Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2020, 08:11 AM

10,608 posts, read 5,731,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Trump and Garcetti, enemies in public, are quietly working out a deal on homelessness:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...e482b-81785249

From the article:

Quote:
Earlier this week, Gov. Gavin Newsom said he would ask state lawmakers to allocate more than $1.4 billion to help alleviate the homelessness crisis.
I wonder how much of that $1.4 Billion will go to salaries, health insurance and pension payments of public sector employees and state contractors, nice heated & air conditioned offices, computer systems, databases, conferences, powerpoint slides, meetings & offsites vs. you know, trickling down to the actual, you know, homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 08:48 AM

21,890 posts, read 16,589,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
From the article:

I wonder how much of that $1.4 Billion will go to salaries, health insurance and pension payments of public sector employees and state contractors, nice heated & air conditioned offices, computer systems, databases, conferences, powerpoint slides, meetings & offsites vs. you know, trickling down to the actual, you know, homeless.
When you figure out how to get the homeless off the streets without paying public employees and contractors and supporting infrastructures please do present your plan. If it is realistic I will support it with enthusiasm.

There is always (lots) of waste and inefficiency in government administration of anything. While never an “acceptable” truth (it should always be challenged and improved upon) - it is nevertheless an axiomatic reality. And simply pointing it out endlessly without developing alternatives is - well - pretty much pointless.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:03 PM

8,439 posts, read 6,544,219 times
It's not pointless, stop voting for Democrats.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:08 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,804,321 times
Last year, L.A. spent $619 million on homelessness, 40% of which went to consulting fees -- does anybody know what we got from that $246.5 million worth of consultation? I do not.

Furthermore, is anybody here happy about the developer who got a no-bid contract to build apartments on the West L.A. VA campus, after donating $10k to a certain City Councilman? Hmm...

And why is L.A. considering $600k shipping containers to house people, when these are available -- don't know their price but they probably cost a lot less that $600k each:

https://archpaper.com/2019/10/flatpa...aster-durable/

https://cutworkstudio.com/cortex-shelter

https://www.designboom.com/architect...te-09-20-2019/

And BTW, I submit that information for free -- no charge for my consultation.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:31 PM

44 posts, read 26,030 times
Someone earlier mentioned that there was now big money to be made such that someone earlier on this thread wrote it was a homeless industrial complex. At first I thought that concept was absurd, but it is clearly not. That industry gets the loot and the homeless stay that way whilst attacking Angelenos.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:11 AM

26,942 posts, read 27,156,385 times
"I had some questions I needed answered so I went in search of experts, not in nonprofit or government offices but on a dirt slope beside the southbound 101, in an alley off Fairfax Avenue, at a scraggly encampment on a trash-strewn block in Van Nuys.

The giant numbers keep flashing in my head: At last count, more than 36,000 homeless people were living in Los Angeles, nearly 59,000 in the county. So many efforts of so many kinds are underway to help, but you don’t have to be good at math to know there aren’t enough outreach workers to reach every person.

I keep saying that we, as individuals, have to jump in with direct help too.

But how? How to start? What is useful? It only makes sense, my own gut and people who already do this tell me, to pose the questions to those living and hoping not to die on our streets."

(Some of the answers she received about what is needed: clothes you don't wear anymore, blankets, TAP cards, socks, aspirin.)

How can we help the homeless? Let’s start by asking them:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...p-ways-housing

Old 01-11-2020, 02:37 PM

Two people got shot overnight in a homeless encampment in downtown LA.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Two people got shot overnight in a homeless encampment in downtown LA.
And? How many people are shot every day, week, month elsewhere, Vega? How often does this happen in homeless camps, or anywhere else? No context, bubba.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:13 PM

A homeless man tried to grab a 6 year old girl twice in Venice when the family held him until the cops arrived.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
A homeless man tried to grab a 6 year old girl twice in Venice when the family held him until the cops arrived.
Geeze that’s terrible. Can you imagine what life would be like for all of us if housed people did terrible things like shoot each other and grab kids? What if people like priests molested children!? Holy cow what a world that would be!

Almost 1,700 priests and clergy accused of sex abuse are unsupervised
An Associated Press investigation found that those credibly accused are now teachers, coaches, counselors and also live near playgrounds.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/religio...vised-n1062396
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles