Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:32 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Well can't argue with that argument seeing as its coming straight from the source.
I will leave that up to other forum members to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 01:38 PM

1,544 posts, read 925,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Large numbers of them would be in South Bay, the Westside, south and west Valley, Antelope Valley, Hollywood, and eastern portions of Long Beach.
Adding to that, they're slowly but surely trickling their way back into South Central.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Okay, 99.7% of the social problems/solutions. I didn't realize I had to be exact.
Why does there have to be a problem or solution involving race? I see, nor hear complaints about people that are non-minorities; most segments of society that seemed to be complained about (in relation to Los Angeles) are minorities, immigrants, or illegal immigrants.

Do we have threads on the LA forum created by minorities that complain about non-immigrant Whites?

Part of the problem is that middle America has a concept of Los Angeles that resembles Baywatch. That hasn't been the case in my lifetime, I think the shock for them is that most Angelenos have dark hair and tans. Hence the "where's Whitey?" (no pun intended) threads.

Some take the victim stance about it, and it frankly makes no sense. A city like Los Angeles is destined to be cosmopolitan, not like how nostalgia tells us it should be.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:51 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
This is pretty crazy to see, pretty sad..

#ProWhites attempt free speech with Billboard in Arkansas

Old 08-11-2016, 03:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Historically speaking you are correct. However, in terms of a large population base, the City of Los Angeles was little more than a tiny pueblo of barely 1,600 people in 1848 when California became part of the United States.

Los Angeles remained a tiny cow town until the late 1800's when Los Angeles became connected to the rest of the county via the railroad. The large population boom of the late 1800's and early 1900's was mostly whites (non-Hispanic) from the east and mid-west. Yes, there were waves of Mexican immigrants in the early 1900's as well which continued to punctuate the region's Hispanic identity. In a general sense, circa 1920 to about 1960 or so LA was a white majority city with significant pockets of Latinos, Blacks and Asians.
My family came to socal in the late 1800/early 1900, era. They came as connected family, and settled in Wilmington, San Pedro, and Long Beach. Younger members left Missouri along the way and joined them.

Mom said they used to call San Pedro 'little Iowa' since so many people from there left and moved in where their friends lived so they were all comfortable. Even into the sixties, most of that part of the family lived in that general area. It wasn't until the great grandkids that they drifted, but most still live in LA.

My ggrandfather worked for the Union Pacific. Employees had free travel passes. At first he rode out and went back to Iowa. But after a short while he and his family moved to Long Beach. My ggrandmother, with a pass as family, kept the house in Iowa so she could decide that she wanted to 'go home' whenever it appealed to her, (and did). Eventually he talked her into moving back, and they sold the old homestead. But they had a house in San Francisco too, and she started commuting as will there.

My grandfather got involved in movies with the opening of the first western set in Santa Monica canyon. He worked in movies all his life, but started out keeping track of scripts for the first westerns. He and Grandmother settled in North Hollywood when it was still rural. She stayed for decades, but apartments were replacing the houses when she moved to San Pedro, which was still a bubble of little midwest.

People as they moved away for better spaces, no matter what they came from, liked being near people who got them. Little Iowa was comfortable is you came from there. Eventually it broke up, but then it took a long time. It's no wonder that people still move to places they find other people close enough to themselves.

I reversed the migration by leaving socal and moving to Oklahoma. Why? Not so many people and smaller houses I could afford, and a place everyone isn't in a huge hurry....

Old 08-11-2016, 03:28 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
southern california is very expensive, so many people who don't have the financial means to live somewhere that is safe and has decent schools for their kids end up moving out. many of these people who have moved are white. this creates a vacuum in many areas that is filled in with lower income minorities/immigrants who don't place safety and school quality at the same level as more traditional americans. outside of the san gabriel valley (which is dominated by chinese and other asians), if you show me a city/neighborhood that is safe and has good schools, you will see plenty of white people.
In most cases, the vacuum is filled by Asians and other well educated people of color. The only places where Latinos replaced whites were the most hard scrabble blue collar hoods. Mostly, Latinos are replacing Blacks.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:33 PM

214 posts, read 214,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My family came to socal in the late 1800/early 1900, era. They came as connected family, and settled in Wilmington, San Pedro, and Long Beach. Younger members left Missouri along the way and joined them.

Mom said they used to call San Pedro 'little Iowa' since so many people from there left and moved in where their friends lived so they were all comfortable. Even into the sixties, most of that part of the family lived in that general area. It wasn't until the great grandkids that they drifted, but most still live in LA.

My ggrandfather worked for the Union Pacific. Employees had free travel passes. At first he rode out and went back to Iowa. But after a short while he and his family moved to Long Beach. My ggrandmother, with a pass as family, kept the house in Iowa so she could decide that she wanted to 'go home' whenever it appealed to her, (and did). Eventually he talked her into moving back, and they sold the old homestead. But they had a house in San Francisco too, and she started commuting as will there.

My grandfather got involved in movies with the opening of the first western set in Santa Monica canyon. He worked in movies all his life, but started out keeping track of scripts for the first westerns. He and Grandmother settled in North Hollywood when it was still rural. She stayed for decades, but apartments were replacing the houses when she moved to San Pedro, which was still a bubble of little midwest.

People as they moved away for better spaces, no matter what they came from, liked being near people who got them. Little Iowa was comfortable is you came from there. Eventually it broke up, but then it took a long time. It's no wonder that people still move to places they find other people close enough to themselves.

I reversed the migration by leaving socal and moving to Oklahoma. Why? Not so many people and smaller houses I could afford, and a place everyone isn't in a huge hurry....
I had relatives that came to LA from Iowa in the early 1900's as well. They ended up in the West Adams area and then moved up to La Crescenta a few generations later.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:52 PM

977 posts, read 1,011,771 times
I wonder what celeberties/ ultra wealthy think when they go to Santa Monica (or somewhere similar, if they do), and see all the "diversity".

Whites also have really low birth rates so maybe natural decreas?

How is the inland empire and it's white demographics?

Persians are white to me. Like southern Italians.

Last edited by Seattle4321; 08-11-2016 at 05:58 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 05:27 PM

214 posts, read 214,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
I wonder what celeberties/ ultra wealthy think when they go to Santa Monica (or somewhere similar, if they do), and see all the "diversity".

Hot and beige.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:27 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post

I'm pretty sure the athletes and actors/actresses are pretty ok with diversity when they visit Santa Monica, since they're in pretty diverse industries. According to this list, 30% of the 10 wealthiest Angelenos are Asian, so they're probably fine with diversity too.

Top 10 List: These Are The Richest People in L.A.: LAist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles