Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 07:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Millions fail to do what really keeps one healthy, and it's not masks etc etc....it's working to get their own immune systems strong: the younger, older and in the middle people....this is what works....
I tend to agree. Of course there are always outliers, but when a 102-year-old recovers and a young mother, let's say 35, dies, you can't infer that they got two different strains of the virus. There were probably other significant factors influencing them, because typically a 35-year-old with Covid has about a 1 in 1000 chance of dying, while it's almost a 1 in 5 chance for someone who is 102.* All those old people couldn't have had the "more severe" mutation while all the young people had a "mild" mutation.

*Statistics calculated from the Orange County Covid dashboard.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:23 PM

648 posts, read 431,960 times
In my County in CA it has finally been revealed that 95% of the covid deaths were in people over 65. 75% of deaths were in people 75 and over. Most (they still will not be exact) were rest home related. As the conspiracy theory FOX news commentators said very early on, "this will effect mostly old people in rest homes, so we need to protect them with tests and lock them down, not the whole country."

Old 01-01-2021, 07:34 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Quote:
Millions fail to do what really keeps one healthy, and it's not masks etc etc....it's working to get their own immune systems strong: the younger, older and in the middle people....this is what works....

My little family, took a plane to a Mexican beach for christmas and all have strong immune systems and they went down healthy and came back healthy, and plane both ways was full, not an empty seat....people can't and won't live in fear for ever and ever...we're talking 2 20some yr olds and their mom 57...
That's one reason there are so many cases in Los Angeles. People around here have too much belief in natural medicine. COVID-19 is not the common cold. It's "novel" - the human body hasn't evolved to fight it off well. The immune system can go overboard and cause damage.

And you're supposed to be quarantining if you live in LA and of course minimize travel to begin with.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:35 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoilslick View Post
In my County in CA it has finally been revealed that 95% of the covid deaths were in people over 65. 75% of deaths were in people 75 and over. Most (they still will not be exact) were rest home related. As the conspiracy theory FOX news commentators said very early on, "this will effect mostly old people in rest homes, so we need to protect them with tests and lock them down, not the whole country."
Unfortunately, when you bring this up, you’re accused of being a selfish bastard that only cares about the economy because “every life is precious”.

Never mind they ruin small business and jobs even though data that shows minimal exposure in certain industries.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:37 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
Agreed that people need to take better care of themselves. Yes, we have an obesity epidemic in this country and that should be addressed. For example, many people live in poverty and the poorer areas are considered "food deserts", where they don't have easy access to healthy foods or they're too expensive. People often are also not educated on a healthy diet. In addition, many people don't have access to good health care, which is why I firmly believe there should be healthcare for all in this country. By paying a little more for preventative medicine now, we're saving a lot for all of us later.

But, let's get back to the immediate issue at hand, which is the pandemic. I am glad that you were able to stay safe on your trip. I know a lot of people that haven't been as lucky. And its not all obese people or those with comorbities. Lots of younger or otherwise healthier people get COVID. Perhaps not in the same numbers as in nursing homes, but still significant. Its really a misnomer when I hear people saying that if everyone just took care of themselves, we wouldn't have an issue. My response is that everyone should take care of themselves AND we should do more preventative measures to control COVID.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:32 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
And its not all obese people or those with comorbities. Lots of younger or otherwise healthier people get COVID.
Unfortunately, you're right.

Representative-elect Luke Letlow, a Louisiana Republican, died on Tuesday from complications of Covid-19.

The 41-year-old father of two young children, Letlow became the first member of Congress or member-elect to die from the disease.

His death is a reminder that despite claims to the contrary, the disease can and does affect young and healthy people.

According to a doctor at a Shreveport, Louisiana, hospital where he was treated, Letlow had no underlying conditions that would have predisposed him to serious complications from Covid-19. His death was “all Covid related,” the doctor said.

https://www.vox.com/2020/12/30/22206...id-19-congress

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/12...-complications

Old 01-01-2021, 08:57 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Then he got one of the mild strains, there are SIX different strains and a new one that was found in the UK that is already in Colorado, the 6 or 7 strains would explain why a 102 year old woman got it TWICE and survived, while a healthy young mother of two got it and died within days in the ICU, obviously which "strain" you happen to get makes a HUGE difference!

The biggest problem with Covid is that people behave according to their beliefs of risks. If your only experience with Covid is having or knowing someone who had a mild strain then that is what you believe Covid is. Nothing worse than the flu. Easy to say it's only elderly or very immunocompromised who die.

But if you've had a more serious strain or know someone young who died your beliefs are totally different. I had a more serious strain and for me it was terrible. I work out daily (Peloton bike) and this floored me. Before I got sick I will admit I thought the virus was way overblown. But now I am dealing with lung issues. My primary care doctor said oh this is common, lots of people have lasting effects. I never heard any of this until Covid hit me. People just focus on the 99% survival rate and not the other effects it can have.

Covid doesn't behave like other viruses and this is why our country is so divided on the response we need to have.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
The biggest problem with Covid is that people behave according to their beliefs of risks. If your only experience with Covid is having or knowing someone who had a mild strain then that is what you believe Covid is. Nothing worse than the flu. Easy to say it's only elderly or very immunocompromised who die.

But if you've had a more serious strain or know someone young who died your beliefs are totally different. I had a more serious strain and for me it was terrible. I work out daily (Peloton bike) and this floored me. Before I got sick I will admit I thought the virus was way overblown. But now I am dealing with lung issues. My primary care doctor said oh this is common, lots of people have lasting effects. I never heard any of this until Covid hit me. People just focus on the 99% survival rate and not the other effects it can have.

Covid doesn't behave like other viruses and this is why our country is so divided on the response we need to have.
This, especially in bold.

I am out of patience with posts that much disagree with that. Also, I object to anyone claiming that, in this Los Angeles that is infested with COVID-19, any close-to-normally-staffed workplace is very low risk to its employees (and in turn their families and the public) and would need data to believe that. It seems like there are always bathrooms that multiple workers use and and employees spending some time physically near each other.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:02 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
This, especially in bold.

I am out of patience with posts that much disagree with that. Also, I object to anyone claiming that, in this Los Angeles that is infested with COVID-19, any close-to-normally-staffed workplace is very low risk to its employees (and in turn their families and the public) and would need data to believe that. It seems like there are always bathrooms that multiple workers use and and employees spending some time physically near each other.
I’m out of patience with people posting opinions as fact, without any data to back it up, and misinformation.

You want to link data that says there are more virulent strains, great. Otherwise, anyone can post anything.

The vaccine is 100% effective and gives you immunity for life. Without sources or links, that’s not valid information. See how that works?

Last edited by Mike930; 01-01-2021 at 10:20 PM..

Old 01-01-2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m out of patience with people posting opinions as fact, without any data to back it up, and misinformation.

You want to link data that says there are more virulent strains, great. Otherwise, anyone can post anything.

The vaccine is 100% effective and gives you immunity for life. Without sources or links, that’s not valid information. See how that works?

I've never made such an extreme assertion.

You just claimed there is "data that shows minimal exposure in certain industries." Where, and why should I believe that applies to a city that has a very high infection rate? At some point, there seems to be a snowball effect (toward cases and, less so, deaths), such as right now. It's very annoying to hear someone argue against restrictions when it's this bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles