts, read 69,105 times
Default No No No

Don't move to the downtown area of long beach! You will be in for such a shock. (eek! icon)

Ironically there are small art galleries and activities but it is infested with homeless bums and high crime. The whole of downtown smells because of the bums. The stink is horrible. Long Beach is many many mexicans. Huge population. Predominantly mexicans and illegals. Crime abounds. If you go to belmont shore it is much better. But snooty. Phony. Arrogant. But looks nice.

The good thing about Long Beach is that it is so easy to get an apartment close to the beach. But be careful in going to the beach. You will be nickle and dimed to death by homeless people asking for handouts. They will be rummaging through trash cans. The water is dirty. Makes one not want to swim in it.

Long Beach is part of L.A. county. Orange county calls their border line with L.A. the orange wall because they don't want any of the l.a. trash coming across. If you want a nice place to live try orange county along the beach. Huntington beach, seal beach, laguna beach, etc. Very nice areas and safe. No riff raff. But stay out of LongBeach. I guarantee you will regret it. From a sister to a brother.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy lady View Post
Don't move to the downtown area of long beach! You will be in for such a shock. (eek! icon)

Ironically there are small art galleries and activities but it is infested with homeless bums and high crime. The whole of downtown smells because of the bums. The stink is horrible. Long Beach is many many mexicans. Huge population. Predominantly mexicans and illegals. Crime abounds. If you go to belmont shore it is much better. But snooty. Phony. Arrogant. But looks nice.

The good thing about Long Beach is that it is so easy to get an apartment close to the beach. But be careful in going to the beach. You will be nickle and dimed to death by homeless people asking for handouts. They will be rummaging through trash cans. The water is dirty. Makes one not want to swim in it.

Long Beach is part of L.A. county. Orange county calls their border line with L.A. the orange wall because they don't want any of the l.a. trash coming across. If you want a nice place to live try orange county along the beach. Huntington beach, seal beach, laguna beach, etc. Very nice areas and safe. No riff raff. But stay out of LongBeach. I guarantee you will regret it. From a sister to a brother.
Some familiar OC-isms:

It's the 'Orange Curtain', by the way. Angelenos started calling it that when Reagan became President.

OC is where NO LEFT TURN is more than just a traffic sign, and 'Art' is a mans' name.

I grew up in Costa Mesa. As soon as I could drive, I was gone. Never looked back.

Back to LB:

I lived in Belmont Heights for years, near Rose Park. Never was a crime victim, though parking is horrendous. They have zoned all these single-family neighborhoods for multi-unit condos. Same disease spread to Belmont Shores. Also lived in East Long Beach, around Wardlow and Spring. Very boring suburban gig, with a neighbor who 'thanked' by wife and I for not being Black, as there was a Black couple interested in renting the house.

Welcome to the neighborhood. I told him I guess it was good thing I was the right color. Thankfully, we never spoke again.

Avoid central Long Beach, where the Cambodian gangs are. I lived near Cherry and PCH, not pretty. I know some people who live in Bixby Knolls, very nice area west of Long Beach Blvd, not far from 45th Street. Oh, and the area around CSULB is pretty nice. Know a couple of people who live off Bellflower Blvd. near the 'Iron Triangle.' Boy, they got some funny names for things out there.

And the water is warm from the oil island drilling, so they told us. It was so warm (how warm was it) that I used to go swimming at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles