Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 01:29 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
85% of Alabamans and Mississippians supported segregation.
Lmfao ... well there’s the absurd equivalency attempt of the day post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 01:29 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Um no, Tim.

1. Ballots printed in those “other languages” is definitely NOT because there are enough relevant populations to be meaningful in a broad survey. The state is mandated to be accessible to every citizen, regardless of demographic depth.
Not true of course. There are thresholds that must be met. Usually 5% of the voting population of a covered jurisdiction or 10,000 people.

Quote:
2. The “probability of illegal aliens in the voter database“ is NOT very high. At all. Whatever the number is, it is minuscule. This is a different topic, but the information on how that is managed is quite available.
LA County was forced to remove 1.5 million voters from its rolls and CA over 5 million. The ostensible reason was they were "inactive" voters, but a lot of those "voters" were people who knew they were not eligible to vote and so never responded to the Registrar of Voters when contacted.

Quote:
3. Whether the University is a “major polling organization” is irrelevant. ”Major polling organization” as defined by who as what? FiveThiryEight isn’t an arbiter of credibility in polling. It is an aggregator of popularity of pollings. I presume you understand the difference?
Actually FiveThiryEight IS an arbiter of credibility in polling. They only aggregate credible polls. I make no assumption on your ability to understand that.

Quote:
4. “Policies in place” are a significant element. But not hardly controlling in all respects. Many places in the world with similar populations have different vectors (travel, culture, etc.) ... and thus VERY different rates of infection and hospitalizations and mortality.
Why do certain people keep ignoring different state's responses? Could it be inconvenient to admit to alternatives?

Quote:
That University exists among top tiers of academic standards and professionalism. TimTheEnchanter is an unknown anonymous internet poster.
That University only admits the best and brightest, the creme de la creme, those of superior intellect. Can I assume you are NOT an alum?
Go Bears! Give 'Em The Axe

Old 05-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but if majoritarian tyranny is what you seek, you have to accept it in all its decisions.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:31 PM

14,322 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
You clearly don't understand the point that just because the majority of people at a given moment support a given policy, does not make the policy correct, morally or legally right, or anything at all except popular.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:01 PM

172 posts, read 362,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You clearly don't understand the point that just because the majority of people at a given moment support a given policy, does not make the policy correct, morally or legally right, or anything at all except popular.
Simple concepts like this are hard to understand for the reactionary types. Then again, when you have to emphasize "lmfao" as a laughter soundtrack where there is in, speaks volumes.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Not true of course. There are thresholds that must be met. Usually 5% of the voting population of a covered jurisdiction or 10,000 people.

LA County was forced to remove 1.5 million voters from its rolls and CA over 5 million. The ostensible reason was they were "inactive" voters, but a lot of those "voters" were people who knew they were not eligible to vote and so never responded to the Registrar of Voters when contacted.

Actually FiveThiryEight IS an arbiter of credibility in polling. They only aggregate credible polls. I make no assumption on your ability to understand that.

Why do certain people keep ignoring different state's responses? Could it be inconvenient to admit to alternatives?

That University only admits the best and brightest, the creme de la creme, those of superior intellect. Can I assume you are NOT an alum?
You certainly keep me chuckling.

You say: 5% of California registered voters are primary speakers of: Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Tagalog, Thai , Vietnamese, Panjabi, Hmong, Syriac, Armenian, Persian, and Arabic - each? That’s 14 languages x 5% each. Which comes to 70% of total state electorate being non-English / Spanish-speaking. Huh. I had no idea!

Or, do you agree that where those voters exist in those 5% cultural concentrations are few and small communities as can be aggregately applied to the state rolls?

Your acknowledgement that so many voters were removed from rolls demonstrates exactly that the state exercises protocols to keep voter registrations legitimate.

Yes, I agree that FiveThirtyEight only aggregates credible polls. Which does not mean they account for all credible polls. They aggregate [credible] popular polling. There are about a bazillion surveys conducted in credible research venues that FiveThirtyEight doesn’t report.

Why do some people keep ignoring scientific reality? Could it be that they don’t want to accept variables that defeat their narrative?

You certainly can assume I am not an alum. Of anywhere. Except the United States military, of course. But what does that prove about anything? You seem to want to argue that formal education credentials are required for intelligent analysis. Being self-educated as I am, I enjoy engaging that Sophistry in debate, and have done so many times. Do you want to go there? Shall I toss you a list of highly regarded scientists, engineers, philosophers, politicians, artists, and all sorts of other thinkers and doers who were educational dropouts?

Old 05-02-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but if majoritarian tyranny is what you seek, you have to accept it in all its decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingRoo View Post
Simple concepts like this are hard to understand for the reactionary types. Then again, when you have to emphasize "lmfao" as a laughter soundtrack where there is in, speaks volumes.
And each of you completely miss the fundamental truth I wrote: that comparing foundational American racial civil rights to public perception of threat from a deadly pandemic is ... deserving of rofhmslmfao.

This is getting better that a Marx Brothers movie.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:32 PM

172 posts, read 362,628 times
Quote:

When it doesn't fit a certain narrative, it gets excluded to prove said narrative.

It seems you were trained very well in critical thinking and how not to appeal to authority as a rebuttal.

As a Blue and Gold...Go Tritons!

Old 05-02-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
And each of you completely miss the fundamental truth I wrote: that comparing foundational American racial civil rights to public perception of threat from a deadly pandemic is ... deserving of rofhmslmfao. This is getting better that a Marx Brothers movie.
No, actually it is getting more tiresome than Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen.

I guess I should not be surprised that you don't see the parallels in violations of basic civil rights in the two situations, yet somehow I am.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
And I think you are backpedaling fast to defend the indefensible. You completely ignore that not every state used the same approach or at the same time.
I downloaded and read the entire poll and it's methods. It is how I am able to discuss the flaws in its methods.
Ha ha, OMG thanks for proving my point. You do your research now. Go to Gallup and Pew and read their explanations on "Why am I never called by a polling company". If you are getting weekly emails to complete online surveys, it is not the random sampling that is a key to poll accuracy.
But we don't know do we, because Newsom didn't try a different approach. And there is still the different approaches from more courageous governors.
The adult illiteracy rate in California is 23%. The percent of US residents using email is 76%. You can get California ballots and voter guide materials in English, Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Tagalog, Thai , Vietnamese, Panjabi, Hmong, Syriac, Armenian, Persian, and Arabic. That means everyone after "English and Spanish" was omitted.
Good God give it a rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles