Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 07:52 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManFromGlad View Post
Thanks for clearing that up!
And thanks for your non sequitur!

Old 01-01-2021, 02:13 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times

Old 01-01-2021, 02:31 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,286,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
My 32-year-old son lives with his girlfriend and her family. They both work at the same grocery company, but at different stores. His gf's sister tested positive for COVID-19; now my son and his girlfriend tested positive as well. They're feeling "okay" so far; he said it feels like a cold with a slight fever and he hasn't lost his sense of smell or taste. Isn't it ironic that they both work at high risk jobs, and yet that's not how they got sick?

While people sit here behind their keyboards pontificating about this and that, real people are continuing to get sick. Community spread is here, so please stay as safe as possible.
Really sorry to hear about this and I hope they are still doing ok. I really have major respect for these essential workers who have to be in front of others as part of their jobs.

I can tell you that my family and I do our part by always wearing a mask when near others and social distancing whenever possible.

It infuriates me when I see other people nonchalant about COVID, in terms of mask wearing, congregating with others or downplaying the real impact this is having on many people. I get that they want to support local businesses (at least they claim this is their rationale), but the way to do this is by ensuring congress passes enough stimulus to get everyone through this time, rather than putting the entire community at risk. Seems that most of the backlash is due to selfishness rather than consideration for others in the community.

Best wishes to you and your family's health in this New Year!

Old 01-01-2021, 03:21 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...130006625.html

Or why Los Angeles should enforce its new travel quarantine.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:45 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Then he got one of the mild strains, there are SIX different strains and a new one that was found in the UK that is already in Colorado, the 6 or 7 strains would explain why a 102 year old woman got it TWICE and survived, while a healthy young mother of two got it and died within days in the ICU, obviously which "strain" you happen to get makes a HUGE difference!
Everything I’ve read said the new strain was more infectious, but not milder or worse. Do you have any links for mild or deadlier strains?

Old 01-01-2021, 05:47 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,553,915 times
Thank you! Everyone has made a full recovery. My son and his gf just got tested again a couple of days ago and they're waiting for the results so they can go back to work. I'm very grateful; although I realize rationally that since only 12% of COVID+ people become hospitalized, that means 88% recover on their own just fine, as a mom I worried - especially because they're both very overweight. I just hope this doesn't deter them from choosing to get vaccinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Really sorry to hear about this and I hope they are still doing ok. I really have major respect for these essential workers who have to be in front of others as part of their jobs.

I can tell you that my family and I do our part by always wearing a mask when near others and social distancing whenever possible.

It infuriates me when I see other people nonchalant about COVID, in terms of mask wearing, congregating with others or downplaying the real impact this is having on many people. I get that they want to support local businesses (at least they claim this is their rationale), but the way to do this is by ensuring congress passes enough stimulus to get everyone through this time, rather than putting the entire community at risk. Seems that most of the backlash is due to selfishness rather than consideration for others in the community.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:56 PM

760 posts, read 769,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Everything I’ve read said the new strain was more infectious, but not milder or worse. Do you have any links for mild or deadlier strains?

I dont have links specifically for milder/deadlier strains, they generalize with the fact that there ARE 6 strains, I saw mention of one that is the most common in Europe, and another that is most common in the USA, but clearly out of these various strains SOMETHING about some or one of them is "milder" since a 102 or whatever it was year old woman had it TWICE and survived, and then someone here posted about a woman who woke up sick one morning and the next day she was dead. I know there's been a lot of cases of both extremes, healthy young people being killed by covid and others having no symptoms or mild ones.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — As new COVID-19 cases hit a record high in Ohio Wednesday, doctors are saying statistics aren’t the only thing about the disease that’s changing, so is the number of strains associated with it.
“We know of at least six strains right now, and these things will keep evolving. That’s how most viruses are,” said Dr. Chaitanya Mandapakala.

Mandapakala treats COVID patients every day and is medical director for chronic lung diseases at St. Elizabeth Hospital.
Mandapakala said there is little known about how any particular strain might affect people. In some viruses, the new strains can be less dangerous, but not always.
“There are some strains that are more infectious, but they cause less severe disease, so it depends,” Mandapakala said.
There is little information about the effects of the separate strains on patients because testing doesn’t differentiate between strains and there are many factors that go into how people are affected.
It leaves lots of questions. “Is a patient doing better because of their age or because of a better strain?” Mandapakala asked.
https://www.wlwt.co
m/article/covid-19-evolves-into-six-separate-virus-strains-as-new-cases-hit-record-levels-in-ohio/34375259#

Old 01-01-2021, 06:18 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio — As new COVID-19 cases hit a record high in Ohio Wednesday, doctors are saying statistics aren’t the only thing about the disease that’s changing, so is the number of strains associated with it.
“We know of at least six strains right now, and these things will keep evolving. That’s how most viruses are,” said Dr. Chaitanya Mandapakala.

m/article/covid-19-evolves-into-six-separate-virus-strains-as-new-cases-hit-record-levels-in-ohio/34375259#
If this is your article, it's from Oct. 14. Possibly there's updated information since then.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/covid-1...ohio/34375259#

Old 01-01-2021, 06:23 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Quote:
I dont have links specifically for milder/deadlier strains, they generalize with the fact that there ARE 6 strains, I saw mention of one that is the most common in Europe, and another that is most common in the USA, but clearly out of these various strains SOMETHING about some or one of them is "milder" since a 102 or whatever it was year old woman had it TWICE and survived, and then someone here posted about a woman who woke up sick one morning and the next day she was dead. I know there's been a lot of cases of both extremes, healthy young people being killed by covid and others having no symptoms or mild ones.

Mandapakala treats COVID patients every day and is medical director for chronic lung diseases at St. Elizabeth Hospital.
Mandapakala said there is little known about how any particular strain might affect people. In some viruses, the new strains can be less dangerous, but not always.
“There are some strains that are more infectious, but they cause less severe disease, so it depends,” Mandapakala said.
There is little information about the effects of the separate strains on patients because testing doesn’t differentiate between strains and there are many factors that go into how people are affected.
It leaves lots of questions. “Is a patient doing better because of their age or because of a better strain?” Mandapakala asked.
https://www.wlwt.co
Thank you. I read about the different strains but not that there were any deadlier. They seemed to go out of their way to say the different strains were not any worse than the original.

It could be that everyone has a different immune system. I rarely get sick. I haven’t had a cold for years and when I do, it’s gone within a couple of days. I have a friend that constantly gets sick. When he gets sick, it hangs on for weeks or months.

Anything is possible, but it’s speculation that there are milder and deadlier strains. Underlying conditions contribute to it.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:34 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post

Millions fail to do what really keeps one healthy, and it's not masks etc etc....it's working to get their own immune systems strong: the younger, older and in the middle people....this is what works....

My little family, took a plane to a Mexican beach for christmas and all have strong immune systems and they went down healthy and came back healthy, and plane both ways was full, not an empty seat....people can't and won't live in fear for ever and ever...we're talking 2 20some yr olds and their mom 57...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-01-2021 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles