Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2020, 06:54 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,804,321 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles has at least 20 golf courses according to Google maps -- is there a reason the city can't requisition just one of them to erect temporary homeless shelters? Golf courses take up a relatively immense amount of land just so a half dozen people an hour, and only during daylight hours, can hit a ball, chase the ball, hit a ball, chase the ball, etc. or however exactly that George Carlin bit goes.

If this city really wanted to put a dent in the homeless situation, a golf course adjacent to a major boulevard such as the one at Rancho Park could house many homeless people, and instead of playing golf at Rancho Park, golfers could simply go across the street to the immediately adjacent Hillcrest Country Club. Yeah, seriously, there are TWO golf courses immediately adjacent to each other, neither of them are being used for homeless housing. Why not?

And this scene came to mind as I was considering all this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JE4GYS63ak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 08:33 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,047,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Los Angeles has at least 20 golf courses according to Google maps -- is there a reason the city can't requisition just one of them to erect temporary homeless shelters? Golf courses take up a relatively immense amount of land just so a half dozen people an hour, and only during daylight hours, can hit a ball, chase the ball, hit a ball, chase the ball, etc. or however exactly that George Carlin bit goes.

If this city really wanted to put a dent in the homeless situation, a golf course adjacent to a major boulevard such as the one at Rancho Park could house many homeless people, and instead of playing golf at Rancho Park, golfers could simply go across the street to the immediately adjacent Hillcrest Country Club. Yeah, seriously, there are TWO golf courses immediately adjacent to each other, neither of them are being used for homeless housing. Why not?

And this scene came to mind as I was considering all this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JE4GYS63ak
How about the big empty Spaghetti Factory apartment bldg on Sunset? Tied up in BS lawsuits forever. Just f'ing take it and put resources on each floor for the residents.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:08 AM

8,439 posts, read 6,544,219 times
Along Glenoaks Blvd. along the Hansen Dam golf course is one after another delapated homeless motor homes.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:17 PM

Anyone remember from a few years back, there was a guy who was a lawyer or maybe in cahoots with a lawyer, and he would visit dozens of mom-and-pop restaurants in LA and then threaten to file ADA lawsuits over minor perceived infractions? He would browbeat them into settlements. Finally I think he was disbarred or something. I should google it.

Anyway...

How interesting would it be for someone to file some sort of action on behalf of physically disabled people who cannot pass sidewalks in many, many neighborhoods? How could this play out...and ADA action coming up against Jones v. LA?

Old 01-14-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Anyone remember from a few years back, there was a guy who was a lawyer or maybe in cahoots with a lawyer, and he would visit dozens of mom-and-pop restaurants in LA and then threaten to file ADA lawsuits over minor perceived infractions? He would browbeat them into settlements. Finally I think he was disbarred or something. I should google it.

Anyway...

How interesting would it be for someone to file some sort of action on behalf of physically disabled people who cannot pass sidewalks in many, many neighborhoods? How could this play out...and ADA action coming up against Jones v. LA?
I remember that -- I believe it was in the early to mid 00's. This group of cretins would claim a bathroom mirror was an inch too high or something, then tell a business owner they could make the potential lawsuit disappear for thousands of dollars. I heard this group getting grilled in some sort of legal hearing that was carried live on KFI, and this group had a crapweasel answer for everything that the people doing the grilling were not happy about.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:42 AM

26,942 posts, read 27,156,385 times
From Steve Lopez:

An empty hospital. An exploding homeless crisis. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...at-im-thinking

Old 01-15-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
From Steve Lopez:

An empty hospital. An exploding homeless crisis. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...at-im-thinking
Great article.

Mayor says "we just don't have the cash" WTF, what a crock of crap. There's enough dirty developer $$$ hovering around those permitted $$$$$$$ apartment behemoths that ends up somewhere...could get diverted to something like this. It just burns me...the city has $$ when it wants to have $$.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Great article.

Mayor says "we just don't have the cash" WTF, what a crock of crap. There's enough dirty developer $$$ hovering around those permitted $$$$$$$ apartment behemoths that ends up somewhere...could get diverted to something like this. It just burns me...the city has $$ when it wants to have $$.
100% agreed. If they really wanted to solve this thing, they could. I used to walk through the West L.A. VA campus five or six times a week as part of my walking regiment, and there were vacant buildings there, not to mention vast swaths of empty land. I'm aware of the land grant issue involving that VA campus, but I don't see why an arrangement can't be made, particularly when there's a full baseball stadium there for UCLA and the Dodger farm team, a driving range for golfers, soccer fields for the AYSO, etc.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
100% agreed. If they really wanted to solve this thing, they could. I used to walk through the West L.A. VA campus five or six times a week as part of my walking regiment, and there were vacant buildings there, not to mention vast swaths of empty land. I'm aware of the land grant issue involving that VA campus, but I don't see why an arrangement can't be made, particularly when there's a full baseball stadium there for UCLA and the Dodger farm team, a driving range for golfers, soccer fields for the AYSO, etc.
I don't know that "they" or anyone could 100% solve the entire homeless problem.

But I do agree that if some developer wanted to fast-tack something to do with an empty building the city would move much faster than they are now trying to help its more disadvantaged citizens. (putting aside all the NIMBY nancies and the delays they can all cause).

Old 01-15-2020, 08:52 PM

8,439 posts, read 6,544,219 times
There are more than 1,000 units approved for HHH funding expected to cost over 600,000 each. one project is expected to coast over 700,000 each.
They are building nice new townhouses here where I live some as low as 400,000. these aren't small houses but full size nice houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles