Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 06:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingdoll1 View Post
I moved there (to the Westside) when I was a similar age - just out of college. I enjoyed it. Plenty to offer people of all interests - I could swing or salsa dance any night of the week, go to a hip posh lounge, watch the symphony rehearse for free, go to a play, have intellectual conversations with people who cared about what is happening in the world.

I think LA gets a bad rap - some of it deserved, some of it exaggerated, and some of it flat out not true. The air is dirty and there is cement everywhere, it is not a city you go to for the beauty, like Seattle. But it does have culture, smart people, and a lot to do - it isn't boring.

A small grass is greener antidote: After 5 years I wanted a change and moved to San Diego, which for some reason I thought would be an "LA-Light." SD was much prettier and the air was cleaner, I also felt safer, however... in all candor, in my experience, the people in general were not as cultured, not as appreciative of the arts (by a long shot), not as educated, not as intelligent, and pretty apathetic in general - especially if it involved anything happening outside of San Diego or world events. It also seemed to lack that young professional post-work happy hour scene that LA (and I think most major cites) have.

People seem to really like to bag on LA. Some of it is warranted, but other cities also deserve criticism, but never really get it. People like to focus their negative thoughts on LA is seems, second Seattle for the 'horrible weather.' That is at least my personal experience.
Actually there is plenty of beauty in LA. Lots of areas that look quite rustic but are close to the city, never been to the hillsides?

No one is "bagging" on LA on this thread. Just pointing out the OP needs more money and a better plan.

Your story sounds totally different. You got a job out of college that allowed you to live on the Westside and to enjoy a good social life. All the things you mentioned doing costs $$$$$.

The OP wants to come out with limited savings, no car, no job, and from the way her posts are written not a good skill set.

Doesn't matter whether it is LA, Dallas, or Seattle. It's simply not enough money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:26 PM

73 posts, read 165,139 times
I never said ppl were bagging on LA in this thread, I meant that I hear it a lot in general and have for years. I recently read on some post that LA is a third world city and something about a mexican taco truck central. However, I realized I posted this is the wrong thread. lol I meant to post it in the one about the 22 yr old man wanting a young professional atmosphere. I must have gone back and assumed this headline was that thread.

Since I already posted here by accident, I will add though that I moved to LA without a job, and lived with a roommate in a 2 bedroom apt. I lived out of savings for a couple months while I interviewed. The job market was much better back then.

Which hillsides do you recommend?

Old 04-28-2014, 10:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Mexican taco truck central ! Sounds nice . Who doesn't like tacos?

Old 04-28-2014, 11:32 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I know, right? That's supposed to be a BAD thing???

Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Agreed.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:11 AM

55 posts, read 124,295 times
I think LA is cheaper than Boston but still a very expensive city due to many factors including high taxes..
If you need to avoid cold weather for health reasons and don't make a lot of money, I definitely wouldn't recommend LA..

Probably somewhere like Austin, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc. I don't even think below an 85K salary is that much out here. Even over a 6 figure salary isn't really anything special out here (that comfortable)...

Min wage and living out here..

Old 04-29-2014, 12:46 AM

73 posts, read 165,139 times
OMG, forget the taco truck... lol, it was something derogatory or negative, I don't recall....something about third world city. I was more referring to what I hear about LA all the time, not on this thread. I posted on the wrong thread anyway.

Last edited by dancingdoll1; 04-29-2014 at 01:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles