Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 04:56 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,307,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
This is alone is reason you ought not comment on the matter. Peoples psyche are something that has a huge number of factors, but they are not "created" by anyone.

Rather, let the professionals assess the situation, which they have, and which I've provided links to. Trust their judgement on the matter, not yours.
Yes, but just because someone is a self described professional does not always mean they are. I really don't 100 percent trust anyone's judgement and neither should anyone. Professional or not, all people can be manipulated and truths can be subverted. I think there might be a more to this story that has not yet been revealed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 05:01 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
This is alone is reason you ought not comment on the matter. Peoples psyche are something that has a huge number of factors, but they are not "created" by anyone.

Rather, let the professionals assess the situation, which they have, and which I've provided links to. Trust their judgement on the matter, not yours.
Environmental factors play a huge part. The guy is suffering from strong mental issues. I'm not questioning the doctors analysis. But I'm questioning the institution that is putting out these cops. And I'm not just talking about him but corruption, evidence suppression, evidence planting or tampering, kickbacks, brutality, killings, etc etc etc etc.

Sociologists and social scientists study this. And yes these institutions create this. You just presume that the problem is all on the individual and to me that is knee jerk reactionary response peddled by right wingers that indirectly apologize for our corrupt institutions all the time and insist on the "personal responsibility" canard.

I am with you in saying that the conspiracy stuff is not plausible but you're insistence on just brushing this off as another case of a nut gone postal is simply knee jerk.

Psychiatrists and psychologists examine his mental stability and what he's thinking. They don't lay claim to answers about the overall systemic problems in the police force. That's a sociological and political question.

For as brazen as you are telling everyone off is thought you'd know that.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Environmental factors play a huge part. The guy is suffering from strong mental issues. I'm not questioning the doctors analysis. But I'm questioning the institution that is putting out these cops. And I'm not just talking about him but corruption, evidence suppression, evidence planting or tampering, kickbacks, brutality, killings, etc etc etc etc.

Sociologists and social scientists study this. And yes these institutions create this. You just presume that the problem is all on the individual and to me that is knee jerk reactionary response peddled by right wingers that indirectly apologize for our corrupt institutions all the time and insist on the "personal responsibility" canard.

I am with you in saying that the conspiracy stuff is not plausible but you're insistence on just brushing this off as another case of a nut gone postal is simply knee jerk.

Psychiatrists and psychologists examine his mental stability and what he's thinking. They don't lay claim to answers about the overall systemic problems in the police force. That's a sociological and political question.

For as brazen as you are telling everyone off is thought you'd know that.
How many police officers/military types turn into remorseless spree killers? 1-2%, if that?

I'm not defending the LAPD (that incident in Torrance makes me want to vomit), but we're going too far blaming them for creating this guy, or for pushing him over the edge. Getting fired doesn't justify triple homicide. Ever, anywhere. I don't care what goods he has on the LAPD either. Keep in mind that Adam Lanza, James Holmes, and Cho Seung Hui were not police officers, and had no connection to law enforcement. They were students. Ted Bundy was a lawyer. Harold Shipman was a doctor. Adrew Cunanon was a boy-toy wannabe Hollywood type. Psychopathic killers come from all types of backgrounds.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,059,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Why? Because I'm not just boo-hooing over the JUST the lives of two people and I'm looking at the possibility of hundreds of innocent people who were jailed and killed by the police officers over the decades.

I'm also looking you and others in a similiar fashion, I never agreed to anything that he is doing but I find it interesting that many of you have easily written him off to side with an already corrupt LAPD. Is it because he is a blackman complaining about racism and since no one will listen to him he took it to the extreme? It just seems to me since this country is founded on violence it is the only way that anyone will pay any attention to you.

The point being is instead of just killing him and going on as business as usual a real investigation should be conducted and not swept under the rug like they are often done. Are you aware that other cities are having the same probelm with their police forces as well? This might be the tip of the iceberg unless the real probelms are brough out into the forefront.
Society always and seems to only shame blacks who talk about racism, telling them to get over it. Then again, most of the demographic majority tend to be support modern law enforcement and the current system.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:19 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,059,397 times
Quote:
So you are comparing one individual who lost it over Lord knows what, to over 200 years of institutionalize discrimination? The actions of one white person is rarely associated with all white people in general, but let one black woman on welfare be protrayed, and the every imaginable statistic is going to come ouot proving that blacks are the reason why the economy is in the crapper

You even proved it in your rebuttal "blacks just snapped" as far as I'm aware of there is only one blackman involved in the shooting
Most non-blacks (whites in particular) seem to have that mindset that one black person represents all blacks in general. Then they like to bring up crime statistics associated with race.

Last edited by West of Encino; 02-09-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Most non-blacks (whites in particular) seem to have that mindset that one black person represents all blacks in general. Then they like to bring up crime statistics associated with race.
That's what every race thinks about every race..

Old 02-09-2013, 05:46 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
How many police officers/military types turn into remorseless spree killers? 1-2%, if that?

I'm not defending the LAPD (that incident in Torrance makes me want to vomit), but we're going too far blaming them for creating this guy, or for pushing him over the edge. Getting fired doesn't justify triple homicide. Ever, anywhere. I don't care what goods he has on the LAPD either. Keep in mind that Adam Lanza, James Holmes, and Cho Seung Hui were not police officers, and had no connection to law enforcement. They were students. Ted Bundy was a lawyer. Harold Shipman was a doctor. Adrew Cunanon was a boy-toy wannabe Hollywood type. Psychopathic killers come from all types of backgrounds.
Well I wasn't just talking about killers, I was talking about how that's just one of the many problems endemic to the force itself. As a whole it's rife with issues that stem from the list I gave to outbreaks of total violence like with this guy. I don't know what it was you were trying to prove because I wasn't saying a corrupt institution justifies homicide. I don't even know how you got that from my post other than that you presume explaining or understanding the situation from a pov other than just saying its another lunatic is apologizing for his behavior.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 PM

32 posts, read 126,868 times
Quote:
So you are comparing one individual who lost it over Lord knows what, to over 200 years of institutionalize discrimination? The actions of one white person is rarely associated with all white people in general, but let one black woman on welfare be protrayed, and the every imaginable statistic is going to come ouot proving that blacks are the reason why the economy is in the crapper

You even proved it in your rebuttal "blacks just snapped" as far as I'm aware of there is only one blackman involved in the shooting
I QUOTED WHAT YOU SAID. YOU WROTE BLACKS JUST SNAP. so what the hell are you talking about.
Originally Posted by simetime
Denial is more than just a river. If you were black working in these type of conditions especially after serving your country, why should this be accepted in any form what-so-ever? The man like many other blacks just snapped, the difference is that he is focused on what he is doing and knows who his enemies actually are and how to deal with them

Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,489 times
As a guy who is always skeptical of incidents involving the police, I will say that in this case, I understand the mans grudges, but at the same time, even if his complaints are legit, that doesn't give him the right to go on a rampage and start killing people, whether those people are police officers or regular civilians.

I am also a criminal justice major who has interest in moving back to California after I am finished with college and the LAPD is one of the police departments that I will be seeking employment with. I realize that every police force is going to have a few bad apples but an entire police force shouldn't be judged based on the actions of a few nut jobs.

I hope this guy is caught soon.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 AM

93 posts, read 254,907 times
Has anyone seen traffic enforcement (speed traps) around LA since the manhunt? Is it very low priority right now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles