Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
That pretty much sums up what's going on in SM at the moment. It's insane. And to know that 30% of the homeless ain't even from California - it tells you that they set their eyes on SM to target the well to do there. It should be illegal to have these useless people be human trash in Santa Monica. But this won't affect property value.
We have had several homeless advocate types that don't live in the L.A area come on here and tell us this isn't the case. That most of the homeless are natives to the area and were pushed to the streets due to high housing costs.

We know this is a big fat lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 01:25 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Since California loves homeless and illegals, I hope more continue moving there

Old 05-19-2017, 05:07 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
We have had several homeless advocate types that don't live in the L.A area come on here and tell us this isn't the case. That most of the homeless are natives to the area and were pushed to the streets due to high housing costs.

We know this is a big fat lie.
Some of the homeless advocates used to be homeless themselves, so they are biased for the homeless and generalize them all as sweet people who worked hard and lost everything, so therefore, we should treat them all with tenderness and open hearts. I'm empathetic to some of the homeless, but quite a few if not the majority of them are the kind of people who don't want to follow rules of society and be responsible for themselves. So they congregate in a wealthy area that is full of tourist and become a nuisance and eyesore.

I'm from Michigan and if in an alternate reality I was irresponsible with my life and became homeless and didn't really want to be a responsible adult, I would hightail it to the blue skies of CA too and hang out where the money is. The homeless are not stupid, just reckless with their own lives and irresponsible.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:47 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Some of the homeless advocates used to be homeless themselves, so they are biased for the homeless and generalize them all as sweet people who worked hard and lost everything, so therefore, we should treat them all with tenderness and open hearts. I'm empathetic to some of the homeless, but quite a few if not the majority of them are the kind of people who don't want to follow rules of society and be responsible for themselves. So they congregate in a wealthy area that is full of tourist and become a nuisance and eyesore.

I'm from Michigan and if in an alternate reality I was irresponsible with my life and became homeless and didn't really want to be a responsible adult, I would hightail it to the blue skies of CA too and hang out where the money is. The homeless are not stupid, just reckless with their own lives and irresponsible.
No doubt our "tolerant " environment contributes to more homeless here .
Why should the non homeless have to tolerate the crazy and sometimes violent homeless

Old 05-19-2017, 05:49 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Since California loves homeless and illegals, I hope more continue moving there
Where do you live, wiseguy?

Old 05-19-2017, 05:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:

How do you know how people ended up the street? You think everyone who is in this situation chooses to be, or made bad choices? None of them got laid off?

From your own posts you moved out here with very little savings, and didn't even have a solid job lined up. Those are people who end up sleeping in their cars.

You ended up getting one with an awful commute. You were lucky you found work, but that could change.

If you lost the job? Now what? You moved out here with about enough savings to last about 6 weeks, not too smart.

Better put down your rocks, because there are many people who live paycheck to paycheck, you're a prime example, and seeing how you have no family out here, you would be faced with heading back to Michigan or the street.

And why do you care about property values in Santa Monica, you're not going to be buying there unless you hit the lottery.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And you will end up back in Michigan.

How do you know how people ended up the street? You think everyone who is in this situation chooses to be, or made bad choices? None of them got laid off?

From your own posts you moved out here with very little savings, and didn't even have a solid job lined up.

You ended up getting one with an awful commute. You were lucky you found work, but that could change.

If you lost the job? Now what? You moved out here with about enough savings to last about 6 weeks, not too smart.

Better put down your rocks, because there are many people who live paycheck to paycheck, you're a prime example, and seeing how you have no family out here, you would be faced with heading back to Michigan or the street.

And why do you care about property values in Santa Monica, you're not going to buying there unless you hit the lottery.
99% of people who live on the street are doing so because they choose to do so. I believe you're conflating people who live in a vehicle because they've fallen on hard times with people who roam the streets and sleep in alcoves etc. We are discussing the latter. They are creepy people who choose to live a life uninvested in any community, which enables them to engage in their anti-social antics without consequences.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
99% of people who live on the street are doing so because they choose to do so. I believe you're conflating people who live in a vehicle because they've fallen on hard times with people who roam the streets and sleep in alcoves etc. We are discussing the latter. They are creepy people who choose to live a life uninvested in any community, which enables them to engage in their anti-social antics without consequences.
99%, doubtful. While I agree there are some who put themselves on the path to being homeless, it's not all of them.

All it takes is someone who has little to no savings to get laid off, can't keep up with rent, and if they have no friends or family willing to take them in, there they go. Many today never heard the term "rainy day fund", they say they can't save while they go to Starbucks 5 days a week. Or have to have the $500 smart phone. Get laid off....and have no backup plan.

And if they have a car with a car note, that will go to, once the repo people find out where it is.

Someone from Michigan should keep that in mind, instead of being so full of herself, she has been pretty chatty about how she moved here with little savings and only a temp job.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Where do you live, wiseguy?
I live on the Isle of Wiseguys, but I didn't mean to offend. It's a win/win... LA can continue saying it will protect and defend illegals and homeless crack heads and hopefully the word will continue to spread across the country, so more of these types will continue coming into LA and other Californian cities. The rest of the country will see lower populations of illegals and crack heads and LA and California in general will get to cuddle them to prosperity. It's a win / win!

Old 05-20-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
99%, doubtful. While I agree there are some who put themselves on the path to being homeless, it's not all of them.

All it takes is someone who has little to no savings to get laid off, can't keep up with rent, and if they have no friends or family willing to take them in, there they go. Many today never heard the term "rainy day fund", they say they can't save while they go to Starbucks 5 days a week. Or have to have the $500 smart phone. Get laid off....and have no backup plan.

And if they have a car with a car note, that will go to, once the repo people find out where it is.

Someone from Michigan should keep that in mind, instead of being so full of herself, she has been pretty chatty about how she moved here with little savings and only a temp job.
Are you aware that there are programs to get people off the streets, and there are social workers whose job it is to talk to homeless people and make them aware of such programs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles