Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:13 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,177,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
If it were a climate like Honolulu's then quite possibly yes since Honolulu does not get much more rain the LA, has very tolerable humidity for the tropics and gets as much or more sun than LA. The downside is we'd lose snowfall in the mountains (elevation is hot high enough).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honolulu#Climate

A decent alternative would be the climate of Medellin, Colombia: at 5,000 feet above sea level in the tropics the climate is near perfect: average daily high is 81 and average daily low 62, all year round. Even the wealthy in Medellin don't have air conditioning, it is not needed. The only downside to the climate is lots of rain and not as much sun as LA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medell...hy_and_climate
I'd actually like more rain but I don't want to sacrifice warmth and sunshine for it; that's why tropical rain is better; a brief heavy 30 minute rain shower at 80 degrees followed by full sunshine when the rain is done. I also like balmy nights rather than large diurnal ranges; that's why last summer's weather was perfect; Highs in the 80s, lows around 70 with several episodes of warm rain rather than the usual cold nights and completely rainlessness for 6 months.

I know many of my fellow Angelenos dislike humidity though so how about this compromise (where no heat nor AC is ever needed and there is still a drying trend in summer)?

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 12-29-2015 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 11:16 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,014,547 times
Extreme storm in the North Atlantic: At the North Pole, it is as warm as in southern California

Sturm im Nordatlantik: Nordpol so warm wie Südkalifornien - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Old 12-29-2015, 11:39 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I'd actually like more rain but I don't want to sacrifice warmth and sunshine for it; that's why tropical rain is better; a brief heavy 30 minute rain shower at 80 degrees followed by full sunshine when the rain is done. I also like balmy nights rather than large diurnal ranges; that's why last summer's weather was perfect; Highs in the 80s, lows around 70 with several episodes of warm rain rather than the usual cold nights and completely rainlessness for 6 months.

I know many of my fellow Angelenos dislike humidity though so how about this compromise (where no heat nor AC is ever needed and there is still a drying trend in summer)?

Yes, I'd take that San Diego/Honolulu hybrid climate in a heartbeat.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:47 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,763,483 times
Quote:
Loved the humidity last summer; the handsome warm rain and balmy nights.
Give me 80 degrees with lots of sun with some big puffy clouds and a brief afternoon rain shower, followed by more sun.
None of this 50 degree cold overcast drizzle sunless crap.
I hate it that in California, we have to sacrifice warmth to get rain.
We need water to survive and we all take warm showers and not cold ones.
No rain is bad but when it rains, it's usually cooler than normal here.
Anything less than 60 is too cold.
75-90 is the ideal temperature range for humans.
A good combo of high rain and high sun and warmth is ideal for humans.
If you could snap your fingers and transform Southern California into a tropical Hawaii-like climate with warm ocean water year round (with the benefits of being on the mainland), would you do it?
No. I loved the anomalous summer we had, but it had to come to an end and I'm glad it did.

You should appreciate California's unique and wonderful Mediterranean climate, or theres always Florida.

Also, high rain and warmth also leads to disease, and while I love the heat, optimal temperature range for humans is more like 70-80 degrees. Tropical Climes are nice once in a while, but on Earth they're a dime a dozen. Med Climates are much more interesting, IMO.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:50 AM

699 posts, read 611,551 times
Miami has been so far everyday in the 80s/70s. Our coldest temperature this December has been 64F. Our beaches are packed (SST are upper 70s, low 80s depending on the beach measured). It feels like a SoCal summer here in December in Miami

Old 12-29-2015, 11:50 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Make me appreciate the two weeks I've just spent in Hawaii. Brrrrr!

Old 12-29-2015, 11:57 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,763,483 times
Actually, if I could alter SoCal's climate at all, I would keep the cool, rainy winters as the bulk of our precip, but add the occasional (2-3x per week) t-storm from June-September. Warm nights in the summer, with 80-85 highs every day. Our "dry" season would just be a couple months in late spring and a couple months in autumn. I know some people love it but I would completely ditch June Gloom and May Gray for the occasional cool cloudy day.

That would honestly be perfect for me and we could stay green year round without adding to much precip. On average we would have about 15-20 inches of rain between October and April, then during summer another 5-10 inches. More fog too! I haven't seen as much fog in recent years as I used to.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Old 12-29-2015, 12:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
nyc bums can take shelter in the subway stations and trains that run 24/7
They do. Still each winter they do find homeless people who have frozen to death. When it gets very cold the cops make homeless people go to shelters or mental hospitals or arrest them. Still they find where some fell asleep in the ally and froze.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:04 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,304,518 times
Quote:
Anything less than 60 is too cold.
75-90 is the ideal temperature range for humans.
Not for this human! I prefer a range from 20 to 70 with 55 being my ideal temperature. Anything above 75 I feel is too hot. If its over 80 I prefer to stay inside with the air conditioning on full blast until the sun goes down.

Quote:
None of this 50 degree cold overcast drizzle sunless crap.
I hate it that in California, we have to sacrifice warmth to get rain.
I love that kind of weather. Its great for an 8 mile run!

Quote:
If you could snap your fingers and transform Southern California into a tropical Hawaii-like climate with warm ocean water year round (with the benefits of being on the mainland), would you do it?
That would turn Socal into SoHell.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:12 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Miami has been so far everyday in the 80s/70s. Our coldest temperature this December has been 64F. Our beaches are packed (SST are upper 70s, low 80s depending on the beach measured). It feels like a SoCal summer here in December in Miami
I will take this cold weather over any kind of Florida weather at any time any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles