Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 05:08 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Glad to see you can admit it was a black eye. Yet, many Americans today aren't even aware of it. It was very dismissive for Astral Weeks to be so dismissive.

I know it was about race, I know two people now in their 80s who as chlldren were in Manzanar.

Yes, there most certainly is an equivalency, just like how you tried to "educate " me on the 92 riots when I mentioned concerns about civil unrest due to a major economic downturn and people growing frustrated who are still waiting for their first EDD check and they got laid off in mid March. Others can't even apply online and can't get through on the phone. I am well aware of the cause of the 92 riots, you do understand that civil unrest occurs over issues.

Funny, you listed every detail of your life and all the good you have done, based on your demeanor here it doesn't quite add up.

I will show concern for others, that's not your call. People who have lost jobs, I mentioned earlier women and children living in already tense situations at home due to domestic abuse. Never said inferior, having empathy for others is being human, doesn't mean you think they're inferior.
Of course it was a black eye. And most Americans ARE aware of it. You keep assuming you are somehow more uniquely informed about life and history than other people.

No, there is no equivalency. And yes I did school you on the riots.

My “demeanor” here is dismissive of rabidly ignorant opining and whining ... not dismissive of peoples’ actual struggles at necessities levels.

You “know”:
“Two nurses [who lost jobs] ... and ...
“Two Japanese [who were interned]”

... like Noah’s Ark, eh?

Well Seain, I know two people who have lost jobs (as a result of CV19) who I am fully supporting until they can work again. Because I am in a fortunate enough position to help, in spite of my “demeanor”.

Like I said: give it a rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 05:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No kidding. Seain is just one of many posters on CV19 related threads in several different state forums I have browsed who are all quite certain the nation is headed for rioting in the streets and general civil collapse. Seain is obsessed with “the ‘92 riots” in LA as an example. But the parallels just aren’t there. COVID19 isn’t socio-economic oppression. And no civil rights are being selectively abused.
Here's a photo of the 2nd California militia oooh! 60 of them turned out to show how they just might engage in some civil unrest any day now if we don't reopen barber shops. Much to their chagrin they were kept off the Capitol grounds by CHP Officers. The good news is that if they are representative of the 'fighters' in the civil unrest, I think we will be ok, we could get them to leave by announcing that the newest version of Gears of War for Xbox has been released and is available at GameStop

https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/c...GTycL8GETj.jpg

Old 05-09-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Here's a photo of the 2nd California militia oooh! 60 of them turned out to show how they just might engage in some civil unrest any day now if we don't reopen barber shops. Much to their chagrin they were kept off the Capitol grounds by CHP Officers. The good news is that if they are representative of the 'fighters' in the civil unrest, I think we will be ok, we could get them to leave by announcing that the newest version of Gears of War for Xbox has been released and is available at GameStop

https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/c...GTycL8GETj.jpg
Wearing camo makes the man ...

Old 05-09-2020, 06:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Of course it was a black eye. And most Americans ARE aware of it. You keep assuming you are somehow more uniquely informed about life and history than other people.

No, there is no equivalency. And yes I did school you on the riots.

My “demeanor” here is dismissive of rabidly ignorant opining and whining ... not dismissive of peoples’ actual struggles at necessities levels.

You “know”:
“Two nurses [who lost jobs] ... and ...
“Two Japanese [who were interned]”

... like Noah’s Ark, eh?

Well Seain, I know two people who have lost jobs (as a result of CV19) who I am fully supporting until they can work again. Because I am in a fortunate enough position to help, in spite of my “demeanor”.

Like I said: give it a rest.
Yes, you schooled me on the riots....LOL.

You don't even live in LA ,nor did you live in LA back in 92. You watched them you said on TV. I worked in South Central at the time and lived in Hollywood, but you schooled me...ph my.

The bolded part, your constant name calling of other posters, you're entitled to your opinion, but you insult those who don't agree with you. You should try getting your point across without that, but I think you think you get a kick out it.

I don't think I am uniquely informed, many Americans couldn't tell the 3 branches of government In 2016 when Puerto Rico was devastated by the hurricane, the majority of Americans didn't know PR was part of the US or that Puerto Ricans were US citizens.

I will leave it at.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:09 PM

172 posts, read 362,571 times
Quote:
No, you make yourself look ignorant. What Tim said is true. Japanese Americans(who were born here) were put into interment camps,. He is quite right, it is considered one of the most shameful times in American history.

And try educating yourself about this virus, I guess you think all the hospitals were overflowing in NY? Not even close. Do you know anyone in the medical field? I know two nurses who have been laid off, thousands have, do you know why? Educate yourself.

If I an correct you're in your 30s. I really feel sorry for people your age and younger the most. Your country has pretty much destroyed your financial future, and that is tragic. It took the US 12 years to make a full recovery from the Great Depression( and this is going to rival that).

Think about that one, nothing LMAO about.
Excellent post. I'll also add this bit of history which tends to be forgotten by the authoritarian types.

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/jewish/....etto-1.5314114

"Work on creating the ghetto had begun in March 1940, when Warsaw’s historical Jewish neighborhood was declared an “epidemic quarantine district,” with signs posted discouraging nonresidents from entering. That month, the Judenrat was ordered to begin building a three-meter-high wall around the designated area, topped with barbed wire."

Watch them spin this one as well.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:18 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
No, you make yourself look ignorant. What Tim said is true. Japanese Americans(who were born here) were put into interment camps,. He is quite right, it is considered one of the most shameful times in American history.

And try educating yourself about this virus, I guess you think all the hospitals were overflowing in NY? Not even close. Do you know anyone in the medical field? I know two nurses who have been laid off, thousands have, do you know why? Educate yourself.

If I an correct you're in your 30s. I really feel sorry for people your age and younger the most. Your country has pretty much destroyed your financial future, and that is tragic. It took the US 12 years to make a full recovery from the Great Depression( and this is going to rival that).

LMAO again.

Re: Internment: A very good friend of my senior citizen parents is a Japanese American woman who was interned as a child with her family during WWII. I have heard her story directly from her mouth. As Mutt noted, it is a dark, shameful chapter in our history. But it has NOTHING to do with what we are discussing in this thread.

I grew up in LA and have known numerous Japanese Americans over the years (including one of my best friends in middle school/high school). So no need for the history lesson.

FYI, I am a Gen X'er born in 1967. There are several medical professionals in my family including a nurse and a M.D.

I experienced the riots in '92 first hand, the '94 earthquake and was laid off during the 2008 financial crisis, etc. You know what they say: never ASSUME anything. Don't worry about my financial future though: I came back pretty strong and have $0 debt.

The hospitals weren't overflowing in New York because the social distancing measures did what they were supposed to do.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:29 PM

172 posts, read 362,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
LMAO again.

The hospitals weren't overflowing in New York because the social distancing measures did what they were supposed to do.
LMAO back at you as they weren't overflowing because it's media propaganda. You know, like fictional weapons of mass destruction the media bombarded people with in the early 2000s? Or the mysterious Ruskis coming for everyone. SPOOKY LANGUAGE! Constant fear mongering that the gullible gobble up without critically analyzing.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, you schooled me on the riots....LOL.

You don't even live in LA ,nor did you live in LA back in 92. You watched them you said on TV. I worked in South Central at the time and lived in Hollywood, but you schooled me...ph my.

The bolded part, your constant name calling of other posters, you're entitled to your opinion, but you insult those who don't agree with you. You should try getting your point across without that, but I think you think you get a kick out it.

I don't think I am uniquely informed, many Americans couldn't tell the 3 branches of government In 2016 when Puerto Rico was devastated by the hurricane, the majority of Americans didn't know PR was part of the US or that Puerto Ricans were US citizens.

I will leave it at.
Yes, I did school you on the riots. The differences between them and today’s situation are total. And I don’t recall saying anything about “watching them on tv.”

Your obsession with the riots is hilarious. You think you’re unique for having been in the vicinity of riots? In what way were you directly impacted? Get beat up? Shot? Arrested yourself? Lose property? Lose friend or relative? What? Or did YOU just watch them on tv?

Were you in Hong Kong for the ‘67 riots there? (I was and had to flee for my life from a mob at one point ... before the Navy shut off liberty calls and the port was closed for months after).

Were you in DaNang or Saigon in ‘66 - ‘72 ... or during the spring of ‘75 when my squadron’s choppers were airlifting American embassy personnel and the last remaining servicemen out of the compound under mob assault? Seen film of that? Do you know the name of that carrier in the newsreels and movies? (USS Hancock CVA19 ... one of the ships I served on)

Were you in Washington DC in ‘68 for those riots? I was on a TDY assignment to the Pentagon then.

So what, bub?

You are calling posters out here constantly, denigrating them for being self-absorbed and callous, without knowing a damn thing about them. Just as you did with me.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:43 PM

So seain, remember this post of yours?

Quote:
No, you make yourself look ignorant. ...

... and this answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

FYI, I am a Gen X'er born in 1967. There are several medical professionals in my family including a nurse and a M.D.

I experienced the riots in '92 first hand, the '94 earthquake and was laid off during the 2008 financial crisis, etc. You know what they say: never ASSUME anything. ...
LMAO re: your constant accusations and assumptions ... case in point.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingRoo View Post

Excellent post. I'll also add this bit of history which tends to be forgotten by the authoritarian types.

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/jewish/....etto-1.5314114

"Work on creating the ghetto had begun in March 1940, when Warsaw’s historical Jewish neighborhood was declared an “epidemic quarantine district,” with signs posted discouraging nonresidents from entering. That month, the Judenrat was ordered to begin building a three-meter-high wall around the designated area, topped with barbed wire."

Watch them spin this one as well.
WTF does this have to do with anything being discussed about the virus in California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles