Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:14 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
I have a friend who recently moved to Long Beach to pursue his residency at a local hospital. He found a decent one bedroom apartment in the Bixby Knolls part of town. I understand his rent isn't too bad. You may want to check out Bixby Knolls.
Yep, another notable area and better value for money than Belmont ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 04:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
This isn't necessarily true. Basically anything south/east of the traffic circle is fine and lots of the stuff between Junipero and the traffic circle is ok. This isn't the days anymore of armys of crack ho's walking PCH from the 710 to Redondo.

And of course Bixby Knolls...and Lakewood as well.

OP, your budget may be pushing it but I'll bet you can find something around that price range if you work at it.
If I were to return to The Southland I would have Lakewood on my shortlist.

Lived there temporarily when I was working back and forth between the Bay and LA ... mind you this was the early 90s ... even then it was superb.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 6,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Shhhhhhhhhh .... don't tell anyone ....
LOL....Don't worry your secret is safe with me.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 6,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
If I were to return to The Southland I would have Lakewood on my shortlist.

Lived there temporarily when I was working back and forth between the Bay and LA ... mind you this was the early 90s ... even then it was superb.
Agreed. The early 90's was when I ventured into Lakewood often and I liked it there. Definitely scanning the Craigslist ads for Lakewood rentals.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:13 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP Coming to LBC View Post
Agreed. The early 90's was when I ventured into Lakewood often and I liked it there. Definitely scanning the Craigslist ads for Lakewood rentals.
Lakewood and long beach are near each other and overlap in certain areas, you can't go wrong with those parts generally.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,550 times
#1 Best in the West is Signal Hill, Ca. (Sits in the middle of long beach.) Very safe & scenic too! The signal hill pd will respond in 9 seconds!
2Nd Choice: The traffic circle areA.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:26 PM

71 posts, read 113,593 times
Not all parts of Signal Hill are safe. Once you go west of Cherry or closer to PCH it can get very tricky.

With a budget of 1k, I think your best bet is the traffic circle area.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:22 PM

71 posts, read 111,773 times
Sucks ass state law had to abolish redevelopment.. Signal hill have no problem drawing investors but they can't move forward with any projects because...? Would love to learn from any of you seasoned CDers on this law I have no clue about and why cities such as long beach were able to overcome such hurdles and still get projects going.. Signal hill is indeed scenic and could rival rancho palos verdes but on a mini scale..

Old 08-19-2015, 09:50 PM

71 posts, read 111,773 times
You should look for a studio, if not, a 1 bdr apt in bixby knolls or adjacent California heights.. Most houses in CH are built about 3 feet above the ground due to the area being prone to floods.. So you'll notice most homes have lawns with a stairway.. I personally like the look of the architectural forms of these homes in CH more than in BK.. The front lawns in BK are unnecessarily BIG..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles