Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 05:47 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
They want to be left alone ? That’s funny since when us L.A residents are out in public it’s typically the homeless that aren’t leaving us alone .
Panhandling , littering the streets with trash , shouting obscenities or making threats or increasingly according to LAPD violent crime .

Maybe the situation is different where you live , about 6 hours away
Yes, they want to be left alone, they aren't asking for your help. I never said they aren't leaving you alone, clearly they aren't. Having people camp on public sidewalks is a huge problem in LA, just as it is "6 hours away". But for the most part the homeless aren't asking for housing, and a fair number of them refuse shelter when it's offered. But in order to get them off the street the City has to be able to offer them a place to sleep so that when they refuse it they can be arrested if they persist in pitching their tents or sleeping in doorways.

It looks like San Diego has gotten the message, they are trying to erect an adequate number of tents to create enough shelter space that they can legally refuse to allow people to sleep on the streets. Houston solved much of their homeless problem the same way, by creating a bunch of shelter beds and then cracking down on the homeless who refuse to stay in it. It's worked there and it will work in LA or San Francisco, or Sacramento or anywhere else, but the City has to have the will to do it. So far very few California Cities have done much of anything except engage in a lot of hand wringing, complaining and tossing grant money at unvetted 'non-profit' organizations that don't do $hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 05:56 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"How could she keep Lulu if she didn’t have a home? She spoke again about wanting to end her life. I told her she made the right decision to see a doctor, that we could get her help.

Women alone and over 50 are one of the largest homeless populations in the city, and their numbers are growing. What are the support systems for someone who abruptly finds herself destitute? Sylvie had lived in L.A. most of her adult life; if she’d stayed in her native France, I can’t imagine she would have found herself in this position.

...the backdrop of a horrific housing crisis in L.A....could take any one of us down quickly. Life here is becoming untenable. I love this city, but I don’t know how much longer I can afford to stay."

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...219-story.html
That is really sad but becoming all too common. I've encountered several homeless women here and there is no place for them to stay. The women's shelter here has a waiting list of 500. A few months ago an older woman died in her wheelchair after sleeping in it for several nights while waiting for a spot in a shelter.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:24 PM

138 posts, read 118,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Why doesn't she move to the other 98% of the country that is cheap? And/or enroll in additional training to increase our employment opportunities?

"She and her partner split, he moved out, taking a large sum of her money with him." I'd like to read his side of the story.

"She was unable to pay rent for three months" What happened to her six month emergency fund that every financial planner or person with common sense recommends we all have? And who is the victim here? This woman or the landlord who didn't get paid?

"What are the support systems for someone who abruptly finds herself destitute?" They are called responsibility, planning, saving, not buying Starbucks every day, bringing your lunch to work, living within your means.

"horrific housing crisis in L.A." Crisis? What Crisis? There's no crisis. Price is a function of supply and demand. It's a perfect equilibrium. Just because people can't afford to live in the beach or Beverly Hills, is that a crisis?

Old 02-19-2019, 07:30 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
Terrorists with criminal lifestyles driven by mental illness and drug dependency.... Terrorists that our supposedly elected officials and other vagrant wranglers want us to supply with our livelihoods, quality of life and personal belongings whenever they want to take them.
Terrorists, and the elected officials and other vagrant wranglers want us to pay for housing and caring for them 100% while they destroy everything around their locations- no accountability, no re-education, no boundaries, or supervision- let the tax money flow and let the vagrant wranglers make bank on their their cash cows..drugged out slaves really with crime and vagrancy as a way of life imposed on them to make a few folks lots of money. The vagrants need to be off the streets into secured, supervised facilities now...why do the libs want them out in the cold, suffering so badly? The oldest answer is correct- money.

Whats the point in time count for: to establish territorial boundaries for the money grab-- its been going on for years and the situation has only gotten more inhumane and dangerous....the amount of money stolen has skyrocketed along with the human misery,

Why won't the vagrant wranglers disclose exactly where the money is going? Don''t they know ? Should be very easy to let us all know - why no transparency?
Well stated!

Old 02-19-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Ok, I will as soon as you quit coming at me with nonsense like this:

You continually claim that because I remind pointy headed people here that you can't just round the homeless up, put them in camps or turn fire hoses on them that makes me some kind of bleeding heart SJW and it's not true. Attorneys represent people they abhor, but they do it because they believe in the law. Because I think a murderer has a right to a fair trial doesn't mean that I sympathize with killers, I'm not sure why you can't embrace that simple logic.

You on the other hand, high five people who talk about using extrajudicial and unconstitutional means to deal with the homeless, so applying your logic to yourself; your association with those pointy heads means that you support those actions.

See how that works sweetheart?
"Unconstitutional" is a subjective term -- just look at some of the nonsense that comes from the ACLU et al and is upheld by the 9th circuit court. And what about the Constitutional rights of the non-homeless?

Old 02-19-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Except those of us, you refer to as “denying what you state” include fellow Angelinos.

To say nothing of the fact that “us” you refer to provide verifiable, credible, professional research links while “you” provide anonymous anecdotal opinions.

Pretty weak stuff you peddle, bub.
Survey says:

Actually, I've provided links and I've quoted sources such as the LAPD and the OC Sheriff Dept. You, on the other hand, like to quote opinion pieces from the L.A. Times as your "credible sources".

Old 02-19-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Roflmfao ... “cultivate biological weapons ...” Bubba, grab a towel and dry off, you just fell overboard again

The Murine Typhus outbreak has been professionally, and locally, demonstrated to be distinctly independent of homelessness.

As for your other accusations: every one of those crimes is and has been fully present in all of LA and the nation since forever. If you’d care to define in what ways they are unique to the homeless in LA I’d like to read about it.
Survey says:

Actually, there is a direct coupling between the rat population and the homeless population. To quote Bill Murray, "That's a fact, Jack." You, on the other hand, want to blame palm trees, climate change, and everything EXCEPT the homeless population for the DTLA rat population explosion. Give us a break...

Old 02-19-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Ok then. All caught up for a minute ... what an interesting night/morning of continuing lies and nonsense from the “local Angelino bros” ! Lol.
We know far, far, FAR more about the homeless issues than do you, since you live nowhere near L.A. and the homeless people in Morro Bay are nothing like the psychotic terrorists we have living down here.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:00 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Survey says:

Actually, I've provided links and I've quoted sources such as the LAPD and the OC Sheriff Dept. You, on the other hand, like to quote opinion pieces from the L.A. Times as your "credible sources".
Your quotes from your links are speciously selected ... and when I expand them to include additional information quoted in the same pieces from LAPD, your commentary fails entirely. Anyone can read what I describe in past posts.

I don’t recall ever using any “opinion pieces” from the LA Times or any other opinion pieces. Perhaps you can pull those posts up and show me?

Old 02-19-2019, 08:03 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Survey says:

Actually, there is a direct coupling between the rat population and the homeless population. To quote Bill Murray, "That's a fact, Jack." You, on the other hand, want to blame palm trees, climate change, and everything EXCEPT the homeless population for the DTLA rat population explosion. Give us a break...
Show us your data on the “coupling”. Jack.

Further, show us where rat populations are required for Murine Typhus outbreaks ... not that they are “one possible source” ... show us that they are a required presence. Jack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles