Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I honestly can't believe I went to LAUSD. What an embarrassment looking back on it. I read online that jefferson high had a 58% dropout rate! Any school that has more than a 30 or 35% dropout rate should simply be closed.

I don't think a billionaire (whitman) is really interested in school reform. Has a billionaire ever done anything for public schools while in office? Its hard to see them on the side of the average student (esp in california).
Michael Bloomberg has. To his credit he has rapidly reshaped NY's public schools and improved them. He's closed down the worst schools and encouraged more specialized schools. He's also eliminated neighborhood attendance boundaries for high schools such that kids have to apply to attend any particular school. He abolished the board of education and put the system under direct mayoral control (as Jerry Brown tried to do unsuccessfully in Oakland and as Villaraigosa tried to do unsuccessfully in L.A.) He has moved away from the comprehensive model. (Although NY has always had many specialized secondary schools)

This is not an endorsement of all of Bloomberg's policies as NYC mayor but merely stating that his education policies have shown results.

However as much as Whitman wants to come off like Bloomberg, she doesn't seem to have his particular streak of noblesse oblige.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
I don't think a billionaire (whitman) is really interested in school reform. Has a billionaire ever done anything for public schools while in office? Its hard to see them on the side of the average student (esp in california).
Call me crass, but I believe that pretty much any billionaire would end up, whether they intended to or not, look at public schools much in the same way that you look at a business that isn't pulling its own weight: how you can break the damn thing apart to use as a tax write off to un-burden other business ventures that are failing less severely.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:11 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
I'm now starting to laugh as I read the title of this thread. I don't know why. There is an old saying that says one man's junk is another man's treasure. I LA a dump? That depends on who you ask.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I'm now starting to laugh as I read the title of this thread. I don't know why. There is an old saying that says one man's junk is another man's treasure. I LA a dump? That depends on who you ask.
It is a dump.

FOR ALL THINGS THAT ARE AWESOME!!!11!!1!!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:45 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Michael Bloomberg has. To his credit he has rapidly reshaped NY's public schools and improved them. He's closed down the worst schools and encouraged more specialized schools. He's also eliminated neighborhood attendance boundaries for high schools such that kids have to apply to attend any particular school. He abolished the board of education and put the system under direct mayoral control (as Jerry Brown tried to do unsuccessfully in Oakland and as Villaraigosa tried to do unsuccessfully in L.A.) He has moved away from the comprehensive model. (Although NY has always had many specialized secondary schools)

This is not an endorsement of all of Bloomberg's policies as NYC mayor but merely stating that his education policies have shown results.

However as much as Whitman wants to come off like Bloomberg, she doesn't seem to have his particular streak of noblesse oblige.
Whitman sort of strikes me as like Jon Corzine, right after he made a gazillion dollars from Goldman Sachs. He spent, $100 million?, I don't remember, to be senator and governor of New Jersey. It was a fortune at the time. You wonder what the motive is for anyone to spend $50 or $100 million, after making a billion, just to be senator or governor. They have nothing better to do?

You don't get to be a billionaire by playing nice all the time. It'd be like Mr Burns in the Simpsons, suddenly turning "nice" or "generous". And deciding why not, I'll be noble and serve my state. Would you really believe that?

I don't follow ny or new jersey schools. But the issue here is more about immigration. I don't think ny or new jersey has had nearly the influx of non native english speakers that california has gotten.

My guess is a billionaire would look at anything in a business context. How could you not?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,998 times
I want to use myself as an example.

Born and raised in LA. I went to college right after high school and now I'm back in the El Segundo area making over 70k a year at age 23. I thought this would be enough for me to live here...I feel like I'm living paycheck to paycheck. Since I'm single and I don't want room mates (i feel like I shouldn't making that much money) I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and my rent is about 1300 a month.

So my question to you guys is: Where could I possibly buy a home/condo near my job that is nice and affordable and I wouldn't have to deal with crime or need to worry about leaving my car on the street?

With my pay and salary and say a 15k down payment, according to CNN money, I can only afford a house of about 300k. I literally drew a 10 mile circle around my work and the only place I can truly afford would be Compton, Gardena, Hawthorne, or Lawndale. I like LA but .

Old 09-19-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:

I don't follow ny or new jersey schools. But the issue here is more about immigration. I don't think ny or new jersey has had nearly the influx of non native english speakers that california has gotten.
LOL!

If anything more like NY and NJ residents don't flee as much because of immigrants - and that's why they're respected more than Californians including in Southern California. If you give up and run nobody respects you including in your own hometown. But both states have had a major influx of non-English speakers now and throughout their history.

The difference is that immigration has been a key part of NYC's identity since the US began, whereas if you look at the history of Los Angeles it went from being extremely xenophobic and anti-immigrant to one of the most diverse cities in the world. As late as 1950 Los Angeles had a larger percentage of white Protestants than any city outside of the former Confederacy (and obviously a larger percentage than New Orleans, Miami, San Antonio, El Paso, perhaps Austin....). NY and NJ have always been about diversity (not that they haven't been free from racism and prejudice over the years). Likewise in CA, one of the reasons why Bay Area's been better at dealing with immigration issues because San Francisco and Oakland both have long traditions of being destinations for immigrants. (OTOH I think L.A.'s less anti-black than S.F.)

Quote:
My guess is a billionaire would look at anything in a business context. How could you not?
True when you look at Bloomberg's OTHER policies like his turning Manhattan into a theme park for the wealthy. But the NYC board's the place to discuss that not the L.A. board.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1387 View Post

Born and raised in LA. I went to college right after high school and now I'm back in the El Segundo area making over 70k a year at age 23. I thought this would be enough for me to live here...I feel like I'm living paycheck to paycheck. Since I'm single and I don't want room mates (i feel like I shouldn't making that much money) I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and my rent is about 1300 a month.
What the hell else are you spending your money on??? You should be grossing about $6k/mo if you're over 70k, net let's say you lose $1200 to taxes (I'm being pretty mercurial here, that's about what I lost claiming "0" on my taxes when I made about that much/slightly more in 03-06), you should still have $3500 to spend on all your other expenses.

The only reason I don't have much to show for how much I made a few years back is because I had an ex who blew all of it. She has a lot to show for it... memories of vacations... nice jewelry... and an increased BMI. Oh well.

Say you spend $500 for food (generous for a single fellow); $750/mo for a nice car and the insurance on it... even after that, you've got over $2k to go out and enjoy life!

I make about $42k in SF, own a sports car, take girls on dates, drink a lot, go out to eat nearly every day, and I still put away about a grand a month... it's all about how you budget it!

Quote:
So my question to you guys is: Where could I possibly buy a home/condo near my job that is nice and affordable and I wouldn't have to deal with crime or need to worry about leaving my car on the street?

With my pay and salary and say a 15k down payment, according to CNN money, I can only afford a house of about 300k. I literally drew a 10 mile circle around my work and the only place I can truly afford would be Compton, Gardena, Hawthorne, or Lawndale. I like LA but .
1 br - ONE BEDROOM CONDO HAND REMODEL (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/reb/1961593809.html - broken link)
Hampton Court --- 1 & 2 Bedroom Spacious Condominiums (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/reb/1962417227.html - broken link)
Finely-Appointed Condo in Highly Desired Neighborhood - VISTA DEL ORO (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/reb/1962259030.html - broken link)

Took me about 2 minutes to find those...

Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

1 br - ONE BEDROOM CONDO HAND REMODEL (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/reb/1961593809.html - broken link)
Hampton Court --- 1 & 2 Bedroom Spacious Condominiums (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/reb/1962417227.html - broken link)
Finely-Appointed Condo in Highly Desired Neighborhood - VISTA DEL ORO (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/reb/1962259030.html - broken link)

Took me about 2 minutes to find those...
San Pedro's more than 10 miles away from El Segundo.

Culver City's within the 10 mile radius (especially Southern Culver City where that condo's located)

West Hollywood might be outside the 10 mile radius, barely., There's probably something in Miracle Mile/Carthay/South Carthay/South Robertson that might fit on a 70K salary, and all of those are within the 10 mile radius.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 PM

749 posts, read 1,863,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1387 View Post

With my pay and salary and say a 15k down payment, according to CNN money, I can only afford a house of about 300k.
Culver City, Downtown LA, and Hollywood. Possibly even a few in Playa Vista that are CLOSE to your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles