Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:59 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,091,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426HemiCA View Post
I've spent a lot of time in Fla including Tampa, I like many parts of it especially the Ocala area, but I will take my little spot on the Strand in Manhattan Beach over it anyday. At least the ocean isn't mean to us like the Gulf or Atlantic Ocen in the Southeastern coastal areas.
At least I can swim in the ocean most of the year without a wet suit in Florida. That pacific coast water temp is freezing. Each to their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 01:01 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
I think I speak for everyone here when I say nobody cares about Tampa.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:36 PM

266 posts, read 271,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
At least I can swim in the ocean most of the year without a wet suit in Florida. That pacific coast water temp is freezing. Each to their own.
Good Point, but as a Surfer at least I have waves to play on, not the large lake like conditions of the Gulf. I do like visiting Flagler Beach for some decent warm water surfing.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 719 times
My husband and I recently moved from Tampa to Sacramento in March 2016 and we are potentially moving to LA in the next few months for work. I still travel back and forth to Tampa on business so am tied to both areas and can speak to my experiences. I think you have to determine your priorities and evaluate what you can live with. My two cents (for what it's worth):
- Traffic is bad in Tampa, but not as bad as LA. And at least when the snowbirds leave Tampa in the spring, the traffic eases up whereas I've heard LA is consistently bad. In Tampa's busy season, it would take me 30 minutes or so to get to downtown Tampa or an hour to get to St. Pete during rush hour, and the commute was shorter in the off season. I think that's probably nothing compared to LA traffic.
- Adjusting to the California rental market is quite painful. We moved from a 4 bedroom with a pool in Riverview for $1450/month to a tiny two bed apartment in a complex for $2100/month in Sacramento, and LA is going to be significantly more for the same size apartment we now have in Sac. (Also, we found a house we liked in LA, called the agent, and were told that the rent was "starting" at $2400 but we should make a competitive bid for rent that was above the minimum as the house would be on the market for showings for the next two weeks, after which the owners would go with the highest bid. It was almost as if we were buying a house. I don't know if it's typical for LA, likely not, but gives you a sense of the market.)
- COL (other than rent): I find the grocery stores in the area to be reasonably priced, whereas my Publix shopping in Tampa was a bit costlier. Gas is obviously more expensive here, although my car insurance costs less than in Tampa.
- Weather: I found the Tampa weather to be oppressive most of the time, and realized it was not for me. I prefer the dry climate in California. Id' love to live near Hermosa Beach where the sea breeze feels great and I'm told air conditioners are not needed very often, but the rental rates will force us further inland where it's a different climate, no sea breeze. Again, depends on what you can live with.
Bottom line: my husband says he would move back to Tampa in a heartbeat because of the cheaper rent and COL, plus he loves the climate, whereas I prefer having access to more shopping and entertainment options in California and I prefer the drier climate. (Also, I prefer the people in California as they seem friendlier in general. However, I will admit to having felt out of place in LA because I need to lose a few lbs. Maybe that was in my head but it could just as well be some of the LA attitude, who knows.)

Not sure if that was helpful. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2017, 09:19 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,091,911 times
Quote:
Good Point, but as a Surfer at least I have waves to play on, not the large lake like conditions of the Gulf. I do like visiting Flagler Beach for some decent warm water surfing.
If I want to surf there is another ocean 1 hour and 30 minutes away. We have two oceans not one. Your ocean is nice to view and surf in, swim not so much. I actually like to get in and relax.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:55 PM

9 posts, read 9,287 times
Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all of your advice! After weeks of contemplating, We decided that we are going to make the move to LA! I put my job notice in on Friday and we just spent the weekend in Glendale and got approved for an amazing apartment! My fiancé’s job starts mid November and we have some money saved up for the move.... Oh yeah, did I mention... I have 4 job interviews! I’m hoping to earn an offer of at least $55k+ Cross your fingers for me!! We are so excited for the move!

Old 10-24-2017, 04:49 AM

9 posts, read 9,287 times
Thank you so much for taking the time with providing me your Experience and opinion. This really helped me lots!!! It’s great to know someone else has been thru a similar experience im going to go thru!

Old 10-24-2017, 07:25 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Flagler Beach is nice and so is the little town. The East Coast, mid State has great surfing spots and nice warm water. I Grew up at Newport Beach and hated the cold water.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:47 PM

30 posts, read 31,237 times
The situation you described regarding bidding on the rental is not typical in SoCal, but the rental market here is tough and it often takes several applications to get accepted on one (especially if you have pets).

Old 10-25-2017, 04:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Let's be honest, you couldn't make it in LA. Sad that you wish ill will on other Amercians.

But you're from Germany originally, not known for caring about other people.

somehow I missed this quip

actually, I was a Soldier in Germany - so not "from Germany" ... "Not caring" Germans - is that some sort of Nazi joke? Never heard that broad generalization about Germans. That's like saying all Los Angelians are vain I guess....not true, right?

"wishing ill" isn't what bringing up the earthquake risk is all about....did you post the same when someone posted about the hurricane risk here in FLA? it's something needs to think about when making a move.....you're wrong in pretty much your entire post, aren't you?

Last edited by BucFan; 10-25-2017 at 05:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles