Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2019, 08:48 AM

42,832 posts, read 26,583,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Just as there "handicapped" seats on a bus, so also should there be handicapped beds in that shelter. Someone should have given up her bed to allow the handicapped wheelchair-bound woman a spot.
No kidding..had I witnessed it I would have put her in my car and drove her to the hospital and stayed there until they admitted her, according to the news article on it she had several chronic conditions including diabetes and while waiting to get in the shelter she had not taken any meds for her diabetes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 08:57 PM

8,439 posts, read 6,544,219 times
A homeless guy died on the steps of city hall last night.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:28 PM

21,886 posts, read 16,589,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
A homeless guy died on the steps of city hall last night.
Perhaps tragic. Perhaps a blessing. Respect is always a gracious gesture in any case.

But you do understand that people die in all sorts of places every day, under all sorts of circumstances, for all sorts of reasons, right V8?

Old 12-21-2019, 08:40 AM

26,943 posts, read 27,156,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Trump has appointed Robert Marbut as executive director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness.
More from the newly appointed federal homelessness chief. It looks as if he dislikes California as much as Trump does.

Federal homelessness chief has harsh words for California: ‘You can’t tell me it’s working’:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-robert-marbut

Old 12-21-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
More from the newly appointed federal homelessness chief. It looks as if he dislikes California as much as Trump does.

Federal homelessness chief has harsh words for California: ‘You can’t tell me it’s working’:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-robert-marbut
Oh happy days! Nothing like solving problems, eh!

Old 12-22-2019, 07:08 AM

26,943 posts, read 27,156,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
It depends on the homeless person. They run the gamut from folks down on their luck to psychopaths. I helped an old woman who was living outside a convent for a while. The sisters told me that she'd been offered homes more than once but preferred to live outdoors. Some of them are like that.
Maybe for good reason.

Letter to the Editor yesterday from the L.A. Times:

As a homeless "car camper" and a woman alone, i can tell you that the reason for someone to refuse shelter is fear.

Several years ago I went to a shelter for a couple of weeks, and when other down-and-outs found out I had running vehicle, I was expected to drive them around for free. The one time I refused, I feared for my life. My food was stolen form my assigned section of the shelter pantry, and there was no enforcement of curfew rules and therefore no sleep for those of us who were trying to work regular jobs.

I learned that some of the other folks were violent criminals on parole, so I left the shelter system. My current vehicle suits most of my needs just fine, and with the help of one very special friend, I can afford to run it legally -- for now. Local police know I'm just trying to live and not drinking or using drugs. As long as I can find a toilet when I need one, all is well.

But I keep my doors locked and my phone charged and within easy reach. I never sleep deeply. Fear wins, every time.

-Catherine Gordon, Fullerton

Old 12-22-2019, 02:04 PM

3,815 posts, read 4,732,434 times
Saw this today. Sorry if it's been discussed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...PL8fr7cDqIishw

I'm no expert by any means but as much as this looks great is it really going to make a huge difference long term? Seems like a recipe for a building becoming worn down full of drugs, violence etc.

And what about the people who still choose to live on the streets? Because we know some people want to stay off the grid or want to continue to do drugs & if they have things in place at the complex they can't allow drugs (even though some will get in).

Seems like the winners here will be the people who get the contract to build & maintain it.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:41 PM

42,832 posts, read 26,583,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

I'm no expert by any means but as much as this looks great is it really going to make a huge difference long term? Seems like a recipe for a building becoming worn down full of drugs, violence etc.

And what about the people who still choose to live on the streets? Because we know some people want to stay off the grid or want to continue to do drugs & if they have things in place at the complex they can't allow drugs (even though some will get in).

Seems like the winners here will be the people who get the contract to build & maintain it.
probably not a great idea, it sounds like a grand experiment for societal control of all people even those who aren't homeless. RFID bracelet to access your living quarters, requirement to work as directed to earn 'credits' to stay there? And as you said, the winners would be the dork who is crowd sourcing it and the contractors who would build the thing.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:43 PM

639 posts, read 1,078,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

From the article:

"An activist group has revealed their plans to build a $3billion state-of-the art city to house homeless citizens in California"

"The group set up a GoFundMe to raise 50,000 on Wednesday and so far has received $820."

That basically summarizes it. No way anyone is going to pay 3 billion dollars for this fantasy city for the homeless when they could be using it for college education, health care, etc. Just another failed attempt to help the homeless. Assuming it's not a scam.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
From the article:

"An activist group has revealed their plans to build a $3billion state-of-the art city to house homeless citizens in California"

"The group set up a GoFundMe to raise 50,000 on Wednesday and so far has received $820."

That basically summarizes it. No way anyone is going to pay 3 billion dollars for this fantasy city for the homeless when they could be using it for college education, health care, etc. Just another failed attempt to help the homeless. Assuming it's not a scam.
I’m betting on scam ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles