Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 05:24 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I didn't question it when I lived here before, but I do now. You've got over 3 million ppl in city of Los Angeles alone, not to mention the surrounding cities, relentless wildfires, extremely hot temps, car washes everywhere, extremely wasteful users, no rationing, etc. Are they recycling toilet water and not telling us?
Yes, they use recycled toilet water in fact to water a lot of landscaping/lawns, etc..

LA doesn't really have extremely hot temps, well the inland valleys/Inland empire can, but the main LA basin, even more than five miles from the beach still gets a little cooled off by breezes. In fact its often cloudier and foggier here than most realize (June gloom anyone?).

wildfires occur throughout the west, I'm not sure how the occurrence of wildfires affect water supply, unless you are talking firefighting water? and they're not relentless either. But they are a part of most ecosystems in the west and wherever you have a distinct wet and dry season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 05:27 PM

As a side note, people think again and again, that LA is a desert, etc., etc.

Well, did you know that one of the most significant cities in the Bay Area gets about the same amount of average precip as LA?? San Jose.

Another surprise, LA gets slightly more average annual precip than Denver, CO. Difference is, nearly all of LAs precip comes between Halloween and Easter. Denver has freak snow and thunderstorms any time of year.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:33 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yes, they use recycled toilet water in fact to water a lot of landscaping/lawns, etc..

LA doesn't really have extremely hot temps, well the inland valleys/Inland empire can, but the main LA basin, even more than five miles from the beach still gets a little cooled off by breezes. In fact its often cloudier and foggier here than most realize (June gloom anyone?).

wildfires occur throughout the west, I'm not sure how the occurrence of wildfires affect water supply, unless you are talking firefighting water? and they're not relentless either. But they are a part of most ecosystems in the west and wherever you have a distinct wet and dry season.
Well, I live in one of those "valleys" (woodland Hills) and it has been hot as hell the past couple of days! Oddly, when I was driving down Laurel Cyn yesterday, I felt an immediate coolness when driving on the southside of Mulholland Drive. It felt really good.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Well, I live in one of those "valleys" (woodland Hills) and it has been hot as hell the past couple of days! Oddly, when I was driving down Laurel Cyn yesterday, I felt an immediate coolness when driving on the southside of Mulholland Drive. It felt really good.
Woodland Hills is very literally one of the hottest spots in LA proper. (yes its in LA proper). The whole SF Valley is hot in the summer, and I believe WH might be the hottest.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:41 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
They could just take water from the pacific ocean...
I guess you missed the discussion above on desalination. It's expensive.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Woodland Hills is very literally one of the hottest spots in LA proper. (yes its in LA proper). The whole SF Valley is hot in the summer, and I believe WH might be the hottest.
No kidding. Since the fire station is just up the street from me, it really feels like there are ALWAYS fires occurring.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:

Well, did you know that one of the most significant cities in the Bay Area gets about the same amount of average precip as LA?? San Jose.

Another surprise, LA gets slightly more average annual precip than Denver, CO. Difference is, nearly all of LAs precip comes between Halloween and Easter. Denver has freak snow and thunderstorms any time of year.
Actually it's a Subtropical-Mediterranean climate, and doesn't get as hot as some of the more northern areas such as Stockton, or even Contra Costa County due to the marine influence. The real problem is
the lack of local water sources, and huge thirst for water with the population, large lawns and swimming pools. With most of the water in Northern CA, and the farming irrigation needs in the Central Valley, there is a growing competition for the resource.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Actually it's a Subtropical-Mediterranean climate, and doesn't get as hot as some of the more northern areas such as Stockton, or even Contra Costa County due to the marine influence. The real problem is
the lack of local water sources, and huge thirst for water with the population, large lawns and swimming pools. With most of the water in Northern CA, and the farming irrigation needs in the Central Valley, there is a growing competition for the resource.
Spot on. No debate there.

With one minor adjustment - there really aren't as many large lawns or even as many swimming pools as people think. The populated part of LA county is about the densest urban area in the country. Most people live in apartments, and single family homes are mostly on very small lots. And the water thats used for landscaping purposes is often recycled water. You know this, as there are many signs saying not to drink the water on parks, golf courses, cemeteries, etc.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Default From our summer sweat, and the tears of dreamers

From our summer sweat, and the tears of dreamers now turned broken shells of their former selves fading away on the streets along with their visions of glamour and fame..

Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:

Here in the Bay Area there are even micro deserts along the Western shoreline of the Bay, due to the double whammy of the Santa Cruz Mtns rain shadow and the way air parcels suddenly descend when they start to move off the land and over the Bay. In most of that sector, development hides this due to landscaping. But in tracts that have no landscaping, you can see the true nature of such microclimates. 9 - 11" per year imparts an unmistakeable look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles