Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
The issue I had with Westwood was that while there are a ton of food options, there aren't that many healthy ones. Sure, there's Whole Foods and now Trader Joes (which didn't exist when I lived there), but they are far outnumbered by fast food eateries. And who could resist Lamonicas pizza, or in n out burger, or diddy riese, or stans donuts. Then sit down restaurants, what do you have? BJ's famous for beer, burgers, pizza and pizzookie... or jerry's deli with its oversized sandwcihes, palamino and napa valley grille with martinis and steaks (sure, get the chicken option but it's still covered in sauce and comes with potato sides), and bella pitta which is probably the most fattening mediaterrenean food I can imagine, then gushi which tasted great but had more msg and fat than, waht's that newplace? Fat Sal's? there's that now and sepa. geez. and that diner must still be there, the super cheap one thats been there forever. As opposed to downtown santa monica and west hollywood, which are filled with all sorts of healthy salad and protein shake joints. At least I hear tender greens is opening in westwood, replacing my old favorite junky mexican $1 margarita place, acapulcos...
Yeah, I agree. You do got Yogurtland though, if that counts. But yeah, it's so easy to eat at all those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yeah, I agree. You do got Yogurtland though, if that counts. But yeah, it's so easy to eat at all those places.
And what else? Fatburger, The Stand (or did it close), Denny's, Cafe Elysee (all pastries), Jose Bernstein. Then the Japanese places like Tomadochi, Osaka Grill/Fortuna (if it's still there), Ami Sushi, Yamato... they're the equivalent of Japanese fast food. The diner I'm talking about is Headlines.

Westwood may be LA's capital of fatty fast food now that I think about it. Interesting analysis.

Where are the low carb, high protein options in Westwood Village? Besides Whole Foods, all you got is Native Foods which is vegan so that doesn't really count. I see there's a place now called Nature's Way. I guess that qualifies. So the options to stay slim in Westwood are virtually nil.

This is as opposed to West Hollywood with Tender Greens, Bodyfactory, My Fit Foods, Chop Stop all on the same block... and even the fatty places at least offering low calorie and chicken breast options.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
What is the diner place you mentioned?

I agree it's mostly fast food type stuff, but it makes sense for college students or UCLA workers on a budget or in a hurry.

I guess it does have surprisingly low healthy options though.

It's not in Westwood , but there is a new place that opened in NoHo arts (they have other locations) called Fish Dish. It's kind of a fast casual place with all different types of Fish dishes and some chicken ones too.

Prices are pretty reasonable for fresh fish and the portions are pretty good sized.

I wonder if something like this would do well in Westwood . FISHFISHGRILL.COM

I'm thinking perhaps even though healthy eating is popular in L.A (and elsewhere) , perhaps college students still aren't big fans of it?..

West Hollywood has more of a post college crowd, and maybe people start thinking more health conscious after college?
Just some theory , but it seems like there could be something to it.

I haven't been to the rest , but I think Tender Greens is very good.

West Hollywood is a very health/image conscious part of L.A so it makes sense that all those healthy food places could support it .

Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 PM

^The diner is called Headlines. I guess that's a good point about Westwood. It's mostly college students and employees. They love junk food. West Hollywood and Downtown Santa Monica are very image and health conscious, so those kinds of places thrive. But Westwood is bringing in Tender Greens at least.

I guess if I lived in Westwood I'd be at Chipotle and Whole Foods everyday.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 PM

215 posts, read 490,993 times
I do live in Westwood and am at Chipotle and Whole Foods multiple times a week. I am moving to West Hollywood on October 1st.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
I do live in Westwood and am at Chipotle and Whole Foods multiple times a week. I am moving to West Hollywood on October 1st.
Exactly my point. There's tons of healthy options in WeHo. Even the places with predominately unhealthy food have lots of skinny options. Probably about as opposite as Westwood as it gets. The Sunset Strip still has a lot of crap though.

Hollywood also has some good options by the arclight.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:26 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
I got berated by the police in Westwood for jaywalking in the '90s. They almost ran me over with their squad car to stop me. I was walking in the crosswalk while the red hand was flashing. That's how I was jaywalking. They threatened to arrest me because I wouldn't tell them my ethnicity. I felt my drivers license was enough info. Jerks. I filed a compliant for that.
Why did you refuse to tell them your ethnicity?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Why did you refuse to tell them your ethnicity?
Why do they need to know for a jaywalking ticket? They had my drivers license and my name would give that away. Of course, I was walking with a couple of white friends, and they singled me out to get the ticket, so I was a bit upset. That was my first time encountering that type of discrimination.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Why do they need to know for a jaywalking ticket?
Perhaps they were concerned with being investigated for racial profiling, so they simply wanted to know your ethnicity to satisfy their superiors.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Exactly my point. There's tons of healthy options in WeHo. Even the places with predominately unhealthy food have lots of skinny options. Probably about as opposite as Westwood as it gets. The Sunset Strip still has a lot of crap though.

Hollywood also has some good options by the arclight.
If I move within LA, it'd be Santa Monica. But a big bonus for me is being able to walk to work. Saves money on a monthly TAP card, plus I don't have to rely on the bus.

I certainly don't mind the lack of healthy food options in Westwood. But I guess it's a must if it wants to have a varied dining scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles