Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 01:50 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
That doesn’t make sense. High number of service workers in OC, SB, Riverside, and San Diego counties and all of those are multiples lower than LA County.

And the few counties that jumped the gun are isolated and very low in population not to mention very spread out. They are spreading anything anywhere.
Seems Greasy Gavin is following idiot Gov Cuomo’s protocol with regard to elder care facilities. 40% of deaths are from elder facilities. He actually offered $1,000 per day to them to accept positive patients, yet has to borrow money from the federal government now to pay UI claims, illegals and house the homeless. What a buffoon. Yet, lecture us on how he is following science. Ok, cult leader.

https://www.mercurynews.com/editoria...ome-cases-soar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 02:43 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Seems Greasy Gavin is following idiot Gov Cuomo’s protocol with regard to elder care facilities. 40% of deaths are from elder facilities. He actually offered $1,000 per day to them to accept positive patients, yet has to borrow money from the federal government now to pay UI claims, illegals and house the homeless. What a buffoon. Yet, lecture us on how he is following science. Ok, cult leader.

https://www.mercurynews.com/editoria...ome-cases-soar
Elder facilities I assume are in proportion to the population. However I am curious what % of LA County CV deaths were in elder facilities. I am still not sure it means much though since the number of cases in LA County is also disproportionally high compared to population levels.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:03 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
That doesn’t make sense. High number of service workers in OC, SB, Riverside, and San Diego counties and all of those are multiples lower than LA County.

And the few counties that jumped the gun are isolated and very low in population not to mention very spread out. They aren’t spreading anything anywhere.
Orange County also has a considerably higher density than LA County, for what that's worth. It's closer to San Francisco in that regard, but has far fewer cases and deaths per million than either of those.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Elder facilities I assume are in proportion to the population. However I am curious what % of LA County CV deaths were in elder facilities. I am still not sure it means much though since the number of cases in LA County is also disproportionally high compared to population levels.
Here you go. Quite a failure on Greasy Boi’s watch. Same with Garcetti. Yet, let’s keep businesses closed. Ok, makes complete sense.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020...avirus-deaths/

https://www.mercurynews.com/coronavi...ents-and-staff

Old 05-08-2020, 04:39 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Here you go. Quite a failure on Greasy Boi’s watch. Same with Garcetti. Yet, let’s keep businesses closed. Ok, makes complete sense.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020...avirus-deaths/

https://www.mercurynews.com/coronavi...ents-and-staff
That’s not too far out of line with other stats I’ve seen(estimates at 30-45% of all deaths).

I do think that’s probably the correct route to go in terms of moving forward...open things up and with masks and proper social distancing and caution those with health issues and the elderly to stay home or exercise caution. You wouldn’t know it from some of the hysterics in this thread though.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
That’s not too far out of line with other stats I’ve seen(estimates at 30-45% of all deaths).

I do think that’s probably the correct route to go in terms of moving forward...open things up and with masks and proper social distancing and caution those with health issues and the elderly to stay home or exercise caution. You wouldn’t know it from some of the hysterics in this thread though.
Trump even said that, I believe yesterday that older and medically at-risk should stay home. Why we had to shut down the economy for this long is the most ridiculous thing that will be talked about 50 years from now. Too bad, I won’t be around to hear it. Why there was no focus on the elderly at all when we saw all the stats from other countries back in late Feb/early March is beyond me.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:17 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
This generation of snowflakes wouldn't last a minute during prior eras in our history: like WWII when Americans on the home front planted victory gardens, endured serious rationing of goods, etc. Not to mention the numerous prior occasions in our history when quarantines were imposed to protect the public against yellow fever, small pox and other infectious diseases.
Those previous quarantines were quarantines of the sick and infected people (and those exposed by living with them), NOT the entire population of a state.

Funny you mention WWII; we "quarantined" an entire segment of the population and it is now considered one of the most shameful acts in American history.

Quote:
I am quite curious why LA County is so disproportionally affected compared to other CA counties. I thought it might be due to testing, but That wouldn’t affect deaths...
They have a lot people who paid zero attention to the basics of "virus prevention" strategies. I think in LA County you'd find the 80% of the cases in relatively few zip codes.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:38 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Those previous quarantines were quarantines of the sick and infected people (and those exposed by living with them), NOT the entire population of a state.

Funny you mention WWII; we "quarantined" an entire segment of the population and it is now considered one of the most shameful acts in American history...
Those previous diseases manifested more openly more quickly relative to window of infectiousness. This virus is often hidden - and the infected become active vectors long before, if ever, obvious. In the gross absence of widespread testing, the underlying principle of quarantine to execute the government’s mandate to safeguard the public is the issue here, not the variables of different diseases in past history.

And the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII has no relevance to infectious disease quarantine. The internment was purely speculative fear that targeted established citizenry based solely on race, not based on active forces - and not based on pernicious disease.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:42 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I think in LA County you'd find the 80% of the cases in relatively few zip codes.
It doesn't look like it. Long Beach, Glendale, San Pedro, Pasadena, Sylmar, and Palmdale all have over 500 confirmed cases. Those with only one confirmed case: Bradbury, Playa del Rey, Vernon, unincorporated Pomona, Mandeville Cyn...

https://www.latimes.com/projects/cal...king-outbreak/

Old 05-09-2020, 07:52 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
Quote:

And the few counties that jumped the gun are isolated and very low in population not to mention very spread out. They aren’t spreading anything anywhere.
As a state, California's testing ramp up has been slow so we only know so much. The known cases in those rural northern counties were plateauing, not declining when they jumped the gun. Also, issues like the capacity for contract tracing and local health care system capacity have to be considered. Finally, early reopening in even case-free counties could lead to infected travelers bringing the virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles