Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 11:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You could not have those policies like Vancouver, Melbourne, and Washington, DC have without getting rid of Prop 13, which is a separate issue. Certainly 13 makes California more attractive to foreign investors as well as to immigrants. At least, however, you do acknowledge that higher property taxes drive prices down, something that many here deny.

I get the feeling reading your posts that you'd want changes not just on a state and local level but on a national level that would not be possible unless someone like Bernie Sanders was president, and certainly would not be possible under the current POTUS especially with his career background before running for office.
Does it really matter how your housing dollar is divided?

Some insist cost of housing will drop with higher property taxes and why wouldn't it.

So my mortgage drops and my taxes go up... how exactly is that better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 12:48 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,262,509 times
Quote:
You could not have those policies like Vancouver, Melbourne, and Washington, DC have without getting rid of Prop 13, which is a separate issue. Certainly 13 makes California more attractive to foreign investors as well as to immigrants. At least, however, you do acknowledge that higher property taxes drive prices down, something that many here deny.

I get the feeling reading your posts that you'd want changes not just on a state and local level but on a national level that would not be possible unless someone like Bernie Sanders was president, and certainly would not be possible under the current POTUS especially with his career background before running for office.
I think Trump would be for a national property purchase tax on foreign investors. It would be in line with his stances on helping the middle class and protecting American interests. While as a businessman he is a capitalist, politically he is a populist. He did make the point during the election cycle that even though he buys Chinese steel for his businesses, he only does so to improve profits. He realizes it's not the best for the country that he be allowed to purchase foreign steel without tariffs and that he wouldn't object to having to pay more for steel if the price increase resulted in a net benefit for American steel producers.

I'd have to read up on the details of prop 13, but I am definitely for Vancouver-style policies. However, that's not going far enough; we need a Land Value Tax to reduce property profiteering, which is a form of rentierism. When I get around to it I'm planning on creating a thread on the LVT. In the meantime, thx for the tip on the potential Prop13 issues. I will look into it.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Does it really matter how your housing dollar is divided?

Some insist cost of housing will drop with higher property taxes and why wouldn't it.

So my mortgage drops and my taxes go up... how exactly is that better?
I believe the tax being referred to is a potential new tax on foreign property investors that would not be applied retroactively; not sure if it would apply to you.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It won't stop until they arouse the anger of many which they know is all too predictable. They'll slowly arouse the ire that Rudyard Kipling described in, "When the Saxon Began to Hate."

Pity. This won't take the country anywhere good. All people must be able to expect fair treatment.
And reasonable housing costs in line with wages, which was the case in this country throughout the vast majority of the 20th century.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:57 AM

And to all of the vocal pro-gentrification people in this thread, you do realize you can be a Conservative without being a raging capitalist, yes?

The American Dream of yore never involved a white picket-fenced house that costs $2 million (or whatever the equivalent would have been back in 1964).

Question: to what extent does your support of Gentrification exemplify the notion of "America First?"

Last edited by GSR13; 08-06-2017 at 02:26 AM..

Old 08-06-2017, 01:09 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
I think Trump would be for a national property purchase tax on foreign investors. It would be in line with his stances on helping the middle class and protecting American interests. While as a businessman he is a capitalist, politically he is a populist. He did make the point during the election cycle that even though he buys Chinese steel for his businesses, he only does so to improve profits. He realizes it's not the best for the country that he be allowed to purchase foreign steel without tariffs and that he wouldn't object to having to pay more for steel if the price increase resulted in a net benefit for American steel producers.

I'd have to read up on the details of prop 13, but I am definitely for Vancouver-style policies. However, that's not going far enough; we need a Land Value Tax to reduce property profiteering, which is a form of rentierism. When I get around to it I'm planning on creating a thread on the LVT. In the meantime, thx for the tip on the potential Prop13 issues. I will look into it.
Given that the Trump Organization makes huge amounts of money from selling expensive real estate to foreigners, and that he has not divested it, thinking that he would somehow support higher property taxes for foreigners is absurd. He's not going to stab his own business and his own family in the back.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Given that the Trump Organization makes huge amounts of money from selling expensive real estate to foreigners, and that he has not divested it, thinking that he would somehow support higher property taxes for foreigners is absurd. He's not going to stab his own business and his own family in the back.
Ok but if he's such a money-worshipper, why is he only taking a $1 salary as President? He's taken enormous risks to run and win the election, including his own life. He had no incentive to run other than to help the country, and there are many stories of him being very generous to complete strangers who've found themselves in need. He was willing to risk it all, so yes he'd implement policy that would help the country at his own personal expense. Otherwise he'd be out of politics and focusing on making more cash for his business, or at least be taking a salary in his role as President.

Believe it or not, Trump is less of an a-hole than you think.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:25 AM

Again, Trump is constantly proposing tariffs on Chinese steel despite his business benefiting from the lack of said tariff. How would a tax on foreign property investors be any different?

Old 08-06-2017, 07:59 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Prop 13 provides predictability in Property Taxes.

Basically, each sale stands on its own... irregardless of what happens to neighboring property.

Base value is Fair Market at time of transfer with an annual 2% inflation cap.

New Taxes require voter approval and 55% voter approval is needed to build a new school and 2/3 for other taxes.

Some say that property always goes up... well, at least in my city of Oakland CA... the Real Estate meltdown saw almost 20 years of appreciation wiped out 2009-2012...

Old 08-06-2017, 03:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Again, Trump is constantly proposing tariffs on Chinese steel despite his business benefiting from the lack of said tariff. How would a tax on foreign property investors be any different?
Congress won't pass much a tax. A number of middle class jobs in states like Tennessee is because of foreign companies that moved major operations to these places. The only reason LA and NYC are t ghetto hellholes is due to foreign investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles