Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 01:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyuna View Post
True, I don't know why they used Burbank as an example anyway. You might as well be in middle America if you live in Burbank. All of LA's attractions are hours away due to traffic, and you have to deal with the Valley weather.
Not true. Burbank is one of the nicest places to live in the LA area. You will find few other topics that are as overwhelmingly held as consensus on this C-D subforum. Unless one works on the west side it is more conveniently located to LA's attractions than Santa Monica or Brentwood. (Although SM has nicer weather...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 02:07 PM

72 posts, read 84,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Not true. Burbank is one of the nicest places to live in the LA area. You will find few other topics that are as overwhelmingly held as consensus on this C-D subforum. Unless one works on the west side it is more conveniently located to LA's attractions than Santa Monica or Brentwood. (Although SM has nicer weather...)
Burbank is safe and clean but I don't think it fits the OP's definition of a great place to live. They stressed the importance of having top quality attractions at your fingertips (theater, Parks, Concerts, etc) and Burbank is basically like the downtown area of a small college town. Its cute, but hardly a place that you would travel to see. I'm sure there are plenty of Burbanks in middle America.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Burbank is safe and clean but I don't think it fits the OP's definition of a great place to live. They stressed the importance of having top quality attractions at your fingertips (theater, Parks, Concerts, etc) and Burbank is basically like the downtown area of a small college town. Its cute, but hardly a place that you would travel to see. I'm sure there are plenty of Burbanks in middle America.
Burbank is more convenient to Hollywood, Silver Lake, and Downtown than the westside is, even Culver City....

Old 08-22-2016, 02:25 PM

266 posts, read 271,941 times
Burbank does have a Great Cruise Night at Bob's Big Boy every Friday :-)

Old 08-22-2016, 02:58 PM

214 posts, read 214,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Burbank is more convenient to Hollywood, Silver Lake, and Downtown than the westside is, even Culver City....
And Universal Studios.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:00 PM

Ok. So the article agrees that 200k a year is NOT middle class and more like top 5-10%.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:45 PM

132 posts, read 132,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
Ok. So the article agrees that 200k a year is NOT middle class and more like top 5-10%.
Depends on where you live, NY and here it's upper middle class, not rich like most who live here think.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:22 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
Quote:
Cause that's the reality for most middle-lower class Angelinans. The people who actually get to enjoy the perks of living in LA are the ones that can afford to pay $2k just for a studio apartment.
Ridiculous. You can even find studios for less than that in crime filled, roach infested towns like Studio City or Beverly Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why do you need a 4 bedroom house if it's just you, your wife, and one child?

At 48 I doubt you're expecting any more kids.
Good Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

So everyone is living in a roach infested crap shack? Unless they pay $2K for a studio.

I must tell my cousin's son, he pays $1,700 a month total for a nice two bed/two bath in Burbank. And no he hasn't been living there for years and years.
You went on the high end. Someone just told me they were paying $1400 for a 2 bedroom Burbank Apartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
I said 3 OR 4 bedroom, spouse will work when kid starts school full time in two years; it's on me till then.

My definition of living well in Los Angeles is owning your own house in a good area that you CAN actually afford monthly with above average schools if you have kids, and no more than a 20 minute commute to work.
Dude, what you described is an upper class lifestyle. That's beyond living well. And if you need more cash , then put the wife to work NOW!. Allowing her to stay home is a personal choice.

Quote:
True, I don't know why they used Burbank as an example anyway. You might as well be in middle America if you live in Burbank. All of LA's attractions are hours away due to traffic, and you have to deal with the Valley weather.
This comment here means you're now creating things to fit you own argument and can no longer be taken seriously. Burbank is Middle America huh? Universal Studios is literally next door; it houses both Warner Brothers and Disney Studios, tons of places to eat and shop, about 6-7 miles from Hollywood.....you have a warped idea on what Middle America really is. Maybe it is time for you to go. Go enjoy that big house somewhere in the woods.

And BTW, what was wrong with that apartment I saw in the pics? For those complaining about space, you need to go check out NYC where 500K gets you about 1000 square feet and you could possibly be parking somewhere down the street. And I'm not talking Manhatten.

Last edited by jacktravern; 08-22-2016 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Spelling errors

Old 08-22-2016, 04:31 PM

264 posts, read 250,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
OP, the medical field is a well compensated field. Why do you say you will never be able to buy a condo, at least? A registered nurse makes $30/hr and a nurse practitioner makes 100k. Eh, even if you can't buy the condo by yourself, you can at least have a really nice room in a nice shared apartment.
Most people who have lived on their own consider "a really nice room in a nice shared apartment" to be a significant downgrade.

Quote:
Sure, you can move to a flyover state, and the single family home will be cheap. But there's nothing to do except stay in your cheap single family home.
Not everything outside of the West Coast is flyover state. There are plenty of desirable places to live with a lower cost of living that still have plenty of things to do other than stay inside.

Quote:
In Los Angeles, you have parks and libraries and movie theaters and museums right outside your door. You're in one of the world's Great Cities, where things happen.
He already said he wants to leave LA. Why are you trying to change his mind??

You should try to get out of CA once in a while to understand the appeal of different parts of the country so you don't come across as so oblivious. (BTW this is in response to your posts overall that seem to dismiss the entire rest of the country.)

Last edited by Liz_7; 08-22-2016 at 04:48 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
Depends on where you live, NY and here it's upper middle class, not rich like most who live here think.
Yes, 200k would be in the top end of the range of upper middle class. However, upper middle class is not the same as middle class.

Sociologists Dennis Gilbert, Willam Thompson and Joseph Hickey estimate the upper middle class to constitute roughly 15% of the population.

Typical professions for this class include lawyers, physicians, psychologists, certified public accountants, pharmacists, optometrists, stockbrokers, dentists, engineers, professors, architects, school principals, urban planners, civil service executives and civilian contractors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_middle_class

I'm not sure what you mean by rich as that is not a defined term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles